Profile for vet_michelle > Reviews

Content by vet_michelle

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"vet_michelle" (St. Kitts, West Indies)

Miller's Anatomy of the Dog, 3e
Miller's Anatomy of the Dog, 3e
by Howard E. Evans
9 used & new from CDN$ 98.42

5.0 out of 5 stars The anatomy bible!, July 10 2002
You will either love this book or hate it. I loved it mainly for the pictures, which it has a ton of. They are well labeled and there are usually several different views. I found them very, very helpful in identifying structures in anatomy lab. Our professor even required us to have at least one copy at every dissection table every day!
Most of the pictures are hand drawn in black & white (sometimes with red arteries, blue veins, and yellow nerves). They are some of the best anatomy drawings I have seen and are not too difficult for me to visualize three-dimensionally. There is also a section on bones and the skull in the beginning of the book that includes radiographs.
I think the reason some people use this book only as a doorstop is because the text can be overwhelmingly detailed. Additionally, its large size (1113 pages) makes it very heavy to carry around. There is a much smaller book with pictures out of Miller's, the Guide to the Dissection of the Dog, which has many fewer pictures and was therefore not my book of choice.
I would highly recommend Miller's Anatomy of the Dog to every beginning veterinary student, unless you are pretty sure you don't want to carry around such a heavy book. Use it for the pictures rather than the text and you won't be disappointed.

Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary
Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary
by Douglas C. Blood
Price: CDN$ 108.46
17 used & new from CDN$ 10.75

5.0 out of 5 stars First year students will need this dictionary, May 29 2002
I am a third semester veterinary student and I use this dictionary at least once almost every time I study. The reason I say that first year students will need this book is that I find I am using it less as my basic medical vocabulary grows, but I am still using it regularly. I too borrowed this book from my roommate constantly before I bought my own, even though I own a medical dictionary and had to walk farther to use her vet dictionary. This book simply has more of the veterinary terminology that I need definitions for. It is just the right size to bring with me when I study - it's not too heavy and it has enough words to make it useful. It does have some words that are unnecessary though, such as 'pooper-scooper'!
Another 'pro' for this book is the appendix at the back: there is one for arteries, bones, joints, muscles, nerves, etc. Honestly, the only one I've used is the muscle chart, but that one was great when I was studying for anatomy lab since it has origins and insertions as well as innervations.
Since I do use it so much, I would recommend the hardcover version. If you want to see the picture of the cover or use the 'look inside' feature, you can see these features on the paperback book webpage since they are currently not available at the hardcover webpage. ...
Don't get me wrong; I still think a medical dictionary is useful. I often find words (and their pronunciations, since the Saunders does not have pronunciations) in the medical dictionary that I didn't find in the veterinary dictionary. But I almost always try the veterinary dictionary first, and I almost always find the word I'm looking for in this book.