I stumbled upon this book several years ago when there weren't as many books (especially good ones) out about IBS. I decided to give it a chance, and I am so glad I did. As a matter of fact, not only am I so glad I found this book, several of my friends and family are too. No, not because my IBS problems subsided but because I've recommended or gifted this book to at least 10 other people.
- Ash's book encourages readers to seek medical help for ruling out other, more serious GI disorders. Not only is that important for readers' wellbeing, it just helps them focus on what the problem actually is.
- Book serves as a great introduction to clean-eating, which is absolutely essential to taming the IBS problem.
- Ash takes a holistic approach to IBS and general GI health. He covers stress, abdominal exercises, and supplements, in addition to the expected subjects of diet and medical care.
- The fruit and vegetable lists, ordered from lowest to highest sugar content, are invaluable resources!
- The grain list, ordered from least likely to cause allergic reactions to more likely, is equally useful.
- The recipes are helpful to give readers a start on putting the individual, allowable food items together.
- He focuses the issue of yeast and its effect on our bodies when it is growing rampantly. I think this is one of the essential takeaways from this book.
- There is a little confusion about certain foods that are allowable for people who don't have a yeast problem in how they are listed in the book. For example, dill and sour pickles are listed in the allowable vegetable list on page 85, but they are listed as prohibited in the chapter about yeast overgrowth. Readers just have to be on the ball when it comes to details.
- The book is a little supplement-heavy for my taste. I tried some of the supplements when I followed the diet, and I had good results. I did not follow all of the supplement advice. Seemed a bit too much. And, seeing as Dr. Ash endorses a specific supplement line, I was a little suspect of it all.
- The book hasn't been updated in many years. I would love to see another edition of this!
Overall, I love this book and highly recommend it.