Profile for marketr > Reviews

Content by marketr

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

marketr (Pittsburgh, PA)

Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets: The Healthful Alternative
Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets: The Healthful Alternative
by Donald R. Strombeck
12 used & new from CDN$ 77.45

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, fully documented resource, May 23 2000
I bought this book because my oldest dog was recently diagnosed with pancreatitis brought on by a food allergy and another reviewer had posted that it was a great resource for dogs with GI problems.
Unlike other books that I've recently purchased on this subject, when this author was expressing an opinion on something, the underlying research supporting that opinion was documented. As are the studies quoted in the text.
I would have felt like a fool sitting down with the vet and talking about the content of some of the other books I've purchased. In most of these books, when studies were mentioned they were seldom, if ever, documented with end- or footnotes, or even referenced by name, researcher, etc. in the text.
I will feel confident discussing this book with my vet. Everything is fully documented, and it is written in a crisp style that is easy enough for the non-medical person to read and understand (but keep a dictionary handy for some of the medical terms), and will (hopefully) be appreciated by the clinical veterinarian.

Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats
Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats
by Richard H. Pitcairn D.V.M.
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.24

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource, May 21 2000
for those whose pets have special dietary requirements.
Having fed a super-premium, human grade kibble I was very happy with the status quo. My dogs were extremely healthy and happy - until a food allergy damaged my older dog's pancreas causing chronic pancreatitis.
No longer could he digest even the best of dog food. The only alternative was prescription food filled with by-products and chemicals or a homemade diet.
Together with my vet, we are beginning to put together a healthy homemade diet to ensure that my dog will live a long and happy life. I bought this book in hopes that there would be recipes to provide variety.
Instead of a list of recipes, however, I got an an education in nutrition and how "alternative" remedies can go hand-in-hand with traditional veterinary care.
The book also provided an eye-opening glimpse into food production. Not only am I changing my dogs' diets, I'm change my own as well.