- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
A Word A Day: A Romp through Some of the Most Unusual and Intriguing Words in English Paperback – Oct 1 2002
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"Anu and Stuti Garg?s many readers await their A Word A Day rations hungrily. Now at last here's a feast for them and other verbivores. Eat up!" —Barbara Wallraff, senior editor at The Atlantic Monthly and authors of Word Court
"AWADies will be familiar with Anu and Stuti Garg?s refreshing approach to words: words are fun and they have fascinating histories. The people who use them have curious stories to tell too, and this collection incorporates some of the correspondence received by the editors at the AWAD site, from advice on how to outsmart your opponent in a duel (or even a truel), to a cluster of your favorite mondegreens." —John Simpson, Chief Editor, Oxford English Dictionary
"A banquet of words! Feast and be nourished!" —Richard Lederer, author of The Miracle of LanguageSee all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
The English language is constantly evolving. Those who lived in the Middle Ages would be bewildered by the common tongue of today. Our democratic culture guarantees that English will never ossify and be under the control of an elite oligarchy. We will keep on adding more words and reinterpreting some in new ways previously thought not acceptable. Thus, Anu Garg will never be able to rest knowing that his task is finished. He has a job for life. The author thankfully possesses more than sufficient talent to handle these responsibilities. Almost certainly Garg's delightful wife Stuti and their wonderful five year old daughter Ananya will continue to offer their assistance. This is a fantastic book that should definitely grace your personal bookshelf. Moreover, it also makes a splendid gift for just about any occasion.
Buy the book, though. The quotations alone are worth the price, and Anu deserves some return for the AWAD website that he has provided free of charge for nearly 10 years. But the book would have been a much better value if it had been twice the length, which it could easily have been, given Anu's virtuosity.
Don't miss it!
Most recent customer reviews
This book is a compilation put out by Mr. Anu Garg. If you are not familiar with Mr. Garg, he keeps the "Word a Day" email list. Mr. Read morePublished on July 2 2003 by Heather Buri
I strongly recommend against buying this book. As someone who can pretty much ace an SAT or any vocabulary test, I can tell you that basically no matter who you are, you will find... Read morePublished on April 26 2003
I will keep it brief because the title of this book explains its subject matter well. This is a well-written, intriguing little book that begs to be pored over at one's leisure. Read morePublished on April 15 2003 by D. Friedman
A joyful read and delightfully funny! I only gave it four stars because it could have been longer! I await Anu's next book.Published on Jan. 22 2003 by Tracy
I am a word addict and this fulfills the need. A great gift for anyone who constantly asks, "what is the true meaning behind..."Published on Dec 28 2002 by Michelaneous by Michele
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Art
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Alphabet
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Communication
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Etymology
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Usage
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Vocabulary, Slang, & Word Lists
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Culture
- Books > Textbooks > Communication & Journalism > Communications
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics
- Books > Textbooks > Reference