countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Color: Black|Change

on June 12, 2011
I purchased this machine given the number of internet reviews specifically for gluten free break baking, so this review will be specific to this, as I haven't used it for anything else.

The double paddle design is perfect for gluten free bread dough, as, for those of us who have done it by hand, you know how much mixing is required, and how gluey the dough can get. Despite the double paddle (which reverses direction every so often to avoid piling the dough up on one side) you do still need to give it a little push mid way through mixing to ensure all the flour and starch is incorporated into the dough...not a big deal, at all. Something to consider if you expect to throw everything in and use the timer function. Although if you use fresh eggs in your recipes, you can't do this anyway, or the eggs will likely spoil.

I love the horizontal loaf pan! I used to use another bread machine that made those torpedo loaves, but it didn't really cut it for gluten free breads. I've been using recipes from a gluten free bread recipe book that includes bread maker instructions for my main recipes. I find the gluten free recipes included in the manual are too rice flour based for good bread, and are too gritty, like rice flour bread generally is. I just follow the machine instructions for the order for putting in the ingredients, and use the recipe book measurements. Works perfectly! This is the recipe book I've been using --> The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread: More Than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes

Given that gluten free dough doesn't need a second rise like wheat dough does, there is a program function that will allow you to turn off the second and third rise, and program the amount of time the machine prewarms, mixes, and bakes. The crust selection is also handy, although I find I typically use the medium selection all the time...but it gives you the option for darker or lighter crusts, depending on your tastes. That being said, the quick wheat selection does well for my recipes...all I do is remove the paddles using teflon coated tongs once the mixing cycle is complete (plus it also keeps the big paddle holes from forming in your finished loaf). It also beeps during the mixing setting to alert you to when you can add seeds, nuts, fruit, etc to your bread, should you want to. You can't turn it off, though...

The only drawback is that it is more expensive than most other bread makers on the market. Personally, I think it was a great investment for me. Gluten free breads are notoriously expensive to buy, and I love the fact that I don't have to heat up the house, especially in the summer, to bake a loaf of bread in the oven. Once the mixing is done, I can just leave it to do its thing for the rest of the time it's baking. It's fairly quiet while it's mixing...I think my microwave is louder when it's on. I love this breadmaker, and have been incredibly happy with how the gluten free loaves have turned out.
on January 27, 2016
Wife said no... I said yes... now she likes all the bread we have made in it! wasn't a long learning time to make some great loafs, couple this with the great canadian bread recipe book and you'll have winners every time!
on June 12, 2011
I bought mine (Zojirushi BB-CEC20WB Home Bakery Supreme, White) three weeks ago. Before that, I had a few other bread makers (vertical Philips Deluxe, Horizontal Philips, Tefal home bread
baguette bread maker) and had a close look at pretty much every model available at Sears, Canadian Tire, Walmart, Costco and Zellers (Cuisinart, B&D, West Bend and so on). Most bread maker models had a remarkably low quality with poor design, disgusting appearance, cheap knobs falling out or in, poor coating, sharp edges, aluminum or plastic transmissions and even plastic kneading blades (!). Before Tefal, I also bought the famous Kitchen Aid mixer, quite advanced, expensive and powerful (600 Wt) model, but, surprisingly, it could not prepare whole wheat dough properly, the process was quite messy, aluminum hook etc., so I returned it back to the store. In between, I was making bread manually. Thus, my impression is that for making bread and moderate amounts of dough, a good bread maker seems to be the best choice.

To my experience, the main problem with more or less decent bread makers, like Horizontal Philips or Tefal baguette, is that even though the bread maker itself still works fine, the companies are no longer supplying spare parts, particularly bread pans and paddles. So after a while, usually when the bread pan starts leaking in a year or two, the whole machine becomes almost useless.

Thus, having spare parts was a big plus for considering Zojirushi. Yet another was composing custom programs. The price... Well, Tefal cost $199 ($149 on sale) when I bought it, Horizontal Philips was $149. Zojirushi cost $214, now it costs $189. There is some difference indeed, but Zojirushi design is far superiour.

Now some of my impressions.

