Profile for Diane Bellomo > Reviews

Content by Diane Bellomo

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Diane Bellomo (Baltimore, MD United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Living History
Living History
by Hillary Rodham Clinton
92 used & new from CDN$ 1.94

1.0 out of 5 stars Y.A.W.N., July 21 2003
This review is from: Living History (Hardcover)
I wanted to like this book. I *really* wanted to. And I tried. I struggled through the first 75 pages, and then even skipped ahead to the Monica stuff (page 439) in a desperate effort to find something readable. Nope.
Okay, this isn't a spy novel or my precious Star Trek, but I expected at least *some* daring writing. Not a word. In fact, the only three bright spots I noticed were: 1) The photos, 2) A few pages describing getting Chelsea to Stanford (pages 419-421), and 3) Five paragraphs on page 438 about the "swimsuit photo." Beyond that, I wouldn't know, because that's about all I read.
The Acknowledgements are 6 pages long, and the Index is 28 pages! I'm not sure what I was expecting from this book, but I'm pretty sure "deadly" wasn't it. Sorry, Hillary.

Some Assembly Required (Star Trek: SCE, Omnibus Book 3)
Some Assembly Required (Star Trek: SCE, Omnibus Book 3)
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I Continue To Gush., June 29 2003
I believe I've said this already, but I think this S.C.E. idea was about the best ever (you GO, DeCandido!), and this next batch was no exception to that idea. Waiting for the paperbacks puts me woefully behind the eBooks, this I know, but my patience has been consistently rewarded with each new publication.
In Book Three, we get eBook stories 9-12, and each one is a separate little thrill ride into the S.C.E. universe. And I guess what I'm most impressed with is the continuity of character development and growth throughout each author's writing. That can't be an easy task, especially when the authors are also charged with writing a compelling plot.
If you're like me and don't really care for the eBook format, but are interested in learning about the Starfleet team that goes in to clean up the messes, I *highly* recommend these books. Fast-paced but complex, with great character development and depth.
Good job, I say! Don't stop!

Cathedral (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 3)
Cathedral (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 3)
by Michael A.;Mangels, Andy Martin
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand (and other words like it found in any thesaurus), Nov. 6 2002
As I have been reading this re-launch, it occurred to me (duh) that my beloved characters are growing and changing - some, perhaps, in ways I would prefer them *not* to - but certainly none of them are at the place they were when we last saw Deep Space Nine on the tube.
I count this as a good thing, whether I agree with the changes or not. And that's the whole point of this effort, I believe: To lengthen and re-shape characters and situations, *not* to have them lie fallow in our memories, but to continue to move forward into events that might not have fit the mold a few years ago.
For one, the idea of Bajor actually becoming part of the Federation was like a pipe dream when the show was airing - a dream not everyone embraced. Now it's a reality, but this brings a new reality to people like Kira, Ro, and Quark, as well - and still, as you would expect, the idea of Bajor being part of the UFP has not been welcomed by everyone.
As for the Defiant's mission in the Gamma Quadrant, I can only say here is where the book's title really hits home. Three (well, four) crewmembers are decidedly changed after being scanned by an alien artifact, and what they must go through to return to their former selves involves leaps of faith and trust that you or I might never dare to attempt.
And throughout this novel are hints and whispers of things to come that tug uneasily at the heartstrings. Too sappy for you? Too bad! You're missing a good series if you're not reading this one.

This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
by Heather Jarman
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding., Oct. 7 2002
I think I'll provide the gut-response review, and leave the more cerebral efforts to other reviewers.
And what does my gut say? WELL DONE!
The biggest advantage I see, not only in this novel, but with the re-launch itself, is the fact that things can happen without the worry that the next television episode will turn a well-written story into an a/u. I know, I know, the pro novels were never meant to follow canon, but there were always constraints - constraints that are absent from this series.
While some events in this novel are similar in many ways to events I've read in other Trek novels, at no other time has my heart entered in so fully. That's not to say there's not a goodly amount of destruction and betrayal, but the moments that resonant for me are the ones that involve the tragedies and triumphs of the heart. I speak of Andorian bondmates, a young woman's posthumous gift of peace, and baseballs in the forest.
Applause, applause to Heather Jarman in her first pro effort (though I've read her before, but I won't say where) and look forward with great expectation to the next in this series. In fact, I look forward to more pro stuff from Heather, too.

Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 1)
Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 1)
by David R. III George
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, Sept. 27 2002
If you're a fan of the DS9 re-launch, this is the next book to read. And if you're *not* a fan, I'd recommend you become one, if for no other reason than to read pro Trek that's out from under the contraints of television canon. Imagine, no pesky demographics getting in the way of decent (and multiple) plotlines. It's so *refreshing*!
While it may be true you could be lost if you start with this book, I'll betcha you'll go back to the beginning of the re-launch if you *do* decide to start here.
"Twilight" (the first in a series of four called "Mission Gamma") sets a number of scenes involving our favorites from DS9, plus a few others who were introduced earlier. To me, this is a face-paced and meaty story, with just the right mix of space battles and character development - exactly the way I like my Star Trek. Some story lines are resolved in this novel, but others will be carried into future books, which is as it should be. Kira's holding down the fort on DS9, while Vaughn is on the Defiant, exploring the Gamma Quadrant. To say anything more would be giving away too much.
David R. George's writing style has been described by another reviewer as "extraordinarily rich in descriptive narrative," and I quite agree. He's easy on the eye and the mind - though I *did* add a number of words to my vocabulary with this book.
In reading over the other reviews, I see many who are gagging over the budding romance between Ro and Quark. But I think it's just one more example of the beauty of this whole re-launch thing. Heck, having Ro on the station *at all* is more than we'd probably ever see on TV - at least a Ro with Michelle Forbes' face, which is how I'll always picture her. So I'll take Ro/Quark as part of the whole that is "Mission Gamma" and keep on reading! Besides, I've seen odder couples in my life, so why should I think something in fiction is so farfetched? They say love is blind, after all, and if you read this book, you may discover Ro and Quark have more in common than you might think.
There is also a tiny sub-plot about Kasidy Yates, as she waits alone on Bajor for the birth of her child. She's also trying to come to terms with being the wife of the Emissary, which isn't easy without Ben *or* Jake to support her. I'm glad Kasidy's been included in the re-launch. Hers was the story I really wanted to see resolved - or at least continued - and I'm glad to see it happening here.

