Wicked Good Barbecue: Fearless Recipes from Two Damn Yankees Who Have Won the Biggest, Baddest BBQ Competition in the World Flexibound – Mar 1 2012
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"This cookbook makes it clear that barbecue competitors Husbands (chef & owner, Tremont 647; The Fearless Chef) and Chris Hart achieve success through an undying commitment to their obsession. Their Seven-Layer Dip is a highbrow concoction of shredded short ribs, crab rémoulade, beef tartare, salmon spread, and more, and their other recipes (except perhaps the cocktails and desserts) are equally challenging. With help from food writer Andrea Pyenson, their prose exudes energy and confidence, and that makes this an entertaining read. VERDICT: Mere mortals may not have the patience for recipes like Six Day Bacon of the Gods or 25-Step Championship Chicken, but fervent BBQ diehards with their eyes on a championship will believe their prayers have been answered." - Library Journal
About the Author
Ken Goodman is a freelance photographer based in New York City. He specializes in food and chef photography, concerts, events, portraits and cookbooks. His work has appeared in Rolling Stone magazine and Art Culinaire, and he has photographed Mario Batali, Jimmy Fallon, Jon Stewart, Michael Stipe, The Edge, Sean "Puffy" Combs, Mariska Hargitay, Stanley Tucci, Jon Bon Jovi, and Anthony Bourdain (among others). Prior to his photography career, he spent 20 years in the restaurant industry as a classically trained chef, culinary educator, and restaurant consultant.
Andrea Pyenson has been writing about food for more than a decade and enjoying it for a lot longer than that. Her writing about food and travel has appeared in The Boston Globe, edible Boston, edible Cape Cod, msn.com, oneforthetable.com, The Washington Post, and Fine Cooking, among others. Pyenson was associate editor of The Boston Globe Illustrated New England Seafood Cookbook and assistant editor of 52 Weeks Cheap Eats: Dining Deals in Greater Boston.
Andy Husbands, the award-winning chef/owner of Tremont 647, has been enticing patrons with his adventurous American cuisine at the South End neighborhood restaurant and bar for well over a decade. A James Beard "Best Chef" semi-finalist, Andy competed in the sixth season of Fox Television Network's "Hells Kitchen" with Gordon Ramsay.
Multi-award-winning author, journalist, cooking teacher, and TV host, Steven Raichlen is the man who reinvented barbecue. His best-selling Barbecue Bible cookbook series and The Primal Grill and Barbecue University(tm) TV shows on PBS have helped people all over the world ascend the ladder of grilling enlightenment.
Chris Hart, winner of the Jack Daniel Invitational World Championship in 2009, has dominated the competition BBQ circuit for the past 10 years with his team, iQUE. The team was the first group of northerners in barbecue history to win a World Championship. Chris spends his days developing software, but his passion for cooking barbecue has him following the competition BBQ trail on weekends, pitting his talents against the best pitmasters in the U.S. In 2010, Chris cooked an elaborate barbecue tasting menu at the James Beard House in NYC.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
In addition to all of the great information, the photography in this book is excellent!
Wicked Good Barbecue: Fearless Recipes from Two Damn Yankees Who Have Won the Biggest, Baddest BBQ Competition in the World
A lot of ingredients used in competition cooking cannot be found at the supermarket, and it's great that the authors included a guide on where to find key ingredients and tools.
You have to know, that we have met Chris, Andy and ALL the iQue team since we went to our first BBQ competiton experience back in 2003 in Lowell, MA. We have BBQ'd with many team's helping out, and couldn't wait to see this book, PERIOD! So, in brief, here is what you will find and love...and I MEAN LOVE!!
1. USER FRIENDLY: Whether you are a seasoned veteran in the BBQ competition world, or a newby, or just someone who wants WONDERFUL recipes, you will find incredible thing's to make! This book has recipe's that anyone can make, to ultra incredible delights that will tickle your taste buds beyond control, yet cost a bit more, or take a smoker or two to make. However, each recipe gives exact measurements, and controlled cooking times, and especially important TIPS. This includes how to make each recipe and any other extra things you might need. These boy's have provided the proper tools, smokers, wood, charcoal, and just everything to do what YOU want to make in WORLD CLASS BBQ, that these Master's have accomplished over the years,(and proudly so), or other recipes you can WOW your friends with! It doesn't matter if you want to make good competion BBQ , or other recipes in the book, you will prevail in good food and eat's for all! PERIOD!
