Profile for riotgurl511 > Reviews

Content by riotgurl511

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"riotgurl511" (DC)

Chicago (The Miramax Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Chicago (The Miramax Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Price: CDN$ 9.49
62 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect To Go Along With the Movie, Dec 30 2003
This is an overall great CD to go along with a great movie! Except for a few tracks, all the songs are good and listenable.
1. "All That Jazz"
~Great song, great lyrics to sing along to, and fast and fun to dance to~
2. "Funny Honey"
~Renee Zellwieger has a good voice and does this song justice~
3. "When You're Good To Mama"
~Okay, not the most memorable, Queen Latifah is good though~
4. "Cell Block Tango"
~One of my favorites on the CD! Fun to sing along to, and an overall great dance track~
5. "All I Care About"
~Richard Gere certainly surprised me, but not the best song, it's okay~
6. "We Both Reached For the Gun"
~Great, fun song! It's an awesome sequence in the movie~
7. "Roxie"
~Nice beat, dreamy Hollywood song~
8. "I Can't Do It Alone"
~Great song to choreagraph a dance to~
9. "Mister Cellophane"
~One of my favorites! John C. Reilly does it wonderfully!~
10. "Razzle Dazzle"
~It's okay, not my favorite~
11. "Class"
~Not featured in the movie, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Queen Latifah, good tune- should've been in the movie~
12. "Nowadays"
~I love this song! Starts off slow and melancholy, but then as Roxie gets more eager, it gets faster, but her hopes are slashed as they reject her--great!~
13. "Nowadays/Hot Honey Medley"
~this is good but mostly instrumental~
14. "I Move On"
~The finale in the movie, this a good ending song~
15. "After Midnight"
~An instrumental, I usually skip this one~
16. "Roxie's Suite"
~Same as above~
17. "Cell Block Tango"
~This is the hip-hop version featuring Queen Latifah, Macy Gray and Lil' Kim. Stick to the original, please~
18. "Love Is A Crime"
~Boring..no idea how this ended up on the CD~
Well there you have it. A basically all-around good CD, except for the skippable tracks at the end. Avoid the last two at all costs!!

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2-Disc Collector's Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 25.26
107 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars 2003's Biggest Hit, Dec 30 2003
"Pirates of the Caribbean" was definitely the movie of the month when it first came out. Then it was the movie of the summer. Now, after seeing it three times in theaters and countless times on DVD, I proclaim it the movie of the year.
With an all-star class featuring Johnny Depp as Cap'n Jack Sparrow; Kiera Knightly as Elizabeth Swann; Orlando Bloom as Will Turner and Geoffrey Rush as Captain Barbossa; it's an obvious hit at first glance. Add pirates, amazing special effects, ships, skeletons and a bottle of rum, well-- you've got yerslef a winner!
While the rest of the cast is exceptional, this is Johnny Depp's movie. He steals every scene as the scheming, dirty, witty pirate Cap'n Jack Sparrow. He adds hilarious facial charecteristics and just a bit of well, himself, into his charecter. It's amazing what the guy can do. He is just SO funny! Just watching him walk makes me burst out laughing. I love this guy!
The basic summary is: Elizabeth Swann is the governer's daughter. She gets kidnapped by pirates, and the man secretly in love with her, Will Turner, invests in the aid of Jack Sparrow, a pirate, to save her. Gorgeous pirates, a gorgeous Miss Swann, and amazing acting skills make this a must-see for everyone!

Bend It Like Beckham (Widescreen)
Bend It Like Beckham (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Parminder Nagra
Price: CDN$ 16.98
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Chick Flick, Dec 30 2003
You don't have to be into soccer, or even a girl to enjoy this light-hearted movie. I first went to see it because I love soccer, but it was even better than I thought it would be. My guy cousins loved it, as did some of my friends who hate soccer. As you can see, it's not limited to female soccer players.
Jess, an young Indian girl, has a great talent for soccer, but her srict, tradional parents dislike her playing-- they'd rather hook her up with a nice, Indian boy or have her cook Indian food. She joins a girls soccer league from the urging of her newfound friend, Jules (Kiera Knightly). Of course, she does this while lying to her parents, and of course they find out and there's a whole moral about lying and whatnot. But it's not preachy, it's enjoyable.
Bend It Like Beckham is one of best, not to mention funniest films of 2003. The only problem I had was the confusion over the age of Jess and Jules. It was only after the second viewing of BILB did I realized they must be around 17-18, because at the end,**SPOILER** they leave for college. **SPOILER OVER** Americans might also be confused because the girls are shown drinking and going to a club. This is because Europe has different drinking limits, etc. But all in all, this was a good, funny movie to watch with a group of a girls (and guys!).

World's Best Fairy Tales
World's Best Fairy Tales
by Reader's Digest
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Collection of Fairy Tales, Dec 29 2003
This large book has accompanied me through my childhood and to this day, I still read it. It's filled with the best fairy tales. The best part is that they're all still fun to read again and again. Fairy tales aren't limited to little kids, and this collection proves it. They're not all Disney either, some are downright gruesome! (The Brothers Grimm at their best!) There's so much to say about this collection of tales, yet I can't find the right words. Let me tell you that reading this as a child or an adult is a truly magical experience and I'll leave it at that.

