- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Windows Phone 7 Secrets Paperback – Nov 9 2010
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Windows Phone 7 Secrets is the ultimate insider's guide to Microsoft's new smart phone platform. This book will take you deep behind the scenes and tell you not just how it works, but why it works the way it does and how you can overcome the platform's few limitations. You'll benefit from Paul Thurrott's unprecedented early access to the Windows Phone development team and discover tactics, strategies, and secrets for using the new features and functionality of Windows Phone 7 to your advantage. And just as important, you'll find out where Windows Phone falls short, and what you can do about it. Throughout the book, personalized notes and highlights from Paul provide the additional details you need to master Windows Phone 7 and make it your own.
The Insider's Guide to:
- What to do before you get your Windows Phone
- Integrating your social networks and online services into a single view
- Understanding how the Metro user interface works, and why it works the way it does
- Fully customizing the Windows Phone UI to work the way you want it to
- Enjoying digital music, photos, videos, and games on the go
- Browsing the mobile web to find what you need when and where you need it
- Being productive with e-mail, calendaring, and Office Mobile
- Utilizing Windows Phone's tremendous phone and messaging capabilities
- Discovering tons of secrets, tips, and more
The Secrets series reveals:
- Authoritative information in highlighted areas
- Exceptional advice in the margin notes
- Unique insight from years of author experience
- Rarely revealed tips and techniques
- Invaluable shortcuts and workarounds
- Insider TipsExpert advice to help you optimize performance
- Valuable InsightsEye-opening descriptions of poorly documentedor undocumented features and procedures
- Unbeatable AdviceReal-world workarounds and little-known tipsand techniques
About the Author
Paul Thurrott runs SuperSite for Windows, a world-renowned Windows-oriented website. He is the author of more than 20 books about technology, a columnist for Windows IT Pro Magazine, and the co-host of the popular Windows Weekly podcast with Leo Laporte.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Thurrott's book is very readable, and very thorough. There are many pictures of critical screens in the book for those that are more visually oriented. In addition to the actual phone software, Thurrott explains the ecosystem of non-phone software that you will want to interface with (for example Zune software).
Windows Phone 7 has very impressive capabilities and if you want to rapidly discover these and utilize them this book is great.
Notes on the Kindle version: I did see some formatting errors in a few places. There were more than I have seen in some other books but not a big deal. The graphics by and large look okay but some are a little hard to make out. I would say these are actually better than average for the Kindle, but a hardcopy would still be a bit better. I intend on buying future tech books in Kindle format as I just don't have the space for large hardcopies and the presentation is perfectly adequate for my uses.
It is also not Microsoft centered, it talks about connecting the phone to the world, and not only to the Microsoft environment.
A significant portion of the book focuses on the integration of the phone and Windows Live and Zune. And rightly so, as leveraging these services to the fullest extent will help you maximize your experience with Windows Phone 7. If you are new to Windows Live and/or Zune, than I would highly recommend this book. However, if you're a veteran to either or both of these services, than I question how much value you'll get from the book. I don't think you'll learn a great deal of "secrets".
As another reviewer mentioned, there are a LOT of formatting issues with the Kindle version. More than any other Kindle book I've read. It's bad enough to be difficult to read at times.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Microsoft > Operating Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Mobile Phones, Tablets & E-Readers > Handheld & Mobile Devices
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Electrical & Electronics > Electronics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Telecommunications > Radio & Wireless
- Books > Textbooks