Profile for Jimmy Reiher > Reviews

Content by Jimmy Reiher

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jimmy Reiher

MySQL
MySQL
by Paul DuBois
26 used & new from CDN$ 5.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners and experts for SQL, May 29 2002
This review is from: MySQL (Paperback)
The book is a great reference for the full range of syntax that MySQL offers, and also taught me how to use basic SQL syntax. I did know a bit of SQL before I bought this book but I think if I didn't I wouldn't have a problem understanding it. Once you are through the basics there is a pretty sharp learning curve because it gets in-depth. The book includes PHP coding but I found that to be very hard to understand. "MySQL & PHP from Scratch" was an awsome partner to this book because it included a great PHP reference which this book lacks, and was plenty to get me programming in PHP. I'm not sure how well the installation guide is because my hosting company set up the database. The book also includes some UNIX and Perl DBI help but again I only bought the book for SQL so could not tell you how well those sections are.

MySQL & PHP From Scratch
MySQL & PHP From Scratch
by Wade Maxfield
Price: CDN$ 29.59
20 used & new from CDN$ 1.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference for PHP, May 29 2002
This book could not possibly be better for simply looking up syntax. If you already know how to program this is perfect. The only weak point is the printf format syntax, though even that is decent.