Women of Faith Study Bible
offers a feminine perspective on an age-old text. In numerous places, the editors insert interpretations that celebrate and elevate women's status in the Bible. "Some have said that in times when men are spiritually weak God uses women instead," the editors write in the Book of Samuel. "It is probably more accurate to say the deeds and faith of women are simply more apparent in those times. For the Lord gives gifts and callings to all
In the opening pages readers will find a "Weekly Studies Index" that references the Old and New Testaments with metaphorical themes such as "Uncharted Waters," "Are You a Bush or a Tree?" and "Jars of Clay." It also offers almost 80 full-page "Character Sketches" that profile women from the Bible, such as "Eve, Mother of Discontent," "Jezebel--Bent on Evil," and "Noah's Wife: Along for the Ride or a Partner in Adventure?" (The latter sketch tries to imagine the thoughts and actions of this almost invisible wife: "Perhaps she resented all the extra work Noah's obsession caused.") Other features include a timeline of women in the Bible, a genealogy of Jesus, and a dictionary of biblical terms.
One disappointment is the thin paper stock, limiting its shelf life and making it fragile for a daily reader. Fortunately, the 13-page spread of full-color maps is printed on heavy stock paper. --Gail Hudson
From the Back Cover
God wants to fill up your days with his wonderful gift of grace and love. Let the NIV Women of Faith Study Bible help you remove performance-based barriers between yourself and God. Discover how women in Biblical times handled struggles similar to yours; gain confidence in Christ's message of grace and freedom; and celebrate your unique, God-given womanhood. In partnership with Women of Faith, this Bible has been written specifically with today's Christian woman in mind, with the main goal of helping you experience the liberating grace of God.
Key Features of the NIV Women of Faith Study Bible
· Study Notes. Over 1,700 study notes shed light on the setting, meaning and application of specific passages or themes. Over 200 quotes of women of the past and present are quoted-from historic writers and poets such as Catherine of Siena and Elizabeth Barrett Browning to Women of Faith speakers/authors Patsy Clairmont, Barbara Johnson, Marilyn Meberg, Luci Swindoll, Sheila Walsh, and Thelma Wells.
· Character Sketches. Full-page articles describe the challenges and opportunities of over 75 women of the Bible. Learn from both the good and the not-so-good responses of these women to their situations and God's working in their lives.
· "Enjoying God" Studies. For use individually or in a small group, these 52 studies explore key passages that reveal deep meaning and application for you as a woman today.
· Book Introductions highlight the actions of the women in each book, give pertinent background information, and list all the women who occur in that book.
· Women in Jesus' Family Tree. God's careful selection of women in the Messianic line will inspire hope and purpose for your own life.
· New International Version. Most read, most trusted translation.
· Comprehensive Study Helps. A concordance, center-column reference system, and color maps help you get the most out of your Bible studies.
The NIV Women of Faith Study Bible is a guide you can trust. Filled with insight, it helps you connect with women of the past, present, and future, and it will lead you to new insight as you continue your own journey as a woman of faith.