march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: DVD|Change

on December 22, 2011
I am 6 weeks post back surgery. I was in desperate need to find something for stretching my back and hip muscles. I had Spinal Stenosis and a Herniated disc for almost a year, which resulted in severe hip and leg pain. As a result I had limit mobility. I received the DVD two days ago and have used it once a day since. I found the stretches perfect, because I am still in pain from the operation didn't find the poses strenuous or hard to do. My back feel much better after doing the video, and hoping to eventually get back into regular yoga. The DVD is not for intermediate or advanced people who practise yoga, but perfect for those who have dealt with chronic or severe back pain. I would recommend the DVD to anyone!
on February 10, 2009
I have ordered many yoga DVDs looking for one that would stretch and strengthen, rather than stress and strain my back. This is the best one that i have found. This DVD truly helps a sore lower back. My only complaint is that it is only 20-25 minutes, i would prefer it to be longer.
on September 8, 2003
Excellent yoga instructor Rodney Yee offers this 3-part workout focused on strengthening back muscles to maintain a healthy back. He utilizes props (blanket, bolster, chair, brick, strap) to make the poses more gentle and accessible to those at all levels of fitness (although absolute beginners should stick to his previous video, Back Care Yoga for Beginners).
The first 16-minute section concentrates on simple stretches to warm up your back muscles. Poses are done either while lying on the floor or in a seated position, and Rodney uses a blanket to increase range of motion. The second workout is a bit longer (around 18 minutes) and places greater emphasis on strength moves. It begins with simple backbends (eg, cat pose) and moves on to standing poses modified by use of a chair; it ends with a series of lying stretches. In the final workout, Rodney uses a wider variety of props, including TWO chairs and both the blanket AND the bolster. This is a slow-moving, approximately 16-minute practice which focuses on relaxation through practicing a small number of poses for a longer period of time.
At times, Rodney's reliance on props is a bit distracting, particularly while you are trying to relax during the final section. However, he always allows ample time to relocate the props inbetween poses, and his use of the props is definitely beneficial at some points, such as during the second practice. Rodney's manner is extremely calm and relaxing, and his voiceover is always perfectly in sync with his on-screen performance. One minor criticism is that he doesn't offer mirrored instruction, but this is easily ignored given his otherwise excellent cuing. Overall, this is a very good workout by a master yoga instructor.
on October 17, 2010
Recovering from a back injury, this DVD provides for fluid movements to stretch and strengthen your back.
Rodney's voice and demeanour evokes sure peace and tranquility; I only wish is could be longer or contain more work-outs. I found the poses rushed and not as deliberate as they could be. Instead of inhaling and exhaling peacefully, I found myself forcing my breaths in and out in order to keep up with his pace.
on April 9, 2003
I was disappointed in this DVD. I also own Rodney Yee's first back care workout "Back Care Yoga for Beginners" (1998, VHS), which is much better. "Yoga for Back Care" relies too heavily on props, moves very slowly, and doesn't cover enough poses. If you're looking for a good back care workout, go back to the original tape.
on May 10, 2009
Yoga for Back Care is an amazing DVD, nice and short ... only 24 minutes and easy to do. My back is ever grateful!

Janet Legere
[...]
on May 10, 2004
I had Rodney's original Back Care video and I bought this DVD to use for business travel so I could play it on my laptop in my hotel. It was WAY too slow moving for me. I plan to return it to Amazon. I was very disappointed.
on July 14, 2012
As a person that suffers from lower back pain I find that yoga provides the most complete relief as well as the added bonus of improved flexibility and health. The back care dvd is only a 20 minute workout and I found that before my back could really start to feel the effects, the workout was over. There are much better yoga dvd's that are not specifically designed for back care, but that provide a much better and more extensive workout.
HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon October 21, 2014
I have serious back issues and my Dr suggested yoga for my back.

I am a huge fan of Gaiam so I chose this dvd.

I like that for the most part the sequences are easy to follow, not too quick or too slow (I hate it when everything is so slow- including the description of the movements or the background of each move) if I am doing a dvd its because I want to practice the moves, not get a ton of history which could easily be read online.

The one issue I have with this is that, once again, too much equipment is required and going from one exercise to the other with all this equipment is impossible.

The quality of this dvd is, as always, excellent.
on March 31, 2013
This DVD is excellent. I am a new yogi with chronic back complaints. I need to strengthen my back, but many exercises are too difficult for my poor back and cause me to relapse.
This workout is so gentle and well explained/demonstrated. My back is slowly improving after several weeks of using this DVD 3 or 4 times/week. So much so, that I am now attending local yoga classes and was out shovelling today.
I don't think a longer workout would be good for those with very bad backs. This is the perfect length. Though, perhaps it would hold more value if more length and more challenging moves were offered as options.
Highly recommended.