countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

on June 1, 2010
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. It's funny, a little crude (which I appreciate when it comes to how obscure the subject of our internal workings can be) touching, and on point.

As a young woman, diets and diet-culture is a constant issue. My friends and I have grown up hyper-aware of our bodies, to various degrees. When you grow up in a culture that's obsessed with the sexualization of women and girls, that has an un-reasonable beauty standard and yet is constantly marketing food to you, it can all be too much.

The book was an easy read, but made a lot of great points. I was initially put off by the word "god" in the title, but turns out there's no religious aspect to the book at all, she just talks about life / the universe / how things are. Diets don't work. And having an issue with food or suffering from an eating disorder is more complicated than just going on a diet or adopting a "get'er done" attitude. She explores that.

I would recommend the book to anyone who has issues with food and with their bodies. It's a nice read, the tone is light and Geneen really writes as an ally, it's not some patronizing, medicalizing, overly theoretical lecture. It's a funny friend making things clear with the best of intentions.
on March 29, 2013
It is not just about a relationship with food, but the same message can be given for anything we have some subtle or overt struggle with... alcohol, drugs, shopping, anything. This sets the stage for our having a deeper understanding of where we are coming from. This is not a religious book by the way, but rather a spiritual one, that delves into our deepest places. I'm now reading it for the second time (in a row!), and this time taking notes. Once is not enough of a read for this book.
on May 6, 2010
An interesting read. I purchased this book not because of eating too much but more about an insight into relationships with food in all aspects, not just consuming it. I am addicted to cooking it... I just love to cook at length and use cooking as a way of escaping from my every day life. Any way you look at it, most of us try to escape in our lives, whether it be from people or situations, or our own feelings. This book had great insights and the bottom line is that at the end of day you can use something.. a consumption, that we think will make us feel better... but at the end, the same problem is there and now we just have to deal with the original problem AND the fact that we tried to hide from it while consuming something else. In essence we feel worse cause now we have to deal with more and it becomes self perpetuating. I don't often read self help books all the way to the end but this one I did.
on August 25, 2011
This book began the transformation for me from 40 years of continuous less and less successful attempts to diet to really beginning to taste and use food in a much more pleasurable way. I discovered that the dieting I have done was actually abusive to myself and kept me from truly being with myself in my feelings. I was either eating to numb out or restricting myself so strictly that I was always angry with myself for not being able to stay with a program or for eating too much. I was never happy with myself and I was addicted to this behaviour. I thought it was the way I would finally win the battle.
This book helped me to see the falacy in that thinking. I felt like Geneen was talking to me directly. I haven't dieted for over a year. I have gained and lost 10 pounds once during that time but that is not the most important thing anymore. I am beginning to see how truly cruel I have been to myself all these years. I believe this is the way to a healthier, happier lifestyle as I start to love myself and take in life in other ways than inhaling food.
on August 8, 2010
I purchased the cd version. This is the most real, user-friendly self help book I have ever encountered. I have joined a paid for on-line pre-recorded workshop,led by Geneen Roth, a free 15 week Oprah site where partcipants can journal privately or post publically....Life changing,not another diet, takes focus, not a quick fix and it addresses the flat lives we lead when dulled by any addiction.
on December 13, 2010
Geneen's words cut like a knife. They are a wake up call! I feel that this book may lead us to final peace with food. We all know that it has never been about what we are eating but rather, what is eating us. She really taps into areas that we may be afraid to face...but we really need to, in order to find peace of mind...and peace of body once and for all!
on July 2, 2010
With this book Geneen has taught me more about my emotions than 35 years of living, reading and questioning has.
I'd been looking under every rock and it fell into my lap disguised - can you believe it? - as a diet book.

I have no issue with my weight, but i do have more than my share of food insanity. Like Geneen, I felt peaceful and connected when I meditated, only to discover that I had put my old "misery coat" back on later on in the day. With her own story (and a promise that the bark is wayyy worse than the bite) Geneen gives us the courage to confront our icky feelings and (finally!) overcome them.

Ya. Just like that.

If you're looking for a way to stop living your life in your head, this is it. Enjoy!
on July 30, 2010
This book REALLY hit home for me. Having been an emotional eater for most of my adult life, this book gave me such wonderful insight on why I am this way, and more importantly, the steps I can take to rid myself of the title of "Emotional Eater". Thank you so much Ms. Roth for helping us become more aware of who we really are! Bravo!
on June 1, 2015
This is an insightful book. I read it in small chunks and it has given me some insight into habits and relationships. It's not as amazing as friends made it out to be, but I think it's worth a read, especially if you can't afford therapy.
on May 10, 2010
this book beats all diet books out there, this is not a diet book and yet it is the best book ever to help you lose weight and keep it off and the best part, you don't have to give up any of your favorite foods.