8 Days Of Christmas
8 Days Of Christmas
Price: CDN$ 7.99
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, Dec 27 2003
This review is from: 8 Days Of Christmas (Audio CD)
There are only two songs on this entire CD that I recommned: "8 Days of Christmas" and "Opera of the Bells." 8 Days has a great dance beat, it just makes me wanna get up and dance! Opera shows off Destiny's Child's amazing vocal skills and harmony. The other songs do too, but their just not very good. The other songs I feel as if they're trying too hard to sound good. They should just sing naturally and it would be awesome. Don't buy this, it's only worth the two tracks.

Now That's What I Call Christmas!, Vol. 2: The Signature Collection
Now That's What I Call Christmas!, Vol. 2: The Signature Collection
Price: CDN$ 24.27
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Christmas CD!, Dec 27 2003
My friend gave me this CD for Christmas and I haven't stopped listening to it since!
Some Highlights include:
"Feliz Navidad," Jose Feliciano
"Kentucky Homemade Christmas," Kenny Rogers
"Go Tell It on the Mountain," Andy Griffith
"Auld Lang Syne," Guy Lombardo
There's a few skippable tracks, such as Nsync and Barbara Streisand, but overall it's a great addition to your Christmas CD collection!

Now, Vol. 12
Now, Vol. 12
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 22.84
13 used & new from CDN$ 1.52

2.0 out of 5 stars Now That's What I DON'T Call Music!, Nov. 11 2003
This review is from: Now, Vol. 12 (Audio CD)
Wow, this was a horrible mix of bad chart-toppers and other songs I've never heard of in my life that aren't much better...
1.'03 BONNIE & CLYDE, Jay-Z f. Beyonce ((B-))
~Pretty decent song, but gets boring if you listen to it too many times~
2. BUMP BUMP BUMP, B2K f. P.Diddy ((A))
~One of the very few good songs on this CD!! Kinda old, though~
3. JENNY FROM THE BLOCK, Jennifer Lopez ((C))
~Mediocre, way overplayed and quite repitive and annoying after awhile~
4. DON'T MESS WITH MY MAN, Nivea f. Brian and Brandon Casey ((A-))
~Good dance song and I like her voice~
5. LUV YOU BETTER, LL Cool J ((D+))
~Good basic beat, but proves to be boring and slow~
6. AIR FORCE ONES, Nelly ((B+))
~Good song, but I'e heard it so many times it's gotten annoying~
7. MADE YOU LOOK, Nas ((D))
~I've never listened to the entire song, it's too boring))
8. BEAUTIFUL, Snoop Dogg f. Pharrell and Uncle Charlie Wilson ((F+))
~This is one of the most annoying songs I've ever heard, I hate Pharrell's voice~
9. BLOWIN ME UP WITH HER LOVE, JC Chasez ((C-))
~I used to hate this song, but it kinda grows on you~
10. LIKE I LOVE YOU, Justin Timberlake ((B))
~Good dance song~
11. BREATHE, Telepopmusik ((F-))
~Does this even qualify as a song?~
12. I SHOULD BE, Dru Hill ((C-))
~Never listened to the whole song, it's boring~
13. STOLE, Kelly Rowland ((F))
~I hate this song, good message but doesnt sound good~
14. MISS YOU, Aaliyah ((B-))
~Beautiful voice, but kinda slow and boring if you don't appreciate Aaliyah~
15. ANGEL, Amanda Perez ((B+))
~Beautiful voice, beautiful song, just kinda boring~
16. PRETTY BABY, Vanessa Carlton ((C-))
~Just not a fan of her work~
17. SOMEBODY LIKE YOU, Keith Urban ((C))
~Not a country music fan, but it's alright~
18. THE RED, Chevelle ((C))
~It's ok, somehow dissapointing, more potential~
19. ALWAYS, Saliva ((A))
~Great song, best on CD~
20. WHEN I'M GONE, 3 Doors Down ((B+))
~Good~
And the average is probably around a C. It's ok, but there's not many good songs, they're alright. Save your money!

Princess Diaries
Princess Diaries
by Meg Cabot
Price: CDN$ 16.05
58 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Best In the Series, April 27 2003
This review is from: Princess Diaries (Hardcover)
This book was a lot better than the movie. If you thought that was good, you better check this out! Personally I think it's the best in the series. The other three books are great reads too, but not as good as this one.
***
Mia Thermopolis, a classic high school nerd (complete with the frizzy hair and granny glasses), one day discovers that her father, recently deceased, was prince of little-known European country Genovia, and that SHE is heir to the throne! It's a cute Cinderella-esque tale that will keep you laughing until long after you finish the book! Meg Cabot did a wonderful job- after reading this, I suggest reading the other "Princess" books in her series. (All starring the wonderful Princess Mia!)