Profile for anonymous > Reviews

Content by anonymous

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

anonymous

Shinju
Shinju
by Laura Rowland
Price: CDN$ 8.99
76 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great page-turner, Sept. 5 2003
This review is from: Shinju (Mass Market Paperback)
I've enjoyed Laura Joh Rowland's historical mystery series featuring detective Sano Ichiro. The main characters are appealing, and the action moves along rapidly. Some of her later books are beginning to resemble each other too much--yet they are still page-turners. I'd like to see a little more evolution in the characters. But on the whole, I recommend the Sano series.

Deeds Of The Disturber  Mm
Deeds Of The Disturber Mm
by Elizabeth Peters
Price: CDN$ 9.89
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth Peters is wonderful!, Sept. 5 2003
It has been a while since I read this book, but I read almost everything that Elizabeth Peters writes. Her books are part romance novel (not generally on my reading list) and partly mystery, with a gentle humor throughout. For me, these books are great escapist reading. My favorites are her Amelia Peabody mysteries. They are just plain fun, set in an exotic location. My only complaint is that I can read her books faster than she can write them--but I'm willing to wait for her next offering!

The Fed : The Inside Story of How the World's Most Powerful Financial Institution Drives the Markets
by Martin Mayer
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.35

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly written, packed with information, Sept. 5 2003
I bought this book in a bookstore, thinking it looked interesting. The testimonials seemed convincing. I wish I'd read these reviews first. Although the book clearly offers a wealth of information, I found it annoying to read. The author repeatedly interjects long parenthetical expressions in the middle of his sentences. By the time you reach the end of the sentence, it's hard to remember what he was trying to say. At times, it struck me as a stream-of-consciousness approach, or just laziness on the part of his editor. The problem isn't that the material is challenging. I have an MBA and expect to be challenged in books about banking and finance. But I expect far better writing than this. Mr. Mayer likely is a superb reporter and researcher, but in my view, his writing needs a heavier hand from an editor. I only read about 30 pages before tossing the book in the trash can. I hope to remember not to buy any more of his books by accident.

Value-Based Marketing: Marketing Strategies for Corporate Growth and Shareholder Value
by Peter Doyle
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but where's the "revolution"?, Aug. 9 2003
As a recent MBA, I found the book a nice refresher in business strategy and how marketing can/should fit into that. However, I was disappointed not to find the "revolutionary" part that Kotler's review led me to expect. It might be because my MBA and related marketing studies are recent that the concepts didn't strike me as particularly revolutionary. I also admit to limited knowledge of marketing as it is practiced in the real world. Perhaps this book is best for longtime marketing practitioners and MBAs who've been out of school a while. Still, it was a good read and easy to get through.

How To Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies
How To Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies
by Therese A. Rando
Price: CDN$ 16.61
121 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for the grieving person, Aug. 9 2003
I have read numerous grief books, but this is one of my favorites. I underlined some passages in the section about how to keep the loved one "alive" appropriately. Seven months after losing someone I dearly loved, I'm still working through my grief. I pick up this book from time to time. For other situations, I also recommend Carol Staudacher's book on "Men and Grief." If I'd had that book several years ago when my late friend suddenly lost his daughter, I might have been able to help him more.

Black Lotus
Black Lotus
by Laura Joh Rowland
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much Reiko, too little Sano, Aug. 9 2003
I enjoyed this book but, like some of the other reviewers, I found Reiko's behavior a pain in the neck. She struck me has headstrong and intractable, and in a novel about Samurai justice, I prefer reading about Sano. I recognize that Reiko is Samurai class too, but her behavior in this book strikes me as wildly inappropriate -- fighting against her husband, rather than fighting alongside him. Also, is this McMillan and Wife or medieval Japan? On the whole, though, I love Rowland's Sano series and look forward to subsequent books.

The Samurai's Wife: A Novel
The Samurai's Wife: A Novel
by Laura Joh Rowland
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting reading, Aug. 9 2003
I enjoyed this book. It held my attention and I could hardly put it down.

Burning Time
Burning Time
by Leslie Glass
Price: CDN$ 9.89
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Too grisly to be enjoyable, Aug. 9 2003
This review is from: Burning Time (Paperback)
I've read many of Leslie Glass's April Woo mysteries and have enjoyed them immensely--real page-turners. However, I was not able to get through "The Burning Time" because of its gruesomeness. I find that her other novels are quite graphic enough. This one is too grisly. There are some authors I won't read because of the gore. I will lookward to more Leslie Glass novels like "The Silent Bride" or "Hanging Time." If the author decides to take a more gruesome bent in her books, I'll bow out.