Profile for Bonnie Grimsley > Reviews

Content by Bonnie Grimsley

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Bonnie Grimsley

Pop
Pop
Price: CDN$ 15.20
76 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Some people just didn't give it a chance, Oct. 16 1999
This review is from: Pop (Audio CD)
This album is great. Sure it's not JT, but why compare them? Just because that is the boys most commercially successful album, other albums should not be compared to it like that. JT is a great album and I love all the songs on it. Now for Pop, the first several months after I bought the tape (I didn't want to buy it on cd, because I was unsure about it) I listened to it maybe three times. It has been just recently that I have fallen hard for this album. The songs DYFL and Please just have an effect on me that is wonderful. The lyrics on DYFL are way too sexual for me, but I love the song because of the way it sounds. I know lyrics are the core of songs, but for me, the way the song makes me feel, is how I judge it. Miami, IYWTVD, and The Playboy Mansion are the ones I don't care for, but the lyrics are outstanding. And they are growing on me. Discotheque is just plain fun! WUDM is a beautiful plea. The album is great. But if you're a fan that's only comparing it to another of U2's "better" albums, of course you're not going to like it. You're going in negative. That's your choice. Do give this album the chance it deserves though. It really is great.

Reflections and Refractions: Thoughts on Science-Fiction, Science, and Other Matters
16 used & new from CDN$ 1.67

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life., Aug. 7 1999
I discovered Robert Silverberg's work while browsing the library. I was a book called The Book of Skulls. I thought it looked interesting so I took it home and read it. I haven't looked back since. I have read nearly everything I can find by this wonderful man. That brings me to this book. When I finished this book, I had reached a turning point in my life. I began reading Golden Age SF. It really bothers me when younger people say why should I read that? A bunch a dead guys wrote that smelly stuff (since most/nearly all SF was in the pulps). I have read Cliff Simak, Lewis Padgett (who is really C.L. Moore and Henry Kuttner), Robert A. Heinlein, Lester del Rey, John W. Campbell (Night is beautiful), A.E. van Vogt, and many others, and I must say, though some is extremely corny (The Vault of the Beast by van Vogt..."Ha! We're going to take over mankind!), it provided much of the richness that is now in the field. Before reading Reflections and Refractions, I had no idea about this other world. Now I have begun reading about the authors themselves, and the editors, and definitely believe my life is fuller because the great Golden Age.

Starborne
Starborne
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully tight novel, Aug. 7 1999
This review is from: Starborne (Paperback)
If the last few pages of this well written book do not heighten your sense of wonder, you shouldn't read real SF. Stick to your weak novels made from TV shows. I was kissing the book after I finished. It was a very tight book. You felt as if in a dream state throughout. You could feel the harshness of the metal surrounding the crew. You could feel the Year-Captain's confusion. A beautiful piece of art. Not by any means the greatest, but not one to scorn. Silverberg is my favorite author, and this book was great art.

The Mutant Season
The Mutant Season
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Karen Haber did a fine job, July 12 1999
The story is very nifty. Karen Haber definitely has talent. I know Mr. Silverberg did some editing, but I think Ms. Haber's telling is outstanding. I applaud the effort!! A nice bit of science fiction here. Definitely worth reading.

The Celestine Prophecy
The Celestine Prophecy
by James Redfield
Price: CDN$ 13.00
114 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want a crappy piece of literature, it'll work., June 14 1999
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I found this book repulsive. It was as if this was written by a five year old, that thought that Dr. Suess was a master of adult fiction. I have read it and the story does eventually get interesting, but only the action ansd insights. Not the dialogue nor the descriptions. Also I saw most of the insights as common sense for a decent human being. I would not recommend this book if you want to extend your vocabulary. The sentence repeated annoyingly is "I was completely captivated..." or synonyms thereof. The book was just not my cup of tea.