Profile for Ella > Reviews

Content by Ella

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ella

The Passion
The Passion
by Donna Boyd
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
50 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure I recommend this book..., Jan. 12 2002
I'm serious. I gave it 5 stars because the book is great but I hate the way it made me feel.
(don't worry no spoilers ahead)
Boyd is a great writer- the other reviewers pointed that out already so I'll stick to the point.
the first 4/5 are great- sure, I hated the werewolves for being so condescending, I resented the human, Tessa, for being a doormat (I kept hoping she'd buy a dog whistle).
and then the book took a very surprising turn that at first made me pleased- finally the human shows some character! finally, werewolves learn some humility! oh silly me.
I knew the ending is tragic- it says so on the back of the book but I had no idea it was *that* kind of tragic. the kind that haunts you for days after...
it embarrasses me to say this but the ending left me VERY distraught.
I guess I wrote this review as a warning- if you're going to read this book make sure you are alone and make sure you have
enough time to recover...

Vittorio, the Vampire
Vittorio, the Vampire
by Anne Rice
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.49
84 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Angels&demons&mortals, oh no!, Dec 27 2001
The first half was soooo good! A vow of revenge, a strange town with a horrible secret, a decadent group of vampires. great!
but then the religious theme came into the picture.
Although I'm an atheist I can enjoy stories
with religious themes- but this was narrow minded textbook religion- Angels have wings,wear white robes,have blond hair.
The bad guys say things like 'take this sacrifice
oh satan, our dark lord'
At one point the angels are horrified because one of their wards is in bed with a woman... oh dear! what an awful sin! don't believe all these people saying that sex is a natural urge! oh no! you just keep on feeling guilty about it, ya hear?
the only thing missing was someone burning in hell because he is homosexual.
enough said about that.
Vittorio is tricked by Ursula and she turns him into a vampire.He is in a rage. how did she do this to him?! and what of his pure soul now?!
He forgets about those issues a page later when he and his beloved girlfriend are having a great time killing everyone in town, hmmm did I accidently skip a chapter? I was very confused.
So why did I give this book 2 stars?
Well, the first half was soooo good...
on a side note-If you are a fan of Rice and vampires
in general, I warmly reccomened Carpe Jugulum by
Terry Pratchett for a refreshing view of vampires,Witches,religion and er...tea.

Nanny Ogg's Cookbook
Nanny Ogg's Cookbook
by Terry Pratchett
11 used & new from CDN$ 11.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor and but this book...., Dec 11 2001
This review is from: Nanny Ogg's Cookbook (Hardcover)
To all you Discworld fans out there- don't be discouraged from buying this book because it's a cooking book.
There are lots of illustrations by Paul Kidby- this guy is AMAZING. My favorite is a drawing of Nanny and Casanuda looking very guilty under Granny's scrutinizing gaze. If you look at Nanny's dress hard enough you'll see why... ;)
Half of this book is recipes including strawberry wobbler(you figure it out...) Rincewind's recipe for...er... potatoes,
Vetinari's recipe for bread and water (not as simple as it sounds!) and the Bursar's recipe for "spoon! give it a royster!" (aka dried frog pills). we finally learn what a figgin is and how to make it.
there are many other recipes some real, some not
all of them great.
The second half is all about etiquette.
etiquette with witches,wizards,dwarfs,trolls,
kings,dukes and scarecrows.tips on courtship, weddings, etc. etc.
BUY THIS BOOK! trust me, you will not regret it!
(...)

Soul Music
Soul Music
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars ooooh dare I give a pratchett book 3 stars?!, Aug. 31 2001
This review is from: Soul Music (Mass Market Paperback)
Death always makes me feel a bit melancholy.
laugh all you want, but when I read about how Susan
laughed at the swing he tried to make for her it brought tears to my eyes...
I absolutely love Pratchetts work. I also love music
so I was ready to love this book.
but, what can I say? it was kinda boring- not one
of his best. there wasn't enough plot for 380 pages.
and the ending was a bit hazy. I'm not even sure
what happened there.
but still, 3 stars on the Pratchett scale is about
5 stars on any other scale.
better buy Small Gods or Carpe Jugulum instead, and save that one for later!

Tender Fury
Tender Fury
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars why did i even bother to finish it?!, Aug. 16 2001
I swear to god, the only thing missing from this book was incest. It was simply disturbing. at one point the heroin is given an aphrodisiac and sold to some fat merchant. we get a very disturbing description of how he uses her body in every vile way while she screams for more (if her mouth is not busy that is) and the hero! ... the heroin also gets her share of men. do not, I repeat, do not read this book! I admit that I like books with strong bodice ripping themes but this was disgusting! stay away!