First of all, the Zojirushi unit is very well balanced and is NOT moving during kneading. Most other bread makers I tried, except Tefal baguette, tended to move (which means a good chance of falling off the shelf or table, running into something, falling into the kitchen sink filled with water and dishes, plugging themselves out and so on).

The Zojirushi is quiet. In fact, this is probably the least noisy bread maker I have used.

The unit is decently designed. It fits nicely under the kitchen shelves. The lead does NOT tend to fall onto your fingers when you open the bread maker. By the way, Tefal baguette rack fits well into Zojirushi, too.

Zojirushi remembers not only the last program used, but also its modifications, like preheat on or off, which is convenient. In other bread makers, browsing through beeping menus every time the unit is on seems a bit annoying.

Quality of dough and bread is good even for standard programs and an average "Selection" or "Compliments" flour from Food Basic or Price Chopper. The crust is NOT too dark if "light" is chosen. The loaf is NOT too heavy. I think the problems other folks have reported (the crust was too dark or uneven, bread much higher on one side, too hard etc.) were mostly due to their recipes or measuring errors, - if their units are not lemons, of course. Mine is apparently not. That custom programming allows to bake beautiful loafs, perfect, absolutely fantastic.

To illustrate what can be achieved by using the breadmaker's custom programming, I have added some images to the "Customer Images" section. They clearly show a good performance of the machine even in preparing some of the healthiest and best tasting (but also most demanding) types of bread, including old Russian style rye sour dough bread and whole wheat sore dough bread.

Recipe book and the instructional DVD are nice to have, even though I am mostly using my own recipes.

The paddles are made in such a way that they do not stick inside the loaf - a really nice feature that I have not seen in any other bread maker.

Cleaning the pan is exceptionally easy comparing to the other brands. Just soak for half an hour or so in warm water, the blades are going off easily.

Now some potentially weak points. The bread pan will probably need a replacement in a year or two - but this is true for any bread maker I have seen. A stainless steel pan and paddles, by the way, would make the breadmaker even more attractive. There are no additional side supports for the bread pan (thus the bottom mount experiences higher loads), - but, on the other hand, it makes the pan insertion and removal more convenient.

Nice looking, well designed, convenient, reliable, fool-proof. In summary, this is the best bread maker I have ever had.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ After a while ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December 2, 2012, more than a year after my happy purchase. As I expected, the bread pan and the paddles proved to be the weakest point of the bread maker. After I paid a ridiculously high cost of the replacement pan and paddles (around $110), I found that the replacement blades themselves, like the original ones, are also being heavily worn during mixing, especially at their upper part, from inside the hole. Since they are made of aluminum, it results in releasing of toxic aluminum into the food, which is not acceptable.

I could only wish both the pan and the paddles were made of a less toxic material. In the meantime, I simply took off the blades. Now I am mixing the dough manually in a ceramic bowl (it takes about 5 minutes), then I put the dough in the pan with the blades removed and launch a simple custom program (say, 20 min preheat, 2 hrs to 2 hrs 30 min rise and 1 hr 10 min bake). Thus, no mixing, no toxic metal release in my food and no wearing of the precious bread pan. By the way, it seems that release of aluminum into the food is a common problem for all bread makers, since the pan and paddles are made of aluminum and are wearing out while mixing the dough. Since aluminum is heavily used in food industry, commercially available bread is probably contaminated with aluminum, too. Fortunately, the design and programming of the Zojirushi bread maker was flexible enough, so I could circumvent the aluminum problem. For that custom program, the machine also allows to set the crust control. I noticed that after the brief manual mixing, the bread rises less than after the machine mixing, which may sometimes be even advantageous. The texture and taste are also different, but very good, too.
review image review image
on October 24, 2015
Really love this bread machine! Just put the ingredients and wait, no mess, easy to clean, and the bread comes out nicely. In 2 months, I made many kinds of bread and using the dough making function made pizza crust and Chinese steamed buns, delicious! The machines is sturdy and of good quality, highly recommended. The only thing with the recipes, some time I have to add a little more water than the measure in the recipes.
on March 21, 2011
I've bought this bread machine roughly two months ago, and this is my first one. I've read many reviews on this bread-maker both positive and negative and after playing with it for about a couple of months I can state that this machine can bake bread of very good quality. Unless you are very unlucky and got a defective machine most negative reviews I read are result of basic misunderstanding of how to use this machine.

