This is a weird DVD to review.
I had never heard of "Yo Gabba Gabba" until one day, my wife calls me into the room because she saw this commercial with Jack Black on a kids' show. Since both of us are Jack Black fans, and we have an 18 month old daughter who seemed interested in the commercial, I figured I would check it out on Amazon.
After reading the good reviews and cheap price of $11.99, I figured, "Why not?"
Well, after watching this DVD, I came up with the following conclusions:
1) This is a bright, colorful, music-filled head-on assault on all visual and auditory senses...which is a VERY good thing for young kids.
2) The odd cast of characters teach a number of very valuable lessons for children (ie: don't bite your friends, teamwork, like fish, etc.), in a fun, if sometimes strangely catching musical way.
3) Speaking of the music, songs range from pretty darn good, to catchy, to somewhat catchy, to grating on your last nerve. An impressive spectrum to say the least.
4) There are a wealth of very good celebrity guest appearances which will surprise most adults, as many of them are popular with grown-ups.
5) Here's the important one...this show is almost guaranteed to be created by people who are stoned...constantly.
Now, if you like, strike that last comment (#5) if it offends you, as I don't mean to offend anyone here...but if you watch the DVD, you will completely understand what I mean.
For instance, just watch the video where the Japanese rock band sings the very manic song where they continually count from 1 to 6.
A very odd and almost psychedelic experience to say the least (the whole show is actually psychedelic)...and really the one that least seems to be geared towards young kids.
Other than that, this DVD is a super value at $12, as you get quite a bit of playing time, and tons of entertainment.
Also, and this really is the most important thing...my daughter absolutely LOVES this show. When I put it on, she looks at me with a huge smile on her face, and claps her hands. Then, once it's on, she stays glued to the TV until the very end.
That, my friends, is utterly PRICELESS.
Add to that the fact that even adults can have fun watching it with their kids, and you have a no-brainer of a buy.
5/5 stars for sure.