Profile for Melissa > Reviews

Content by Melissa

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Melissa (Houston, TX USA)

Honkin On Bobo (Ltd Ed)
Honkin On Bobo (Ltd Ed)
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 33.94
8 used & new from CDN$ 33.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, July 9 2004
This review is from: Honkin On Bobo (Ltd Ed) (Audio CD)
Thank you Aerosmith! This has barely been out of my CD player for the last 2 weeks! As one other reviewer said, this is not a blues record. But as true music fans will know, rock and roll is got its start in the blues, and this is kick-ass rock and roll staying true to its roots. Steven Tyler sounds better vocally than he has in years, and Joe Perry is amazing as always.
I went to their concert in Houston about a month ago, and it was their best that I have been to (and this was my 4th in the last 15 years). Bottom line - they're finally doing the music they love - and it shows.

Forests of the Heart
Forests of the Heart
by Charles de Lint
Price: CDN$ 15.87
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Charles De Lint does it again!, Aug. 7 2001
This review is from: Forests of the Heart (Paperback)
I'm not good at synopsis, so I won't go there - you can read the editorial reviews for that.
Because I'm on a budget, I've been waiting breathlessly for this to come out in paperback, and it was well worth the wait! I've been a De Lint fan for years and he has yet to let me down. I love his earlier Newford stories, and the way he combined the Celtic/European folklore like in many of the short stories, and the Native American folklore like in "Somewhere to be Flying" is breathtaking! And there IS a very obscure, fleeting reference to the Crow Girls (my favorite De Lint characters of all) but if you're not looking for it (like I look for them in all his Newford stories) you'll miss it.
The new characters he introduces in this book are so well developed that they feel like old friends right away. And the cameos from the regulars (Jilly, Sophie, Geordie, Angel, et. al.) made me feel like I was visiting a familiar, much loved place.
I will agree with several other reviewers that if you've not read any of the Newford stories, you really should begin with the short story collections (Dreams Underfoot <esp this one>, The Ivory and the Horn, and Moonlight and Vines) for the reasons in the prior paragraph.
Yes, it is very familiar territory, but when you love a place, don't you love to keep going back? All in all, a great read, and I can't wait for The Onion Girl (Jilly's story) to come out!

MEMORY & DREAM
MEMORY & DREAM
by Charles de Lint
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of De Lint's strongest, July 17 2001
This review is from: MEMORY & DREAM (Paperback)
This book is very near the top of my favorites list. "Memory & Dream" is one of the most emotionally powerful books I have read. I felt such a strong connection to the characters, and found myself mirroring their emotions as they felt them. Anyone who has ever felt unsure of herself will see some of herself in Isabelle, and Kathy's story will absolutely break your heart. Rosalind and Cosette make me smile whenever I think of them. This book will make you laugh and cry, and you'll feel as though you have made a whole new set of friends that you'll have to revisit again and again.

The Magic Circle
The Magic Circle
by Katherine Neville
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 8.54
71 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Parts were good, but disappointing overall, Jan. 14 2000
Like some other reviewers, I am a big fan of Katherine Neville. The Eight, which I read for the first time about 10 years ago, is my favorite book of all time, and I have read it so many times, I've practically memorized it! I enjoyed A Calculated Risk as well, although not as much. I was so excited to discover that she had written another book incorporating historical characters and background with a modern-day story, that I bought it immediately even though there were some negative reviews.
Much of the history was very interesting and her take on how it might have been was thought-provoking. She is also extremely talented in descriptive narrative and it is easy to visualize what she is writing about. However, after plodding through the confusing twists and jumps from one subject to the next (and I am normally a big fan of plot twists and turns) I believe she went a little overboard with trying to connect everything with everybody, and ended up with a story that didn't make much sense, and an ending that was totally anticlimactic and didn't seem to really fit with the rest of the book.
The jumps in this book between history and modern-day are difficult to connect, she tries to incorporate so many things that it's hard to keep up with what you've read before.
I am still a Neville fan, and would like to give this book a second read and try to actually diagram Ariel's family tree (I'm not sure it can be done!). But it will take a while before I'm ready to plunge into it again.
But keep writing Katherine! As they say, two out of three (so far) ain't bad!