In very few words: each brand of a bread flour has different ability to bind (consume) water. All recipes coming with this bread-maker are developed for flour sold in US which differs significantly from Canadian flour; so that all recipes have to be adjusted accordingly. In my case when I precisely follow the recipe for whole-wheat bread I get a very wet (looking like a swamp) dough. To bring this swampy dough to normal consistency I have to add more than 100 gram of flour during the kneading phase. Besides, one cup can contain from 100 to 150 gram of flour depending on how you fill that cup with flour (scooping with that cup or spoon-by-spoon) and on how humid your flour is. I strongly suggest using of electronic scales for flour (and even water) measuring.

First, start from the recipe that comes with machine and 5 minutes after machine begins kneading open the lid and check dough consistency. If it's too wet add flour teaspoon-by-teaspoon until dough gets desired consistency. If it's too dry add water teaspoon-by-teaspoon until dough gets desired consistency. Remember amount of flour (or water) you added and update this recipe. Next time use updated recipe.

Because Canadian white bread flour is much better (richer) than US one you may end up with loaf that has risen too high and touched the lid from inside during baking, causing some time consuming to clean mess (it happened to me couple of times). Top of the loaf that came in touch with lid is uncooked and must be cut off, but rest of the loaf should be fine. If that happened - just reduce all ingredients by roughly 20%.

I suggest you to visit WEB site called "Bread Machine Digest" (just Google for it) to get some very useful knowledge on bread making with bread-machine (that is what I did). Besides, if you are new to bread-machine bread making, you can search on YouTube videos of how actually dough should look like while bread-maker is kneading it, just search for "kneading dough breadmaker" pattern on YouTube.

Also, many recipes coming with this machine include ingredient called "Vital Wheat Gluten". Most likely you won't find it in major food store chains (at least in Ontario). This "Vital Wheat Gluten" is sold in Canada under different name "Gluten Flour" and can be found in special store chain called "Bulk Barn" (just Google for that name).
review image review image
0Comment| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2010
Just got my new bread maker and tried it out for the last couple of days. This bread maker is exceptional compared to the other two I had. This is the most expensive on the market but it is worth the extra money. The loafs of bread are well formed and the paddles usually do not stay in the bread when removed from the pan. The pan snaps into the mounts easily and is very secure. It is easy to clean and all the different functions are simple to use. I would recommend this bread maker over the cheaper lines.
on January 8, 2016
I have made about 8 loaves of bread so far. They have all turned out well. The first couple were lopsided but I think that the pan was not quite level. You have to play with the paddles a bit to get them to fit correctly when you sink the pan into the machine. I have yet to try other recipes from other books but I plan to and will update you accordingly. I read that we were only supposed to use the recipes provided but that will get pretty boring. I have some favourite recipes that I was able to use with other less expensive bread machines so I intend to try anyway. For the price you should be able to successfully use other recipes.
on May 21, 2016
This is the best bread maker I've seen. It makes "proper" looking loaves and is great for making dough. The recipe book that comes with is clear and has some good ideas, but we don't restrict ourselves to those recipes. It's reliable and easy to clean.
on January 3, 2016
I have owned a great many breadmakers, and this one finally makes the grade!

It doesn't leave dark grease in my dough, the paddles never need to be dug out and don't tear hunks of bread out with them. The dough is throughly mixed. This thing is a beast... I use a breadmaker nearly every day, sometimes twice or three times depending....and this has been happily working away. It has a high cost..but is worth every penny...!
on November 17, 2010
I've been using bread machines for more than 10 years, and have gone through several models in that time. This is by far the best of the lot. Much more expensive, but you get what you pay for. The others have usually lasted about a year and some of them didn't make a good loaf, no matter how much I tweaked the recipe.
One of the best features is the shape of the loaf, similar to traditional type pans, which makes it much better to slice for sandwiches. Easy to use, my first loaf turned out the closest I've ever had to handmade bread. Good texture and flavour. I've tried several different recipes and they all were excellent. The one feature I would have liked is a stop/pause button, hopefully this will be included in the next model. All in all, the best machine I've ever used.