"This book is an invaluable resource for developers building XML Web Services with Microsoft .NET."
-Rob Howard, Program Manager, ASP.NET Team, Microsoft Corporation
"Given the flood of cookie-cutter books, it's refreshing to find a technical book written with such an optimal mix of clarity, conciseness, and quality as this one."
-Michael Lane Thomas, .NET Evangelist, Microsoft Corporation
Microsoft's .NET Framework opens up a whole new world of Web services. This comprehensive guide shows you how to get a handle on the new .NET and XML Web services tools - and get up to speed on building your own next-generation Web applications. Using plenty of ASP.NET examples in Visual Basic .NET and C#, .NET expert Bill Evjen explains step by step how to construct and consume both simple and complex Web services. Along the way, he demonstrates how to incorporate many key technologies into your applications, including WSDL, UDDI, Disco, SOAP, authentication, encryption, ADO.NET, and .NET Remoting. Evjen also offers practical tips and techniques for error and exception handling, optimization, and other advanced issues.
You will learn how to:
* Build XML Web services using ASP. NET and Visual Basic .NET or C#
* Consume Web services in a Web or Windows form
* Describe and discover Web services using WSDL, UDDI, and Disco
* Strengthen Web services by expanding SOAP messages
* Lock in Web services security with authentication and encryption
* Tap in to SQL Server data for your Web services using ADO.NET
* Tackle advanced Web services programming issues
* Work with .NET Remoting
The companion Web site features all the source code from the book.