Profile for Michael Emond > Reviews

Content by Michael Emond

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Michael Emond "Michael of the North" (Sudbury, Ontario Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Hamilton (Original Broadway Cast Recording)
Hamilton (Original Broadway Cast Recording)
Price: CDN$ 31.58
35 used & new from CDN$ 14.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamilton - yep it's amazing, June 6 2016
So I finally said "I need to find out what all the fuss is about". This musical came and went in Toronto to sold out crowds and tickets are being scalped in New York for $1000 so I wanted to see "would I also love it"? I am already an above average fan of musical theatre but not a die hard. Most ones I like or love (Les Mis being my all time fav) but some popular ones I didn't like (anything by Andrew Lloyd Weber) so I was curious. When I saw Amy Schumer do a spoof on it I finally caved and bought the CD. I was instantly hooked. Like Les Mis it tells the story through the songs and it has a musical style all its own. Unlike Sondheim (who I also love) the music is very accessible. You don't need my review to let you know this music is amazing. Buy it if you are a fan of musical theater and hip hop doesn't put you off. It lives up to the hype.

The Stand-Up Years
The Stand-Up Years
Price: CDN$ 17.42
23 used & new from CDN$ 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Stand Up Comedy of any Era, June 6 2016
This review is from: The Stand-Up Years (Audio CD)
This has Woody Allen's stand up from the 60's. I was thrilled to have it all collected because he was such an outstanding stand up performer even though a) he hated doing it and b) he gave it up soon after he started in the movies. Legend has it he only did it because his agent told him to get noticed (break into movies) the best way was to become famous as a stand up first. But after listening to it it is clear he would have become one of the best ones of all time if he had stuck with it. His personae, his timing, and his absurdist humour were unsurpassed (until Steve Martin came along) and almost every joke still holds up today.

Silver Surfer Volume 1: New Dawn
Silver Surfer Volume 1: New Dawn
by Dan Slott
Price: CDN$ 19.58
36 used & new from CDN$ 4.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Graphic Novel I have read in Years, Feb. 27 2016
Wow. Just Wow. This is the kind of collection that reminds me why I love the media of graphic novels so much and why after so many stories of super heroes have been written there are still amazing stories like this waiting to be written and drawn by two geniuses like Michael Allard and Dan Slott. Slott has become one of my fav writers. There is no one who can touch him when it comes to creative stories that are smart, have humour, pay homage to the character's past (that is, he is an uber-fan like us and doesn't forget what makes the character great and adds to that greatness) and are just all out FUN. FUN is something missing in too many comics today. they have some great writing, art but forget how to have fun. Dan Slott doesn't forget and reminds us of the joy of comics.
He has found a kindred spirit in Michael Allard. Allard's art style is definitely different than usual and when I first saw it decades ago I wasn't immediately impressed but over time I have come to love it. Allard, like Dan, brings the feel of an old time comic with him but adds modern sensibilities. His art literally POPS out of the page and is oozing in creativity.
Okay the story. Well I don't want to go into it too much but the first story is about the Surfer being recruited to help save a pleasure planet and how he comes to meet Dawn, an Earth girl who is somehow connected to him (we don't really find out why in this collection). The second has a nice twist I don't want to reveal but it includes a team up with Surfer's old Defender teammates Dr. Strange and the Hulk (see what I mean when I say Slott is a fanboy just like us). Both stories are so smart and original and I just loved them. the one tack on story at the end - was a bit meh but I'll overlook that.
In a nice bit of "meta" a cosmic being notes how the Silver Surfer (and Dawn) hasn't lived up to his potential. I say it is meta because it feels like Slott saying (as I also believe) that while the Silver Surfer is an amazing character, no writer has yet written a GREAT Surfer story. He has always been dragged down because his powers are too vague (he has cosmic power...which is...um...powerful..and...yeah, not well defined) and he was too morose as a character (and artistically a tad boring to draw). Dan overcomes that by giving him a bit of personality, letting him "silver down" now and then and pairing him up with Dawn who brings so much humour to the character and gives him someone to bounce off of, so instead of morose Surfer having monologues we have a great pair to engage in dialogues. It has a bit of a Dr. Who plus companion feel in that sense. Let's explore the Universe together.
So in closing - best graphic novel, best BOOK I have read in years. Thank you Slott and Allard.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (Bilingual)
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Henry Cavill
Price: CDN$ 8.00
10 used & new from CDN$ 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab! A Movie You Missed in the Theater You should catch on video., Dec 5 2015
Underrated by critics and ignored by many movie goers - this is Guy Ritchie's love letter to the 60's. Henry Cavill gives a perfect performance as Napoleon Solo and Armie Hammer is a chameleon the way he becomes Illya Kuryakin. I never watched the series it was based on but as a stand alone movie I couldn't love it more. The costumes, the set design, the humour the action, everything pops off the screen. Some critics say "weak plot" but come on - it is James Bond for the Fab crowd we don't care about plot we care about fun and man was it fun.

Gatchaman - Complete Collection
Gatchaman - Complete Collection
Price: CDN$ 104.67
15 used & new from CDN$ 100.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta Get Your Gatchaman, Oct. 30 2014
What can I say - for a 1970's animation show the art holds up pretty well - thanks to the fact it was being done overseas and not in "how cheap can we make this" America. While it would be misleading to say all the stories are high drama and intellectual, as a children's program the stories all had a good amount of adventure and almost every episode did have an emotional storyline to draw you into these characters as more than just super-heroes. It was one of my favourite series as a child - even in the horribly put together Battle of the Planets. Thankfully, these are the original shows from Japan. Gone is 7-Zark-7 (yay!); gone is the idea that most of these adventures took place on other planets (I think the change was made so children wouldn't freak out that the Earth was under attack); gone are the edits that took out all mention of people being killed (in Battle of the Planets all ships and planes were piloted by robots). And what remains is a wonderful show.

