Profile for Mr. Pibb > Reviews

Content by Mr. Pibb

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mr. Pibb

Contact (Special Edition) (Bilingual)
Contact (Special Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Jodie Foster
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 4.34
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Silly and contrived effort, May 28 2004
This movie should have been good. In fact, it could have been great if it simply had been a science fiction movie. Instead we are treated to a bad script, an annoying love affair and an overly sophomoric and contrived ending. Loved the concept and special effects, but ended up feeling embarassed for the actors and their forgetable performances.

Disarming Iraq
Disarming Iraq
by Hans Blix
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Critical Thinking and Clear Analysis, April 18 2004
This review is from: Disarming Iraq (Hardcover)
What struck me most about Hans Blix was that he saw all perspectives and gave them their due. He treats each with courtesy, candor and an unbiased perspective. The review by reader David J. Gannon below is very accurate and fairly describes Blix's story.
Having read the book it seems to me that fault may be placed upon many, not just the U.S., not just Saddam, not just faulty intelligence (although I think this shoulders the heaviest burden). And while my opinion per the timetable of the invasion has changed, and despite the unfortunate deaths of civilians and armed forces, the action was clearly a message or shot heard 'round the world since a number of countrie like Libia have come clean and the threat from North Korea seems to have disapated at least for the moment. We cannot allow rogue states to operate and conduct matters of warfare, brutality, and persecution at will. There must be a police force that protects all of humanity. The U.N. needs a backbone, but it also needs cooperation. I hope the cost and mistakes of this campaign will lead to greater global communication and cooperation.

Solaris (Widescreen)
Solaris (Widescreen)
DVD ~ George Clooney
Offered by stephensstuff
Price: CDN$ 19.95
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Falls short of expectations, Dec 28 2003
This review is from: Solaris (Widescreen) (DVD)
The argument for Solaris is that it is an intelligent, though provoking literary movie based in a science-fictional context. One reviewer calls it a "taut psychological experience that will leave you breathless." It is not. It is simplistic and unchallenging. The emotional connection between cloony and his wife is never convincing enough to produce the conundrum of circumstances that are portrayed. I did enjoy the movie. It was beautiful to watch and the performances were excellent, but it simply is not psychologically, emotionally or intellectually intense enough to justify the slow and drawn out pace. It had potential, but comes up short.

Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed
Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed
by Patricia Cornwell
89 used & new from CDN$ 0.44

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Information. Not Enough Substance, Jan. 5 2003
Endless and tedious investigation of circumstancial evidence. I am convinced that Sickert may well be "Jack" but the case is not closed. Mostly I was irritated bythe author's description of his paintings as evidence of his murderous personality, but without the corresponding illustrations, the basis escaped me. An okay historical perspective on the times of Jack the Ripper, an incomplete biography of Walter Sickert, a good but not complete attempt to convict him - the case is not closed. I only finished it because I kept hoping it would get better...in fact, the last few chapters became even more rambling and disorienting.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
by Robert Pirsig
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
127 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars I waited 20 years to read it..., Dec 1 2002
I should have waited 20 more. First of all, this book was not what I expected, so in that light I could only be disappointed. I had seen others reading it, walked past it in bookstores, etc and finally decided I'd like to learn a bit more about the Zen of motorcycle maintenance. Hey, where's the zen? Also, Pirsig's quest for Quality was of no interest to me and I didn't understand why it interested him or how understanding it was of any benefit to anyone. I'm an intelligent man, but I was not interested in thinking this hard. Per my own experience, I'd give it one star, but I picked it for the wrong reasons to start and others who are interested in Quality likely found it facinating. So I'll give it two.

Jimmy Neutron - Boy Genius
Jimmy Neutron - Boy Genius
Offered by SURPLUSDVD NEW YORK
Price: CDN$ 24.79
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie. I'm 40 years old., July 5 2002
This review is from: Jimmy Neutron - Boy Genius (DVD)
This is a very entertaining movie. Lots of fun! I particularly enjoyed the Warner Brothers' cartoon aesthetic. 3D doesn't have to be photorealistic! Love the characters. Great movie for kids too. You have to be in a really bad mood not to like this one. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is that I would have liked to see production notes on the 3-D technology.

A Map of the World: A Novel
A Map of the World: A Novel
by Jane Hamilton
Price: CDN$ 13.68
187 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and Agonizing, April 25 2001
This well-written book sucked all the positive energy out of me! Still, once fully entrenched in the story I couldn't put it down.
Question: Why do readers feel the need to discuss/reveal the plot in their reviews? Please do not simply rehash the story line, your pertinent critical commentary will suffice.

Atlas Shrugged
Atlas Shrugged
by Ayn Rand
12 used & new from CDN$ 17.94

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Handed, July 15 2000
This review is from: Atlas Shrugged (Hardcover)
I couldn't put this book down because I was determined to prevail through 1050 pages of tedious and repetitive preaching. This book is just way too long, the characters are distinctly unlikeable, and the plot is ridiculous. However, it did cause me to spend a good deal of time thinking about the message and it was a constructive read in that aspect. If you're looking for a thought provoking book, this is one....just don't expect to enjoy it.