We have competed with numerous teams since 2003. We have never formed our OWN team, but hung out, and learned from the BEST in New England. Hey, NE teams have won the Jack Daniels World Championship 4 years in a row! Hummmm...DOES that say something? Anyway, we first heard about this book last year, and when we were told we could pre-buy the book, we did. It was due out in April, 2012. Much to our delight, it came out this past week!(Feb. 2012) OMGOSH, don't get no better than this, we said! Our copy arrived on Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2012. The wife got home after work, and she was upset that I wouldn't let her read it, see it, etc. I was engrosed, not only from the format, but the pictures, foward, and everything else I was thumbing through the pages for the past 4 hours. From the first read of the book, the forward, not to mention the chapters, I could NOT put this book down.
You have to know, that we have met Chris, Andy and ALL the iQue team since we went to our first BBQ competiton experience back in 2003 in Lowell, MA. We have BBQ'd with many team's helping out, and couldn't wait to see this book, PERIOD! So, in brief, here is what you will find and love...and I MEAN LOVE!!
1. USER FRIENDLY: Whether you are a seasoned veteran in the BBQ competition world, or a newby, or just someone who wants WONDERFUL recipes, you will find incredible thing's to make! This book has recipe's that anyone can make, to ultra incredible delights that will tickle your taste buds beyond control, yet cost a bit more, or take a smoker or two to make. However, each recipe gives exact measurements, and controlled cooking times, and especially important TIPS. This includes how to make each recipe and any other extra things you might need. These boy's have provided the proper tools, smokers, wood, charcoal, and just everything to do what YOU want to make in WORLD CLASS BBQ, that these Master's have accomplished over the years,(and proudly so), or other recipes you can WOW your friends with! It doesn't matter if you want to make good competion BBQ , or other recipes in the book, you will prevail in good food and eat's for all! PERIOD!
2. WHO IS THIS FOR? Novice to pro, and EVERYONE inbetween! iQue has given BBQ secrets that WE wondered about for year's. Especially wood chunks!! We ALWAY'S soak our's at home, they say NO! We will follow and test and maybe enjoy more good eat's!! Just all the little thing's this team has provided for good 'Q '!! NICE!! Yet, they provide delish' recipes for anyone who wants to provide tasty dishes to a broad range of people who enjoy just 'plain good food'~ From main dishes, to side dishes, dessert & DRINKS, this book provides any lunch or dinner party food your guests will be AMAZED at!! They will be talking forever about these dishes for sure!
3. WHAT WILL YOU FIND? You will find so many wonderful recipes and stories!! These boy's not only gave us their secret's to KCBS BBQ, but also secret's when a competition includes 'anything but', or grilling competition's. As these guy's are professional's, they guard their secret's even when we come to say 'hi' at their 'pop up tent's' in our local competition site's, in New England or anywhere in the USA! Yet, last nite, we tried one of their recipes, Collosal stuffed crab cake stuffed shrimp, and know why they win. Yummy. You will also FIND great link's listed in the end of the product's they have used and use from sauce's to spices and sponsor's that they have gained doing their incredible BBQ. Great link's!
4. THE STORY... We LOVE BBQ book's written by real BBQ competitor's that write storie's, real life stuff. And the iQue team did this, and more~~ From their win's all over the nation including the Jack Daniels World Championship win in 2009, to all the State's in NE, including State's of NY, NH, VT, etc. to brisket #1 at the Royal, they start each recipe with a story. That mean's alot, to the background of the recipe, how it started, when they got it (from their Mom, etc.) just awesome!
5. AND LAST...THE PHOTOGRAPHY OF THIS BOOK, FOOD SHOT'S!! OMGosh. I first met Ken Goodman years ago, but most important when he starting shooting the book pic's in Lake Placid, NY. His pic's were amazing as he showed me then, and throughout the year's since, even more amazing! My wife had a 'native american vision' that Ken would fly in his 'new venture' of photography. Boy was she right!! Ken has flown, since that day in Lake Placid, NY and has continued to be sure. His incredible picture's are beyond anything that can come close. He is now photographing Mario Batalli, Anthony Bourdain, and numerous other celebrities. He is FLYING with his photo's and status. PLEASE, check out this wonderful man's website, listed here in the book description. An amazing man, we have come to know, learn from and quite frankly adore!! Each picture of the iQue team he has shot, we have almost been there, throughout. Yet each picture in the book, looks just the same during 'turn-in's' as they do when making them in your home! (Remember, we just made the Collosal stuffed shrimp dish~~photo's to follow, yet we are NOT Ken, don't have that camera...only a Cannon!! ;))
Well enough said for now. In closing, this is a book about a New England BBQ team who fought the odd's, over the year's and not only made it in a BBQ Nation of over 4,000 team's to #1, but did it with good 'Q', and PRIDE that we are all proud of, especially here in NEW ENGLAND! From Chris Hart being on "FOOD NETWORK'S INAUGURAL SEASON OF 'BEST in SMOKE', to Andy 'OC' Husband's excellent cookbook "THE FEARLESS CHEF", as well as being on 'HELL'S KITCHEN' with Gordon Ramsey, to his wonderful CHEF/OWNER restaurant TREMONT 647, located in Boston, MA, & Andrea Pyenson's writing...and finally, KEN GOODMAN'S AMAZING PHOTO'S of the INCREDIBLE FOOD the iQue team produced...WOW...WOW, AND DOUBLE WOW!! ENJOY, learn, and love the read....we did!