Profile for Bob Feeser > Reviews

Content by Bob Feeser

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Bob Feeser "MillCrafters.com" (Springfield, PA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Adobe(R) Acrobat(R) 5 Master Class
Adobe(R) Acrobat(R) 5 Master Class
by Patti Belle Hastings
13 used & new from CDN$ 18.41

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best out of Four, June 1 2004
I bought four books on Acrobat 5, and this one is by far the best. It is written conceptually. It appeals to the senses as well as providing an education. Taking vast amounts of information and refining it so that it is presented simply yet thoroughly. I enjoy reading it.
I also bought Classroom in a book by the Adobe Creative Team and it is work. I am sure over time I will derive a lot from it, but Master Class is fun. You would never know that your working because you are too busy seeing all the cool stuff you can do with Adobe 5 and how to do it.
I also bought Real World PDF with Adobe Acrobat 5 by Anita Dennis, Industrial Strength Production Techniques, and that is a book for advanced students. It explains everything clearly, and is a big benefit for explaining the details on how to fit Adobe PDF into your print production overflow.
Adobe PDF is so much more than simply converting your files. It appears simple on the outside, but when you read Adobe 5 Master Class, you will be enthralled with how much more it does. Highly recommended for beginners and advanced students.

Adobe Acrobat 5.0
Adobe Acrobat 5.0

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best deal going right now for Acrobat, May 20 2004
This review is from: Adobe Acrobat 5.0 (CD-ROM)
By the time I was done reading the reviews for Adobe Acrobat 6.0 I was depressed. Not only do I not have Windows XP, or Windows 2000, or NT installed in my machine (The only operating systems that will work with 6) I also couldn't muster up the confidence in the product after so many people were giving it the thumbs down. I want to create an eBook, and Adobe Reader is the most popular reader out there, with some 400 million, to a half a billion users with it installed. What a dilemma. I kept coming back to read some more. Finally I found the answer. I bought a new Adobe Acrobat 5.0 here at Amazon from one of their vendors, and it works great with my Windows 98SE. I planned on buying the 6.0 upgrade after they got the bugs out, and or I got a new computer with XP. Then I found out that 5.0 was the only version before, and that was the professional version. 6.0 Standard is a geared down version of 5. Ok, so it has some additional features, but it is missing all the rest of the professional features that 5 has.
So what's the skinny on the deal? For what I paid for a new 5 that is the full program, unregistered, and upgradeable, plus what I would have to pay here at Amazon for the 6 Professional Upgrade, I saved 80 bucks, and wound up with both versions 5 and 6 pro. Which as I mentioned are both professional versions. If I bought 5 and upgraded to 6 standard, I would only spend a little more for both versions. (About 4 percent more for standard, and about 20 percent less for professional) That way if 6 standard turned out to be as bad as many were saying it is, I would have 5 also.
In the final analysis, I am using 5 and am super excited about the new capabilities that Adobe Acrobat gives you. I'm hoping that by the time I get a new machine with XP on it, Adobe will come out with 6.something, or a second edition of 6 etc. with the fixes built in.
I'm not the only one to come to this conclusion. I noticed in the sales rank at the time I bought it and wrote this review, that 5 was outselling 6. Also I noticed that in the "Those who bought 5 also bought this" section, it had a special note that said, 47% of the people who bought 5 also bought the 6 upgrade. If your running XP, 2000, or NT, get them both. That way all the bases are covered.
Check out the reviews on 5 you'll be surprised how everybody raves about it. To be perfectly honest with you, if I had an XP machine, I would have ordered the 6 upgrade at the same time. Hope this helps.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Upgrade [OLD VERSION]
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Upgrade [OLD VERSION]

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one sweet operating system but not 4 old technology, May 13 2004
Windows XP Pro is quite arguably the most reliable operating system that Microsoft has come out with yet. Additionally it comes with the option of converting it to a Windows 98SE desktop appearance, for those who don't want to fuss with learning new instructions to get the old things done. It does so much more though.
One note of caution; do not install XP in an older machine, with older hardware. Your sound card vendor may have stopped making software drivers a long time ago for your now discontinued device. The problem is that they do not want to spend the resources to create drivers for a product that they no longer make. So if you have an old video card, audio card, modem, etc, it quite possibly won't work with XP. If you try to install XP you will get all kinds of incompatible error messages. So do yourself a favor and put old wine into old bottles, and new wine into new ones; consider getting a newer machine if you are going to upgrade to XP. You might wind up spending close to the same amount of money upgrading your components to make it work, as you would to just simply buy a new one. Check with all of your hardware manufacturers to see if they produced XP drivers for your existing hardware. Hope this helps.

Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional
Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional

5.0 out of 5 stars Here is the Skinny on the Deal, May 13 2004
By the time I was done reading the reviews for Adobe Acrobat 6.0 I was depressed. Not only do I not have Windows XP, or Windows 2000, or NT installed in my machine (The only operating systems that will work with 6) I also couldn't muster up the confidence in the product after so many people were giving it the thumbs down. I want to create an eBook, and Adobe Reader is the most popular reader out there, with some 400 million, to a half a billion users with it installed. What a dilemma. I kept coming back to read some more. Finally I found the answer. I bought a new Adobe Acrobat 5.0 here at Amazon from one of their vendors, and it works great with my Windows 98SE. I planned on buying the 6.0 upgrade after they got the bugs out, and or I got a new computer with XP. Then I found out that 5.0 was the only version before, and that was the professional version. 6.0 Standard is a geared down version of 5. Ok, so it has some additional features, but it is missing even more of them.

Grt Wood Finishes
Grt Wood Finishes
by Jeff Jewitt
Price: CDN$ 17.19
31 used & new from CDN$ 6.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you want to know, April 20 2004
This review is from: Grt Wood Finishes (Paperback)
I owned a high end body shop for twenty years. Did a lot of European cars, and the finished products, all to often, wound up under strong showroom lights. Factory approved finishing and repair for BMW, Benz etc. With specific application techniques, and finally exhaustive rubbing, a finish was produced that would far exceed factory specs. It was necessary to tone it down unless you were doing an overall. Why am I saying all of this? Well mainly this: If someone asked me about refinishing I could get very specific about techniques. What to do, what not to do, and the tips and tricks to take it over the top. It is all to often the technique that would separate the mind blowing finish from the mundane. Of course the proper material had a lot to do with it, but if I had to choose just one, it would be technique. Now that woodworking is a part of my life, trying to apply 20 years of automotive knowledge to woodworking, is almost a waste of time. In automotive, you build up a thick layer of finish, that is often catalyzed for quick drying, then the next day cut it with wet and dry paper, and polish it with lambs wool bonnets. Unfortunately that doesn't have a thing to do with wood finishing. I have been on a quest for the past couple of years to find a book on wood finishing that would give me the kind of knowledge that I understood with automotive. After all of my searching, I finally found it, and Great Wood Finishes: A Step-By-Step Guide to Consistent and Beautiful Results by Jeff Jewitt is it. You couldn't gain the experience given in this book without spending a lot of years acquiring it. The only obstacle to acquiring a lifetime of finishing knowledge is our willingness to open our minds and accept it.
They say their is two ways to learn: Either go through the school of hard knocks, or listen to someone who has gone through the school of hard knocks. Not only does this book show you how, their is a knack applied, by the author of explaining the relevant aspects of what you want to know. Their is no way I want to spend the kind of time and resources that would be necessary, in order to learn the lessons explained in this book. I guess you could say that Jeff Jewitt is more than an deeply experienced wood refinisher, he is an excellent teacher as well.
He explains the different finishing techniques, each of the different materials, and even the unique problems you acquire in finishing different species of wood.
The book gives you full color photographs, for example, of a piece of cherry, which is divided into different sections, displaying the different shades as a result of different coloring techniques.
I am glad that I bought the other books on refinishing wood, but this book is the one that I feel the most akin to. The author tells you the pitfalls to avoid, and is still very much in touch with the reasons why he does what he does. He doesn't just say this is the way you do it period. He explains quite often the reason why. Overall I highly recommend this book. Nothing really negative to say about it. It's a great one.