The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes: Fifty Tantalizing Problems of Chess Detection
Price: CDN$ 15.56
14 used & new from CDN$ 15.56

5.0 out of 5 stars The Logic is Afoot Watson!, Oct. 15 2014
I love Chess, Sherlock and Smullyan. Guess what - I loved this book. At first glance you think "oh, this is one of those books where you figure out how many moves for White to mate" but it isn't that at all. It is from the greatest logician of our century Raymond Smullyan and he has his Sherlock and Watson solve Chess mysteries based on logic. You have to figure out what a missing piece would be. What the last move was. Whose turn it is to move. Based on logic. You do need a basic understanding of chess to solve these but if you have that and a curious mind you'll love this book. His portrayal of Sherlock isn't half bad either. As usual, Smullyan tells a solid story and peppers them with his amazing logic puzzles.

What Is the Name of This Book?: The Riddle of Dracula and Other Logical Puzzles
What Is the Name of This Book?: The Riddle of Dracula and Other Logical Puzzles
Price: CDN$ 16.77
23 used & new from CDN$ 5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars It is Logical to Buy This Book, Oct. 15 2014
One of the earlier Smullyan books. I cannot recommend his books enough. I love them. They were what got me into logic problems when I was a teenager.

Alice in Puzzle-Land: A Carrollian Tale for Children Under Eighty
Alice in Puzzle-Land: A Carrollian Tale for Children Under Eighty
Price: CDN$ 15.54
14 used & new from CDN$ 3.56

5.0 out of 5 stars A logic problem book for all ages, Oct. 15 2014
This is the best book of logic problems I have ever read. It was my first Smullyan logic puzzle book and was not my last. Raymond Smullyan is the best writer of logic problems I have ever encountered and I have rarely been disappointed in his books. This is the perfect one to start with. One note - the illustrations are horrendous, a shame the publishing company didn't hire a better artist.

Windor McCay: Early Works Volume 9
Windor McCay: Early Works Volume 9
by Winsor McCay
17 used & new from CDN$ 24.59

3.0 out of 5 stars More Moore, Sept. 30 2014
The first 2/3 are about a trial of a dead heroine. Intertwined with the trial is a story of a book of great power given to mankind by the trickster Mercury. The trial and the narrative of the book come together quite nicely at the end. The reason for only three stars is the last few stories are Alan Moore trying to reboot the Youngblood and it is less effective. Not enough time to see where he was going with this. Overall, there are better Alan Moore books out there but even this weaker offering from Moore is more creative than 99% of the stuff out there.

Daredevil by Mark Waid Volume 2
Daredevil by Mark Waid Volume 2
by Mark Waid
Price: CDN$ 35.09
36 used & new from CDN$ 28.52

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing Daredevil Returns, July 13 2014
I don't know how long this rant will be but I was so disappointed with this volume after such a promising start in volume one, a weak second half and now it has come to this. Fans rave about this series so I may be in the minority but that's how I feel. What started off as a fresh and welcome new take on Daredevil both visually and in tone has now fallen into the "sad sack" Daredevil that has been the tone ever since Miller left the book. Everyone picks on this guy and in this volume, his self professed "best friend" and new girlfriend dump on him. I am just sick and tired of the mopey tone of the book and Waid started off with the promise that that wasn't going to be the tone of the book when he wrote it but he breaks his promise in spades here. There will be spoilers so stop reading if you don't want to know too much about the stories. The first set of stories were my favourite. They involved Daredevil, Spider-man and Punisher. The art by Checchetto is breathtaking. The story isn't too memorable since we end up back where we started at the end of it but the inclusion of Spider-man and his interaction with Daredevil is welcome. Then we get the conclusion of the "Daredevil has a hard drive that can bring down five major super-crime groups". From the beginning it made no sense that "Daredevil had to bear this burden by himself" bringing angst and the threat of death to him. And as the storyline ends it still makes no sense (still not clear why he couldn't have handed over the hard drive to the Avengers in the first place) and the conclusion of it is not clever nor worthy of all the build up.
It leads to a three parter that was extremely distasteful to me. It was a "rape of a hero" for the sake of torturing your main character. Dr. Doom manages to teleport DD to his castle and punishes him for costing him business with the 5 crime groups by stripping him of all his senses. So Doom can do that? Teleport heroes at his whim? Oh, only when Waid needs him to and not, you know, every other issue of every other comic. Cause if Doom can do that he can pretty much destroy every hero he wants to (i.e. all of them). It is a brutal torture of DD and not interesting and the conclusion of the villain saying "you can't hurt me, diplomatic immunity" is INSANE! Hey, I just kidnapped and tortured DD but every citizen of my country can do whatever they want because of that rule.
Then when DD gets back his friend Foggy accuses him of going insane because he finds DD's dad's remains in DD's desk at work. So, instead of believing in his friend he throws him under the bus and gets his girlfriend to start a manhunt for him. So apparently Foggy wasn't reading the other 300 issues of DD and forgot about super-villains and how his friend is a hero. DD makes a similar rant when it is all cleared up (after another scene of torture - a super-villain was starting a human slave trafficking business - REALLY Marvel? I know we are gritty but how far are you going with this??) and Foggy gives a half apology before again accusing his friend of going insane. My God. And we end with the girlfriend enlisting the help of someone to hunt down DD (apparently Foggy wasn't too quick to speed dial the girlfriend to tell her he is an idiot and made mistake about DD).
So, in short, I think Waid has tonally shifted this book back into a direction I hate, forgot his original promise of having a lighter DD and instead is giving us the sickest take on the character yet (digging up human remains, human trafficking and torturing your main character).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4