Profile for Morris > Reviews

Content by Morris

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Morris (North Vancouver, BC Canada)

Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness
Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness
by Richard H. Thaler
Price: CDN$ 13.72
51 used & new from CDN$ 8.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Fascinating, Nov. 27 2009
I loved this book! I have a business background but I now work extensively in the area of health promotion. I found the information in the book really practical and helpful. There were all kinds of excellent ideas about things organizations and people can do to (subtly) influence their employees/family/friends to make better decisions, whether we want them to choose healthy food choices in the company cafeteria or make sound and sensible decisions with their retirement savings. For example, you can encourage a parent to have an operation by saying: "there is a 90% chance you will have a full recovery". If you don't want them to have it, just tell them: "there is a 10% chance you'll die".

I have receommended this book to several others; I also dug up an earlier book from Cass Sunstein (the co-author) called "Why Society Needs Dissent" which I stongly recommend also.

The Fattening of America: How The Economy Makes Us Fat, If It Matters, and What To Do About It
by Eric A. Finkelstein
Price: CDN$ 18.89
27 used & new from CDN$ 16.49

1.0 out of 5 stars So promising, such a let down, June 27 2008
A friend of mine had recommended a book with a similar title and I mistakenly bought this one. It started off reasonably well, the author painted an amusing sketch of his family life - perfect, I thought, this will really help bring the points to life. But they never came to life. The book failed to deal substantively with issues of obesity. Instead, it came to the superficial conclusion that people are overweight because their utility of being overweight was higher than doing the hard work (that of course the author does) it takes to stay thin.
I felt the book side-stepped the many reasons why people who are overweight don't just deal with it.

Frankly, I don't know many overweight people who wouldn't prefer to be at a healthy weight, but there is a complex of reasons why this can be difficult. While the emotional, physical, hormonal and spiritual ones may have been beyond the scope of this book, I would at least like to have seen an in-depth look at the economic ones. Instead, the book is padded out with superficial lists (for example, all over the counter diet pills) and self-congratulations.