2. WHO IS THIS FOR? Novice to pro, and EVERYONE inbetween! iQue has given BBQ secrets that WE wondered about for year's. Especially wood chunks!! We ALWAY'S soak our's at home, they say NO! We will follow and test and maybe enjoy more good eat's!! Just all the little thing's this team has provided for good 'Q '!! NICE!! Yet, they provide delish' recipes for anyone who wants to provide tasty dishes to a broad range of people who enjoy just 'plain good food'~ From main dishes, to side dishes, dessert & DRINKS, this book provides any lunch or dinner party food your guests will be AMAZED at!! They will be talking forever about these dishes for sure!
3. WHAT WILL YOU FIND? You will find so many wonderful recipes and stories!! These boy's not only gave us their secret's to KCBS BBQ, but also secret's when a competition includes 'anything but', or grilling competition's. As these guy's are professional's, they guard their secret's even when we come to say 'hi' at their 'pop up tent's' in our local competition site's, in New England or anywhere in the USA! Yet, last nite, we tried one of their recipes, Collosal stuffed crab cake stuffed shrimp, and know why they win. Yummy. You will also FIND great link's listed in the end of the product's they have used and use from sauce's to spices and sponsor's that they have gained doing their incredible BBQ. Great link's!
4. THE STORY... We LOVE BBQ book's written by real BBQ competitor's that write storie's, real life stuff. And the iQue team did this, and more~~ From their win's all over the nation including the Jack Daniels World Championship win in 2009, to all the State's in NE, including State's of NY, NH, VT, etc. to brisket #1 at the Royal, they start each recipe with a story. That mean's alot, to the background of the recipe, how it started, when they got it (from their Mom, etc.) just awesome!
5. AND LAST...THE PHOTOGRAPHY OF THIS BOOK, FOOD SHOT'S!! OMGosh. I first met Ken Goodman years ago, but most important when he starting shooting the book pic's in Lake Placid, NY. His pic's were amazing as he showed me then, and throughout the year's since, even more amazing! My wife had a 'native american vision' that Ken would fly in his 'new venture' of photography. Boy was she right!! Ken has flown, since that day in Lake Placid, NY and has continued to be sure. His incredible picture's are beyond anything that can come close. He is now photographing Mario Batalli, Anthony Bourdain, and numerous other celebrities. He is FLYING with his photo's and status. PLEASE, check out this wonderful man's website, listed here in the book description. An amazing man, we have come to know, learn from and quite frankly adore!! Each picture of the iQue team he has shot, we have almost been there, throughout. Yet each picture in the book, looks just the same during 'turn-in's' as they do when making them in your home! (Remember, we just made the Collosal stuffed shrimp dish~~photo's to follow, yet we are NOT Ken, don't have that camera...only a Cannon!! ;))
Well enough said for now. In closing, this is a book about a New England BBQ team who fought the odd's, over the year's and not only made it in a BBQ Nation of over 4,000 team's to #1, but did it with good 'Q', and PRIDE that we are all proud of, especially here in NEW ENGLAND! From Chris Hart being on "FOOD NETWORK'S INAUGURAL SEASON OF 'BEST in SMOKE', to Andy 'OC' Husband's excellent cookbook "THE FEARLESS CHEF", as well as being on 'HELL'S KITCHEN' with Gordon Ramsey, to his wonderful CHEF/OWNER restaurant TREMONT 647, located in Boston, MA, & Andrea Pyenson's writing...and finally, KEN GOODMAN'S AMAZING PHOTO'S of the INCREDIBLE FOOD the iQue team produced...WOW...WOW, AND DOUBLE WOW!! ENJOY, learn, and love the read....we did!