The Battle of Betazed (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
The Battle of Betazed (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
by Susan;Douglas, Charlotte Kearney
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlotte & Susan: You GO Girls!, June 12 2002
First, I recommend you read both "imzadi" and Joe Zika's reviews and know I agree with them both. (On to my review.)
After having just read "A Hard Rain," I can only say I'm glad I saved this one for last. This was one story that needed to be told. It's fast-paced and meaty, and packed with real-life decisions and hard truths about less-than-ethical compromises that must be made in times of war.
Though this is going to sound perfectly ridiculous, the one thing that satisfied me the most had nothing to do with the battle but with a bit of continuity I applaud: We learn about the existence of Barin, Deanna's two-and-a-half year old half-brother.
...And this time, halleluia, the cover art *does* have something to do with the plot!

Dyson Sphere (Star Trek: The Next Generation No. 50)
Dyson Sphere (Star Trek: The Next Generation No. 50)
by Charles Pellegrino George Zebrowski
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't get it., June 12 2002
I got myself through this book, only because I kept thinking the next page would draw me in. But it never did. Nothing flowed very well, and about the only thing that really held my interest were the essays by the authors at the end.
But try as I might, I simply could not envision the inside of this Sphere or what was happening to it, and the story narrative did nothing to help, nevermind the stilted, choppy dialogue.
And Scotty, where the heck was Scotty??!!! Too many mentions of his poor ship, but no sign of my favorite engineer. I didn't check the timeline, so I don't know if he was already with the Starfleet Corps of Engineers by the time this book was written, but maybe not. Doesn't matter, he should have been part of this story. Heck, the S.C.E. should have been here, not the Enterprise!
If you ask me, the only characters with any depth at all were made of rock. Better you simply watch the TNG episode, "Relics," and be done with it.

A Hard Rain (Star Trek The Next Generation)
A Hard Rain (Star Trek The Next Generation)
by Dean Wesley Smith
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh, sigh...kinda disappointing., May 8 2002
I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting from this novel, but I'm pretty sure it didn't live up to my expectations, if that makes any sense. Dean Wesley Smith is one of my favorites, and the book's certainly written in his familiar style, but I think he fell short of the mark on this one. I kept waiting for the story to grip me, but it never did, and I figured it out way before Dix did.
I did, however, LOVE the cover. As I have said in the past, I *do* buy books for their covers, and having met the artist, Sonia Hillios, at Shore Leave at the very time she had finished painting this one, well, I just had to have it when I saw it for sale.
But unless you simply must have a complete set of TNG paperbacks or adore the covers like I do, you can skip this one and not be any worse for it.
That having been said, I hope Dean gets a chance to try again, because I like the idea of Dixon Hill, and I'm sure Dean does, too.

Immortal Coil (Star Trek The Next Generation)
Immortal Coil (Star Trek The Next Generation)
by Jeffrey Lang
12 used & new from CDN$ 17.97

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpectedly *remarkable* Data story, March 1 2002
Before you open this book, I'd recommend you first brush up on your Trek history by watching your copy of the TOS episode, "Requiem for Methuselah." Or if you don't own the episode on tape, like I don't, go instead to your handy TOS Companion and the Trek Encyclopedia to read up on it. You might also want to do the same for the TNG episode, "Measure of a Man," just so you'll have a better list of who's who for this novel. (Of course, I only had to go as far as the ruthlessly-organized bookshelf upstairs for my tape of "Measure of a Man," but that's something else entirely.) It's *very* satisfying the way this novel ties these continuity threads together, while at the same time providuing character...growth and change, shall we say?
As I glanced over the other reviews, I noticed Joshua Macy's first paragraph - with his comments about it being a mystery, a meditation on immortality, a romance (yup, *romance*), and a bang-up sci-fi adventure all rolled into one - pretty much sums it up, including that part about giving him the shivers.
There was a hauntingly-delicious moment for me, very near the end, when Data comes to understand why Picard insisted he not deactiviate his emotion chip. If it were anyone else, you might yawn with the obviousness, but it's not anyone else - it's *Data.* He's not supposed to come to these kinds of understandings.
Is he?
I'd say this book is worth it just for that, but it's not. It's worth it for FAR more. Go with your gut: read this one.

Miracle Workers, S.C.E. Book Two
Miracle Workers, S.C.E. Book Two
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Continued Good Reading., Feb. 19 2002
I can't say much in this review of Book 2 of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers that I didn't already say in my review of Book 1. That is, it's great! Well-written, believable, and very entertaining, with nods to continuity throughout. If you're not reading these, or the DS9 re-launch, then you're missing out on some great stuff.
An added bonus in the back of this publication is the S.C.E. Minipedia, written by one of the good ones, Keith R.A. DeCandido. Set up like the Star Trek Encyclopedia, it contains all you'll need to know and more about the persons, places, and things in the S.C.E. universe, which includes, of course, plenty of the canon stuff we've come to know and love. And for those of you who favor nitpicking, there's an e-mail address where you are invited to send in errors, corrections, or comments if you wish.
Win-win, if you ask me.