|New from||Used from|
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Here is a major contribution to the scholarship of Fascism. The more than 500 separately authored entries are written by 125 experts in Fascism studies. Like the authors, the entries represent the multidisciplinary nature of Fascism studies, covering history, political science, philosophy, and religion in entries on people, political parties and movements, and key geographical areas. Entries average 1 to 2 pages, but there are some longer articles, such as the 6-page article on France. Although the majority of entries deal with the twentieth century, meaning there should be no shortage of available images, there are only a few black-and-white illustrations, mostly attached to biographical entries.
See also references appear at the end of each article, but sometimes the list of related entries is so long it can be overwhelming, and the fact that the references are all listed in capital letters makes them difficult to read. Each entry concludes with a list of references to outside sources, which will be useful for students pursuing research projects. Other content includes a list of entries at the beginning of each volume, a bibliography arranged by broad subject areas that will be especially useful to those working on research projects, and a chronology that runs from 1861 to 2004.
There is one major drawback to this encyclopedia. Students without prior knowledge will not find it to be a useful source for background information, a key role of a subject encyclopedia. Some advanced undergraduates or beginning graduate students studying political science or modern history may find it useful if they are inclined to use a subject encyclopedia. The most valuable entry for undergraduates is the one they are least likely to read, the 26-page introduction, which provides background information and an overview of Fascist studies. But because it is in the front matter and never referenced elsewhere, students are unlikely to find it. Recommended with reservations for universities with faculty and graduate students working in the area of Fascist studies. Jessica Moyer
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved
• Summarizes the key debates and controversies in the history of fascism (e.g., were General Francisco Franco's falangists truly fascist? Was German Nazism fundamentally different from Italian Fascism?)
• Explores the distinction between fascism and such phenomena as militarism, authoritarianism, and traditional conservatism, and analyzes the significance of factors such as fear of communism and the economic hardships of the 1930s
• Discusses the factors behind the growth of contemporary neo-Nazi and other far-right movements across the world
• Explores the relationship between fascism and racism, homophobia, militarism, and misogyny
• 500 A–Z entries on fascist leaders and the movements, doctrines, and key events associated with fascism
• An extensive index that enables readers to locate topics quickly and easily
• Information about fascism as a worldwide movement from a wide range of sources
• Contributions from over 100 scholars from more than 20 nations
"One review cannot do justice to the scope of this outstanding work, which will be a crucial purchase for all academic libraries and a very important one for larger public libraries."-
"World Fascism: A Historical Encyclopedia is a unique addition that fills a glaring void in the reference literature for serious students of the postwar period. … unrivaled in its depth and scope, World Fascism is highly recommended for all academic and public library collections serving political science and history students and researchers."-
Reference & User Services Quarterly
"This work makes an important and valuable contribution to the literature of history and political science. No similar English-language work is currently available. Highly recommended for all public and academic libraries."-
"Here is a major contribution to the scholarship of Fascism."-
BooklistSee all Product Description