Profile for Megan > Reviews

Content by Megan

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Megan

The King: A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood
The King: A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood
by J.R. Ward
Price: CDN$ 20.65
33 used & new from CDN$ 14.07

4.0 out of 5 stars Too Many Characters Takes Away From Full Potential, April 13 2014
*SOME SPOILERS BELOW*
I have always been a fan of the BDB series. I was very eagerly awaiting The King, as Wrath and Beth have always held a dear spot in my heart being the original couple. While this book was satisfying in many ways, it also had some shortcomings.

First, the good...
-I was glad that Wrath and Beth got at least half the page time; with both Blay and Qhuinn as well as Payne and Manny I felt that the main characters of the story got a minority of the page time. I was glad Wrath and Beth played a moderately central role in their own story.
-The flashbacks from Wrath Sr.'s point of view provided a neat contrast and insight into the royal family. I enjoyed that.
-Rhevenge got some page time! I have always enjoyed him and although there was nothing from his pov, I was glad to see him more involved.
-John's connection with Darius continues to develop. I am hopeful that in one of the coming books they will finally figure out the reincarnation bit. I am very glad Ms. Ward has kept up with this part of Johns life and I can't wait to see it play out.

Now the not so good...
-Wrath and Beth only got half the page time. While this has been an increase from past books I really wanted more from their point of view.
-The writing felt a little different. There were far too many pop culture references and something about the overall style of writing just felt different. Miley Cyrus's name should never come up that much in a BDB book
-Too. Many. Extra. Characters. Seriously, time to scale back. I have zero interest in Sola and Assail as they were thrust upon us out of nowhere and honestly, I have never liked Xcor and Layla. The girl either needs to turn him in and stop seeing him or not. And Xcor has just never appealed to me. I will be perfectly satisfied if he does not get his own book. Trez and Selena keep me intrigued, but this feels like a rewrite of Beth/Zsadist and Bella/Rhev again. Not terribly original.
-We didn't see ANY of most of the favorites....Vishous, Zsadist, Rhage, Tohr, Blay, Qhuinn....they were all only brief mentions. I enjoyed seeing John play a bigger part but I miss the classic BDB group.

Overall I was fairly satisfied. I wish that we could have a cease on new characters for a while and develop the relationships of some of the old ones a bit more. Hopefully the next book (which I hear is called The Shadows and focusing on Trez/iAm) will be a bit more streamlined.

Shadowfever
Shadowfever
by Karen Marie Moning
55 used & new from CDN$ 1.71

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Ending to a Fantastic Series, March 19 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
If you have read and enjoyed the other four books in this series, you won't be let down by the final installment. Morning does a fantastic job of tying together loose ends while leaving just enough open that for the possibility of a sequel. Readers will be captivated throughout the book, right up until a surprising twist at the end. If you haven't read the rest of the series, I suggest you start now but be warned; you may not be able to put the books down once you start. They are well written, captivating with just enough romance to satisfy the romantics but not so much as to turn away those seeking a thrilling read. This book, and this series, will not disappoint.