- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Windows 7 Annoyances: Tips, Secrets, and Solutions Paperback – May 14 2010
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Tools and Techniques to Improve Your Experience with Windows 7
About the Author
David A. Karp is the author of twelve power-user books, including the bestselling Windows Annoyances series of books and O'Reilly's eBay Hacks. David's books are available in ten languages, and can be found under the short legs of tables around the world.
David is the founder of Annoyances.org, one of the most respected and popular computer help sites on the Interwebs. He writes for PC Magazine, but they're curiously reluctant to publish photos of his bicycle. Notable recognition has come from PC Computing, Windows Magazine, the San Francisco Examiner, and the New York Times.
He scored 30.96647% on the Geek Test (http://www.innergeek.us/), earning a rating of "Total Geek." He hopes future revisions of the test reward publishing his score in the backs of computer books. David spends nearly every spare moment with his son.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
This book is for those who have been using Win 7 for a while and want to sort out some of the quirks of Win 7 and customize it so it runs the way you want, not the way Microsoft thinks you want. From simple tweaks using some of the drop down menus to diving into the Registry to get at a hidden function or two. Sometimes back to that old DOS prompt.
A mass of information which gives an insight into the mishmash of different software activity that lies behind that friendly(?) GUI.
Some of it you may never really need to know but it gives a better understanding of the why windows operates (or doesn't operate) the way it does.
My Win 7 experience would have bee much less frustrating if I had bought this book sooner. :-)
As well, the attitude is about right. Slightly snarky, but understanding that we're *not* MS Windows target market, so we have to expect things to be less than optimal from our point of view.
Having the OS anticipate what the user wants and doing it for him works nicely 90% of the time. But the other 10% of the time, it leaves the user so far up the creek without a paddle that it more than cancels out the 90%.
"Windows 7 Annoyances" provides a paddle.
Most recent customer reviews
Like the title says, Annoyances are covered and easy to follow references are made to hel[p you understand Win. 7.
A good book to keep on your desk.
It is a well written review of many things I really did not know. I should have purchased the book prior to actually buying win7. Read morePublished on April 24 2012 by OLE GERMER
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Hardware > PC Buyers' Guides
- Books > Computers & Technology > Microsoft > Operating Systems > Windows NT Server
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Administration
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Operating Systems