Profile for Dr. David M. Bird bird@nrs.mcgill.ca > Reviews

Content by Dr. David M. B...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dr. David M. Bird bird@nrs.mcgill.ca (Canada)

Bird Watching For Dummies
Bird Watching For Dummies
by Bill Thompson
Price: CDN$ 15.87
47 used & new from CDN$ 1.63

5.0 out of 5 stars The best introductory book for bird-watchers so far!, Nov. 24 1998
When I accompany Rodger Titman, my ornithological sidekick, on leading a field trip of bird-watchers of all ages and experience, we usually find it prudent to split the group between us. After all, how many self-respecting birds are going to hang about with the harangue and hubbub of a humongous herd of humans?! Not just because Rodger is a much more experienced birder than me, I generally volunteer to lead the group of total neophytes. While we might not spot those rare, exciting species, I simply find it satisfying to turn people onto birding and to teach them the basic ingredients of such a pleasurable hobby. No question asked of me is ever judged in my mind to be "dumb"! Moreover, I have never referred to anyone in any of my groups as a "dummy". So don't be insulted if I insist that you rush out to your favourite nature or better book store and buy a brand-new book called Bird Watching for Dummies. Written by Bill Thompson III, editor of a classy popular magazine called Bird Watcher's Digest (BWD), Bird Watching for Dummies is probably the best book you're ever gonna read on this subject! Gosh, I wish I'd written it! Part of the award-winning ...For Dummies(R) series (remember Computers for Dummies?) published by IDG Books World-wide, Inc., this so-easy-to-read-that-it's-funny volume contains information on just about every aspect of bird-watching you can think of. Want some examples? How to design and maintain a bird-friendly yard with feeders, baths, gardens and houses. Where to obtain all your birding needs. How to identify both eastern and western birds from hummers to herons and even recognize birds by their songs. How to go beyond just bird-watching locally by participating in bird counts, tours and festivals. There's much more. What's really neat about Bird Watching for Dummies is that the text is broken up into nicely digestible, humorous tidbits so that you don't have to read it all. It's so understandable that you'd have to be a dummy not to learn something from it! If you're going to buy one bird-watching book in your lifetime, besides your favourite field guide, of course, this is the one to get. It's a bargain at $26.99 (ISBN 0-7645-5040-3). Trust me on this!