- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Whither Quo Vadis: Sienkiewicz's Novel in Film and Television Hardcover – Dec 15 2008
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"Recommended [to] all readers." (CHOICE, March 2010)
“There is much to admire in this book. It has a clear focus and a good set of questions. It knows its way round the five films and around the classical sources, and is prepared to look at broader issues in relation to the close reading of the films.” (Bryn Mawr Classical Review, March 2009)
“A remarkable achievement! Scodel and Bettenworth have produced a splendid synthesis at once inter-disciplinary and cross-cultural. Informed by fine classical scholarship and incisive film-criticism Whither Quo Vadis is a compelling contribution to the study of world literature, history, religion, cinema studies.”
–John F. Makowski, Loyola University Chicago
“A masterly analysis of all aspects of the art of making a film from a historical novel. Written in a clear, engaging style, it makes an enjoyable read, with extensive references for readers who wish to explore the subject further.”
– David Hahm, Ohio State University
"Anyone interested in the translation of epic novel to epic film will find valuable insights and learned nuggets here, especially concerning gender roles and political subtexts in the four cinematic versions (1912 to 2001) and the 1985 television miniseries."
–Emily Albu, University of California, Davis
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Movies > Adaptations
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Movies > Guides & Reviews
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Greek
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Performing Arts > Film & Television