Profile for Frances L. Arsenault > Reviews

Content by Frances L. Ars...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Frances L. Arsenault "lover of literature" (Nanaimo, BC, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Horus Prince of the Sun [Import]
Horus Prince of the Sun [Import]
Price: CDN$ 31.40
17 used & new from CDN$ 21.42

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent anime film from 1968, Jan. 26 2015
I have watched this anime film on Youtube.com, and I find it an excellent anime film from 1968. I have also found out that this film was one of the first movies that anime legends Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata worked on. And being that the film is set in The Norse lands, I am a fanatic on Norse folklore and myths...though I didn't see any trace in the film.

While watching the movie,I found the little children (Philip and Mauni), and Koro the bear cub to be very, very cute. I also love Hilda too even though she can be evil (under The Frost King's control); but she does have a great voice.

Kitaro
Kitaro
by Shigeru Mizuki
Price: CDN$ 16.26
30 used & new from CDN$ 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Shigeru Mizuki's famous manga in English, Jan. 26 2015
This review is from: Kitaro (Paperback)
I had first got interested in this manga when I was researching yōkai (Japan's spirits and monsters) on the web. I had seen Shigeru Mizuki's pictures and then I got curious and then looked him up as well as his famous "Gegege no Kitarō". Kitarō is about a ghostly boy who (beside his mostly-decayed father) is the last of his kind - The Ghost Tribe (yūrei zoku). His mother died when he was still in her, but he managed to be born and crawled out of the grave. His father, not wanting his son to be alone came back as one of his eyes and known as " Medama-Oyaji." He fights for peace between humans and yōkai, which generally involves protecting the former from the wiles of the latter. Kitarō and his father are accompanied by Nezumi-Otoko (Rat-Man) and Neko-Musume (Cat-Girl).

The manga became successful that in 1968 an animated was made by Toei Animation. Then other anime version were made - 1971, 1985, 1996, 2007 and in 2008 an 11-episode mini-series "Hakaba Kitarō" which was made based on the "rental" manga Gegege no Kitarō came from. I'd typed Gegege no Kitarō on YouTube and I watched a "couple" of episodes; also on Dailymotion too. Now it is my latest anime obsession. The anime franchise became REALLY popular in Japan but strangely not here in North America.

I had been fortunate to have found out that some of the manga's stories had been translated into English and made into a compilation book. I do wish the other stories would be published in English as well. You know, I found it amazing that Shigeru had drawn his manga with one hand - he lost his other arm during WWII. Anyway, my favorite stories from this book are:
· The Cat Master (Neko-Sennin),
· Castle Yōkai (Yōkai jou), and...
· Man in the Mirror (Kagami-Jijii). Overall, I really love Shigeru Mizuki's awesome manga.

Animal Farm
Animal Farm
DVD ~ Gordon Heath
Price: CDN$ 25.49
25 used & new from CDN$ 17.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Halas and Batchelor's adaptation of George Orwell's controversial novel, July 23 2013
This review is from: Animal Farm (DVD)
At first I wasn't sure if I should read George Orwell's controversial novel, because my sister studied it in school and she didn't like it much. But I had read it and I find it excellent - so is this film. As in the original novel, the story follows a farm animal revolution which at first was successful until Napoleon the corruptive Berkshire boar took matters in his own "trotters."

I find this film from England's Halas and Batchelor really well-done and I don't consider is "Disney-ish" as some think with the dark, violent content that's on it. Also I really must commemorate on the one-man performance by Maurice Denham, the Mel Blanc of British radio. So overall, I love this beautifully animated film; though I would advise you folks NOT to show the film to your children around 7 to 10 years old.

Aladdin and the Magic Lamp [Import]
Aladdin and the Magic Lamp [Import]
DVD ~ Gaston Guez
Offered by Now Showing DVD's
Price: CDN$ 9.00
4 used & new from CDN$ 0.35

5.0 out of 5 stars A colorful, beautifully animated Aladdin, July 1 2013
I had gotten curious after seeing clips on YouTube. So I had ordered this film version of Aladdin and the Magic Lamp and I love it. I find animation from underrated Fench animator Jean Image is almost U.P.A-ish. This film stays true to the orignial Arabin Nights tale and I found it colorful, beautifully animated, and musical with a wonderful soundtrack. I love it when Aladdin serenades the princess.

