march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 13, 2009
I have been using this book in my private practise for several years. I work with a considerable number of anxious children and have used many different books over the years. This is my favourite. All parents of anxious children should know about this book !

Children's Therapist
Meg. W.
on October 19, 2010
My 5 year old was suffering from alot of worrying...worrying about going to school and going to bed mostly...but also of trying new things....being in the basement alone too. After going through this book and the excercises with my daughter, I happy to say that she walks right into her senior kindergarten class with a worry. Bedtime has become a breeze and she is realizing that she is in charge of how big her "Tomatoes" grow. My wife and I learned alot too...that alot of the things we were doing to help...were really making things worse. I can't wait to read thru the other titles by this author!!
on June 17, 2014
I liked the ideas in this book but find it too long winded to use with young clients so I condense it and make up the story as we look at
it to make it age appropriate. The concept is sound and the story is worth reading for youth and adults.
on April 24, 2010
This is a great book and I would recommend it for any parent with a child who has anxiety or who worries too much. My son and I sat down together and we went over this book. He connected to it right away and it was as if he had a "light bulb" moment. He is 8 years old and it was very age appropriate. We keep reading it over if we have to but it was really a tremendous help. This author knows how to relate to kids and there anxieties. I even recommend any adult to read it if they are worrysome. It was great, we can all learn from it.
on February 4, 2013
This book is a wonderful , interactive way for us as parents to assist our children in dealing with the stress, anxiety and worries our children have. It includes activities and stories and keeps the childrens interest peaked.
on June 8, 2015
Its a big book and I worried it was too complicated for my daughter who was 7 when I bought this, but no way. She took to it immediately. Now, at 9, she still looks at it during free reading time. The tomato analogy really helped, among many other concepts.
on April 24, 2010
This book was recommended to me by another mother who loved it as well. It is a workbook for kids who have more than the usual fears or anxieties. My daughter loved the book and dove into it right away. It really helped her to understand her worries and how she could control them. It has given her useful strategies to deal with her anxiety and allow her to do fun things that she has avoided in the past like sleepovers.
on September 23, 2011
As a child and youth social worker, I have seen a dramatic increase in children experiencing anxiety and parents who are unsure of how to help them. This is one of my go-to books for helping children to identify and combat their worries in a very real way. While it could definitely be used at home by a parent and child, I recommend that the parent also receives some education (through reading resources or counselling support) on how to help their child with anxiety in addition to this book. One great online resource I recommend for parents is [...]

I love the visuals in What to Do When You Worry Too Much and the comparison to tomatoes always makes even the most nervous child giggle. The activities are fun and meaningful and appear to use cognitive behavioural therapy to help kids recognize the signs of anxiety, practice changing maladaptive thoughts, and then use relaxation and physical activity to regulate their feelings. This book also has a great section explaining how the child's parent is going to stop answering "worry questions" and enabling the anxiety (this is the part I think some parents might want some support with) and explains it in the way that children can understand. This book may be a little too abstract for kids with intellectual disabilties (it could possibly be modified - use your own discretion) but the average child who is fearful, nervous, or a "worry-wart" will usually catch on pretty quickly to the techniques.

One of my favorites!
on January 16, 2012
My 8-year old son suffers from anxiety, and I had been taking him to a therapist for help. I had also been speaking with a therapist myself, and she recommended this book to me for my son.

It is absolutely amazing how much of a difference this book made in both of our lives! The cover illustration got my son interested, and he was quite excited about getting started! In two nights he had read me the entire book, and we had practiced the strategies and gotten familiar with the language as well. He was so excited to practice the strategies on his own, and in fact, slept in his own bed without interrupting me to come into mine for the first night in months.

This book is worth so much more than the sticker price. My son is now actively practing the strategies on his own, and feels much more confident about his ability to deal with his anxiety, or 'Worry Bullies'.

Don't hesitate to get this book for your child if he or she experiences anxiety - I would highly recommend it to anyone.
on March 11, 2016
Really liked this book. A way of explaining a complicated subject to smaller kids. I don't give it a 5 as it was a touch young for my 10 year old, and I can't see if working that great for a 12 year old :-)