ARRAY(0xad3de69c)

Profile for Patrick Taylor > Reviews

Content by Patrick Taylor

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Patrick Taylor

Firefly: The Complete Series (Bilingual)
Firefly: The Complete Series (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Nathan Fillion
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 54.53
31 used & new from CDN$ 3.90

5.0 out of 5 stars There's never been another show like Firefly, April 28 2006
The cancellation of this series has to go down as one of the biggest boardroom blunders in the history of tv broadcasting. What were the execs at Fox thinking when they pulled the plug on this brilliant piece of television?!?
This series had everything. Science-fiction/western/action/mystery/social commentary/romance/comedy. Firefly was so hard to just pin down to one genre, that it is almost impossible to describe to somebody who hasn't watched it. I had only seen bits of episodes when the show was originally aired and had to wait for this DVD release to see the whole thing.
I was skeptical when I first started watching it, noting similarities to Starhunter and other shows, but by the time I was a few episodes in, I was totally hooked. OK, I'll say it, I'm a 'browncoat' now.
Enough of the other reviews should give you a decent synopsis of Firefly, but what I think, is that Joss Whedon and company have accomplished, is a complete re-invention of the space-opera genre. There's none of the ridiculous pseudo-science-techno-babble that series in the Star Trek vein (and others) seem to suffer from. The universe of Firefly is far-flung, but beleivable. The technology looks far-future, but well-used. I liked the blending of space-colonization and frontier-towns. It works really well. And I like the fact that there are no tacky bumpy-headed-alien costumes to be seen, anywhere in Firefly. It's a future where humanity has colonized and terraformed dozens of worlds in the galaxy, but still human nature has remained unchanged. All the greed, corruption and the basic need for survival are active driving forces in the show. Firefly is like a bittersweet satire of our world as it is now. It also doesn't have the problem of taking itself too seriously all the time (though there is a lot of drama). There are situations and dialogue from the characters that had me rolling on the floor with laughter. I was even surprised at what I found myself laughing at sometimes.
The cast are brilliant! Each and every one of them. The characters are wonderfully flawed, and also endearing. They are each very gradually fleshed out as the series unfolds. You only find out bits of information at a time. There is a mystery to each member of Serenity's crew (and, no doubt, mysteries about Serenity herself).
While viewing the entire series, I did not see a single episode that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. I don't just mean that none of the episodes sucked (that's a rare enough accomplishment in itself), but that almost every episode made me feel like I was watching something exceptional.
I'm going to purchase the Serenity DVD next (haven't seen it yet). And now I'm hoping that somehow, they will be able to make more in this series. Firefly has become one of my all-time favorites.