- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Whisper of the Mother: From Menarche to Menopause Among Women in Pohnpei Hardcover – Sep 30 2001
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
“Maureen Fitzgerald's Whisper of the Mother is an excellent and important work on traditional beliefs and practices surrounding women's important roles as the bearers of children in Pohnpei (Micronesia)....Fitzgerald's work....is a very important contribution to anthropological and scientific research. This would make an excellent addition to both undergraduate and graduate courses in anthropology, education, health services, and medical training.”–Elizabeth Keating Associate Professor Department of Anthropology University of Texas at Austin
“One of the strengths of this monograph is the way in which it is embedded in the culture of Pohnpei, yet sheds light on the experience of other women in other places--all done in such a way that the voices of the female informants can be clearly heard. Congratulations on a fine job.”–Francis X. Hezel, SJ Director of the Micronesian Seminar
“Fitzgerald's monograph is a well researched and valuable contribution to a much neglected topic, the medical anthropology of Micronesia, and it has a special significance. The work addresses another neglected concern, the health and well-being of Micronesian women.”–Robert C. Kiste Director Center for Pacific Islands Studies University of Hawaii
About the Author
MAUREEN H. FITZGERALD is Senior Lecturer, School of Occupation and Leisure Sciences, the University of Sydney.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > Travel
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Women's Health > Menstruation
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Human Geography
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Anthropology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Geography
- Books > Travel > Australia & South Pacific
- Books > Travel > Reference & Tips > Guidebooks