Profile for Frances L. Arsenault > Reviews

Content by Frances L. Ars...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Frances L. Arsenault "lover of literature" (Nanaimo, BC, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Animal Farm
Animal Farm
DVD ~ Gordon Heath
Price: CDN$ 21.24
27 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Halas and Batchelor's adaptation of George Orwell's controversial novel, July 23 2013
This review is from: Animal Farm (DVD)
At first I wasn't sure if I should read George Orwell's controversial novel, because my sister studied it in school and she didn't like it much. But I had read it and I find it excellent - so is this film. As in the original novel, the story follows a farm animal revolution which at first was successful until Napoleon the corruptive Berkshire boar took matters in his own "trotters."

I find this film from England's Halas and Batchelor really well-done and I don't consider is "Disney-ish" as some think with the dark, violent content that's on it. Also I really must commemorate on the one-man performance by Maurice Denham, the Mel Blanc of British radio. So overall, I love this beautifully animated film; though I would advise you folks NOT to show the film to your children around 7 to 10 years old.

Aladdin and the Magic Lamp [Import]
Aladdin and the Magic Lamp [Import]
DVD ~ Gaston Guez
Price: CDN$ 5.61
16 used & new from CDN$ 0.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A colorful, beautifully animated Aladdin, July 1 2013
I had gotten curious after seeing clips on YouTube. So I had ordered this film version of Aladdin and the Magic Lamp and I love it. I find animation from underrated Fench animator Jean Image is almost U.P.A-ish. This film stays true to the orignial Arabin Nights tale and I found it colorful, beautifully animated, and musical with a wonderful soundtrack. I love it when Aladdin serenades the princess.

You know, I had watched many versions of Aladdin and it was hard to choose which version is the best. So I would say that this version and the Japanese anime version that was made 12 years later are the best versions...Sorry Disney and I'm not one to take sides.

Brave (Sous-titres français)
Brave (Sous-titres français)
DVD ~ Kelly MacDonald
Price: CDN$ 25.00
34 used & new from CDN$ 9.36

5.0 out of 5 stars My top favorite film from Pixar, Dec 4 2012
I had seen it at theaters, and now Brave is my top favorite film from Pixar because of it's beautiful soundtrack by Patrick Doyle (Quest for Camelot) and the film's leading lady...I really hated the "bashing" I would see over the internet.

The story is about the tomboyish Princess Merida, who grows tired of her daily life of restricting princess lessons from her queenly mother Elinor. Merida then decides to go against the royal traditions, which is refusing to take a husband from the oldest son of one of three lords from other clans. Seeking to change her fate, Merida receives a spell from a reclusive, eccentric forest witch, but by doing this, unleashes a terrible ancient curse. That is all I could tell you. And I don't favorite a scene (as I said many times), because I love the whole film from beginning to end.

One I would like point out is that why they at Pixar would choose the name "Merida" because some Scottish names are hard for kids to pronounce. Another reason is that I thought since the film is set in the Dark Ages, in the pre-written times of a Celtic people known as the Pictish, predating the Roman era in Scotland's history, where Latin was still spoken...and it is a Latin name. And also I'd read it in The Art of Brave book.

The Secret Of Kells (Bilingual)
The Secret Of Kells (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Brendan Gleeson
Price: CDN$ 16.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best animated movies ever made in Europe, July 16 2012
I had gotten curious when I heard about this film. So I had ordered it online and after I had watched it...I loved it! To me, it was an eye-popping experience.

This film is fictional account of the creation of The Book of Kells, an illuminated Latin manuscript containing the four Gospels of the New Testament. The book is famous for its elaborate illuminations depicting both Celtic knotwork and Christian imagery. The film's young hero Branden is taken under the tutelage of Brother Aidan, a celebrated master illuminator to help complete the precious book before Viking raiders attack the Abbey of Kells. Branden also recieves help from a young fairy girl name Aisling.

So that is all I could tell you folks, and overall Kells is one of the best animated movies ever made in Europe with plenty of fantasy, adventure, humor and beautiful animation. Also I do love the little cat Pangur Bán...she (or he) is cute!

Batman - The Animated Series, Vol. 3
Batman - The Animated Series, Vol. 3
DVD ~ Various
26 used & new from CDN$ 11.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The reason I love the Batman, March 6 2012
I vaguely remember I was 7-years-old when this show aired and it slipped from my memory - until I bought the DVD box-sets of the series, that is. I'd watched all the episodes (including episodes from The New Batman Adventures series) and I love the show; of course, I prefer the original 1992-1994 series. As for the voice acting, I love Roddy McDowell's Mad Hatter, Melissa Gilbert's Batgirl and Henry Polic's Scarecrow...I like the sound of Polic's voice in the episode Nothing to Fear.

So anyway the series and Tim Burton's film version are the reasons I love the Batman.

Batman - The Animated Series, Vol. 2

by Joanna Cole
Price: CDN$ 17.33
54 used & new from CDN$ 1.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reading!, Jan. 6 2012
I never, never get tired of fairy-tales - especially fairy-tales I already know. I love to read the stories from the book every night. My favorite stories are:
· Drakestail (France),
· The Talking Cat (French Canadian),
· The Three Hares (Turkey),
· Beauty and the Beast (France),
· Cinderella (France),
· Snow White (Germany),
· The White Cat (France),
· Puss in Boots (France), and a couple of others. I really love this book! it's excellent reading

Story And Song From The Haunte
Story And Song From The Haunte
Price: CDN$ 11.39
20 used & new from CDN$ 7.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a Halloween dinner-party, Oct. 10 2011
I'd listened to this album for many nights and I recommend it to listen in the dark...if you dared! The album's also perfect for a Halloween dinner-party with your family

Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland
Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland
DVD ~ Gabriel Damon
Offered by localMarket
Price: CDN$ 6.13
9 used & new from CDN$ 6.13

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite animated films from my childhood, Aug. 28 2011
This is an anime film I remember vaguely from my childhood. I do remember renting the VHS while visiting my Aunt Sharon, and after a few (I think) years later, I had taped it; I still have it. After watching it, I absolutely love it! With wonderful animation and songs by the award-winning Sherman Brothers, who wrote songs for Disney films like The Jungle Book, The AristoCats, Winnie the Pooh, etc. The film is based on Winsor McCay's comic strip, who was a pioneer of animation; McCay also created the first Little Nemo animated movie in 1911.

The film starts when Nemo wakes up one night to an invitation to visit the wondrous world of Slumberland. There he becomes a playmate for King Morpheus' daughter Princess Camille and is dubbed a prince and heir to the throne. But soon finds that his new position involves the responsibility of protecting Slumberland. Nemo is warned never to open the door which holds the evil Nightmare King prisoner. Dared by a mischievous trickster named Flip, Nemo opens the door, and the Nightmare King slithers out and abducts King Morpheus on the night of Nemo's princely coronation. Assisted by his flying pet squirrel Icarus, Camille, the delicate Professor Genius, and Flip, Nemo travels to Nightmare Land to rescue the King.

I love to watch the little Princess giving Flip a slug in the face, and "sentencing" him to "NO CIGAR SMOKING!" I wish there is a no-smoking law. I also love the lovable Boop goblins who help Nemo on his quest. So overall, I loved this film and it will always been one of my favorite animated films. And one note: Little Nemo is the first anime film to receive a national wide U.S. theatrical release.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16