You know, I had watched many versions of Aladdin and it was hard to choose which version is the best. So I would say that this version and the Japanese anime version that was made 12 years later are the best versions...Sorry Disney and I'm not one to take sides.

Brave (Sous-titres français)
Brave (Sous-titres français)
DVD ~ Kelly MacDonald
Price: CDN$ 24.55
30 used & new from CDN$ 16.80

5.0 out of 5 stars My top favorite film from Pixar, Dec 4 2012
I had seen it at theaters, and now Brave is my top favorite film from Pixar because of it's beautiful soundtrack by Patrick Doyle (Quest for Camelot) and the film's leading lady...I really hated the "bashing" I would see over the internet.

The story is about the tomboyish Princess Merida, who grows tired of her daily life of restricting princess lessons from her queenly mother Elinor. Merida then decides to go against the royal traditions, which is refusing to take a husband from the oldest son of one of three lords from other clans. Seeking to change her fate, Merida receives a spell from a reclusive, eccentric forest witch, but by doing this, unleashes a terrible ancient curse. That is all I could tell you. And I don't favorite a scene (as I said many times), because I love the whole film from beginning to end.

One I would like point out is that why they at Pixar would choose the name "Merida" because some Scottish names are hard for kids to pronounce. Another reason is that I thought since the film is set in the Dark Ages, in the pre-written times of a Celtic people known as the Pictish, predating the Roman era in Scotland's history, where Latin was still spoken...and it is a Latin name. And also I'd read it in The Art of Brave book.

The Secret of Kells (Bilingual)
The Secret of Kells (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Brendan Gleeson
Price: CDN$ 21.00
5 used & new from CDN$ 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best animated movies ever made in Europe, July 16 2012
I had gotten curious when I heard about this film. So I had ordered it online and after I had watched it...I loved it! To me, it was an eye-popping experience.

This film is fictional account of the creation of The Book of Kells, an illuminated Latin manuscript containing the four Gospels of the New Testament. The book is famous for its elaborate illuminations depicting both Celtic knotwork and Christian imagery. The film's young hero Branden is taken under the tutelage of Brother Aidan, a celebrated master illuminator to help complete the precious book before Viking raiders attack the Abbey of Kells. Branden also recieves help from a young fairy girl name Aisling.

So that is all I could tell you folks, and overall Kells is one of the best animated movies ever made in Europe with plenty of fantasy, adventure, humor and beautiful animation. Also I do love the little cat Pangur Bán...she (or he) is cute!

Batman - The Animated Series, Vol. 3
Batman - The Animated Series, Vol. 3
DVD ~ Various
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 29.77
22 used & new from CDN$ 18.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The reason I love the Batman, March 6 2012
I vaguely remember I was 7-years-old when this show aired and it slipped from my memory - until I bought the DVD box-sets of the series, that is. I'd watched all the episodes (including episodes from The New Batman Adventures series) and I love the show; of course, I prefer the original 1992-1994 series. As for the voice acting, I love Roddy McDowell's Mad Hatter, Melissa Gilbert's Batgirl and Henry Polic's Scarecrow...I like the sound of Polic's voice in the episode Nothing to Fear.

So anyway the series and Tim Burton's film version are the reasons I love the Batman.

Batman - The Animated Series, Vol. 2

by Joanna Cole
Price: CDN$ 18.02
46 used & new from CDN$ 2.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reading!, Jan. 6 2012
I never, never get tired of fairy-tales - especially fairy-tales I already know. I love to read the stories from the book every night. My favorite stories are:
· Drakestail (France),
· The Talking Cat (French Canadian),
· The Three Hares (Turkey),
· Beauty and the Beast (France),
· Cinderella (France),
· Snow White (Germany),
· The White Cat (France),
· Puss in Boots (France), and a couple of others. I really love this book! it's excellent reading

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16