Profile for Vince Pecoraro > Reviews

Content by Vince Pecoraro

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Vince Pecoraro (Scottsdale, Arizona United States)

Ichi the Killer (Uncut Special Edition)
Ichi the Killer (Uncut Special Edition)
DVD ~ Tadanobu Asano
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 46.29
9 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars DROP IN QUALITY, May 11 2004
I'm not saying don't buy this if you like Miike's work but after Audition I thought he had finally found himself as a film maker and was going to produce more quality product. This film is instead a big step backwards to his earlier cheap Yakuza films and has a slapped together/ improv vibe to it. Massive amounts of violence no doubt but to what end? If you really want to see the best of Japanese cinema than check out the films of Beat Takeshi.

Born Innocent
Born Innocent
DVD ~ Linda Blair
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 129.66
5 used & new from CDN$ 26.00

4.0 out of 5 stars UNPLEASANT CHILDHOOD MEMORY, May 11 2004
This review is from: Born Innocent (DVD)
I remember watching this made for tv movie in the early seventies and being really disturbed by it, in a good way. The only part I can cearly recall is Linda Blair getting gang raped in the shower. This would make a great double bill with that other classic made for TV movie: Don't Ask Alice.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars UNWATCHABLE, May 11 2004
I bought this DVD based on the Amazon customer reviews and the Kill Bill connection. The 10 minutes intrigued me with it's potential supernatural elements but by the time it got going into the actual plot I was bored to tears. My guess is this is one of those movies you could only love because you watched it when you were a kid hyped up on Captain Crunch.

Dead Or Alive 1
Dead Or Alive 1
DVD ~ Shô Aikawa
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 71.61
8 used & new from CDN$ 13.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute ending for Yakuza bore-fest, July 25 2003
This review is from: Dead Or Alive 1 (DVD)
Don't get me wrong, I really like Miike and would recommend Audition or Visitor Q any time but I fell asleep about halfway through this. I've probably watched too many of these "es muy macho" Yakuza films over the last year which has made me very sensitive to the cliche's of this genre. There are two good scenes in this movie that take place in the final 10 minutes, the car bomb and the destruction of the earth but otherwise you would do better to buy a Beat Takeshi film.

Impossible But True: the Kim Fowley Story
Impossible But True: the Kim Fowley Story
Price: CDN$ 26.09
16 used & new from CDN$ 16.15

5.0 out of 5 stars King Of The Psychedelic Freakout, July 3 2003
Pure Kim Fowley magic. Covers his output from late fifties to about 1970 so no Runaways but otherwise not bad. I would have liked to see his great '66 single Underground Lady/ Pop Art '66 on this but that's about it.

Emanuelle in America
Emanuelle in America
DVD ~ Laura Gemser
Price: CDN$ 27.65
14 used & new from CDN$ 13.61

1.0 out of 5 stars TOO SICK FOR THIS OLD GOREHOUND, July 3 2003
This review is from: Emanuelle in America (DVD)
I bought this DVD because I had read about the film and because Blue Underground has been doing a great job in selecting their releases. I haven't had such a negative reaction to a film in ages. I had no problem with the X-rated sex scenes and the bestiality sequence was something I've never seen before so that was kind of educational. My problem was with the snuff film sequence.
I'm an old gorehound and I don't shy away from this kind of material but I feel context is very important when watching good gore. I like people and I don't want them to be eaten by Zombies so when I watch say Dawn Of The Dead I want to be horrified by scenes of carnage and I want the director to tell me I should be horrified.
The problem with the gore in this movie is that its context is to serve as sexual titillation. Intercutting scenes of Laura Gemser having sex while looking through a window into the torture room with scenes of women being very realistically mutilated is way to perverse for me. I'm sure that about 50% of the people who read this review will be even more likely to purchase it now but for people like me who will feel "soiled" after viewing this, you've been warned.
My disk also arrived scratched up do to a very crappy box with sharp edges on the "button". Since I threw out my copy immediately after viewing it this wasn't an issue but since this will no doubt become a major collectors item after the government bans it you may have trouble getting a mint copy through [Amazon.com]

Queen Kong
Queen Kong
DVD ~ Robin Askwith
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 113.13
3 used & new from CDN$ 38.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Benny Hill not Monty Python British humour, June 17 2003
This review is from: Queen Kong (DVD)
If only they had some actual money to spend on this it could have been tremendous. The acting is solid and the jokes are actually funny though dated. The sound and picture quality are a little shaky. I was totally surprised to find an actual directors commentary track but only listened to it for about 10 minutes. I had one major laugh while watching this that made me fall out of my chair, Queen Kong has just escaped from her Command Performance for the Queen and the promoter goes to Queen Elizabeth to apologise and she knees him in the balls. Low-brow but highly effective!

Baba Yaga
Baba Yaga
DVD ~ Carroll Baker
Price: CDN$ 20.90
24 used & new from CDN$ 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Psyche Film, June 17 2003
This review is from: Baba Yaga (DVD)
This movie is a great period piece, nice dream sequences and some very pretty set pieces. It's not a Eurotrash sleaze film but a serious art film a la Blow-up or Barbarella. Would be a great film to watch while tripping.

Pumpkin (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Pumpkin (Widescreen/Full Screen)
DVD ~ Christina Ricci
Offered by vidco
Price: CDN$ 9.35
16 used & new from CDN$ 5.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Douglas Sirk meets John Waters, Dec 30 2002
This film is so subversive, I love it! We've finally reached the point in our society where the love that dare not speak its name is that between a hot babe and a [ ]!
The reason why I mention these two Directors in my title is because this film is lush with color and beautiful music, I specially liked the Belle & Sebastion tune, and is quite purposely melodramatic to an absurd degree(remember the car crash sequence that Roger Ebert hated so much?).
If you watch carefully Pumpkin and Caroline actually spend very little time together. Caroline is obviously projecting onto Pumpkin her desires because he is a blank slate to her. The revealing scene is at the end of the film when she asks him if he was speaking literally or metaphorically about something and he answers "what?".
Cliche's abound in this film, the overprotective mother, the jock who becomes a better man after losing the use of his legs, the "blond" sorority, the fight at the dance(is that music from Rebel Without A Cause?). The symbolism is so in your face, the rats, the rotting fruit covered with flies, the dead bird. Christina Ricci was very wise to get this future cult film under her belt before moving on to adult fare.
The only reason I can't give this film 5 stars is because ultimately it has no message. Love conquers all is a childish concept and I can't believe that women will be flocking to the special olympics looking for dates after seeing this film. Just enjoy the film for what it is; a tasty piece of ear and eye candy.

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song [Import]
Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song [Import]
DVD ~ Melvin Van Peebles
Price: CDN$ 15.71
13 used & new from CDN$ 9.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Surreal Blaxploitation Flick, Nov. 6 2002
If you like art films from the late sixties like Easy Rider, If, Blow Up and Zabriskie Point you will like this film. It comes across as a bunch of disconnected vignettes meant to show how white society cannot tolerate a strong black man in its midst and will ultimately kill him for it. It lags at times, there are endless scenes of Sweet Sweetback running through the city and the desert to escape the police, but the musical soundtrack is cool and the visuals are trippy. A very important if somewhat dated film.