Make Your Own Handcrafted Doors and Windows
Make Your Own Handcrafted Doors and Windows
by John Birchard
14 used & new from CDN$ 45.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Get into woodworking, buy the tools, make your own windows, Feb. 26 2004
Unfortunately this book is out of circulation. I guess it didn't go back into print because most people buy windows rather than make them. That is a shame, because this book is well written. I had first heard about it when I bought a set of Freud router bits for making window sashes. They said, "Get Make your own handcrafted doors and windows by John Birchard to learn how to make them. It is chock full of ideas, pictures, and examples.
Windows are a critical application and this book will help you in both your window making and door making quests. I had been trying to find a copy for about a year, and finally found one available here at Amazon, after calling Sterling Publishing.
Highly recommended.

Smoothies!: The Original Smoothie Book
Smoothies!: The Original Smoothie Book
by Daniel P. Titus
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the best. Fruit smoothies for the health of it., Jan. 26 2004
This book is one of the best, if not the best book on smoothies. Getting more fruit into our diets is something we all aspire to, but few achieve. Between having to shop for it, getting it home, and it spoils one day later, makes the recommended daily levels fruit consumption a lot more difficult to achieve. Then along came smoothies, and now we freeze our fruit. Chop it up into little squares as soon as you get it home, and place it in zip loc bags. Then the smoothie is always ready; no more spoilage.
My favorite is to take banannas, honeydew melon, cantaloupe, strawberries, and blueberries to make an all fruit shake. In this book you see a lot of varieties of the smoothies.
It's worth it just for the redipes. Highly recommended.

Decorating with Architectural Trimwork: Planning, Designing, Installing
Decorating with Architectural Trimwork: Planning, Designing, Installing
by Jay Silber Mr.
48 used & new from CDN$ 1.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, wonderfully illustrated, Jan. 23 2004
I have read many books on woodworking. Some of them have pictures of products you would never consider putting in your own home. Not in this book. It is full of pictures of trim work that is beautiful. If you buy this book just for the examples you see makes it worth it. I open it sometimes just to get inspired to higher levels of woodworking.
All in all well written, and super well illustrated. Highly recommended.

Microsoft FrontPage 2003 Upgrade
Microsoft FrontPage 2003 Upgrade

5.0 out of 5 stars HTML made easy but....., Jan. 15 2004
Front Page is Microsoft's solution to web page creation. It simplifies web pages by giving you three windows. One is the normal view, which gives you word processing type tools. If you are familiar with copy and paste, and changing font colors and sizes, inserting pictures via copy and paste or the insert file, picture, etc method, then that is a giant leap from learning HTML code. No code experience is necessary. That is all in Normal view. If you click the tab on the bottom that says HTML, you instantly see the entire page in HTML. So what you have is the intuitive interface of Microsoft Word etc, and the automatic capability of HTML. If you click on the third tab on the bottom, you see Preview. Preview activates your creation to see what it will look like when published. If you have any active items, like streaming banners, or little cartoon like characters making movements, they will come alive.
A word of caution is worth mentioning. Front Page commands are a bit different in many ways as well. For example when I first learned the program I was frustrated that I could not put type on the following line. It would skip a line, automatically going to double spacing. After doing a lot of digging in the book, I found out that you have to hold down "shift" then press the return-enter button to go down a single line. I don't want to oversimplify the program. Their is a slight learning curve. In a lot of ways it is like a word processor, and in a lot of other ways, it is learning a new language. It follows the usual MSFT learning curve of frustration followed by elation.
So pick up a book and spend some time with the program. After all conquer this one, and you open up the .com world. With many sites offering free web site hosting for the privilege of being able to show banner ads on your site, you can create multiple sites without any monthly charge. The only expense is the annual .com name registration, which is less than ten dollars at GoDaddy.com for example.
So what Front Page does is give you the capability of easily creating web pages (after the slight learning curve) Do you have a business, publish it. What about a social organization, or your network of friends. Interactive sites with discussion boards, that is easy with FP. The sky is the limit.
To take advantage of features like web page hit counters etc, the server you are publishing to must have Front Page extensions installed. Many web host providers have an extension option. After joining you go online and click on the "Install Front Page Extensions" If your web host doesn't have that option you can still use Front Page to your advantage. By creating your web page in normal mode, then clicking on the HTML view, you can take the HTML code, copy and paste it. This gives you creative power in submitting eBay's ads for example. When you use ebay's insertion tool, you simply paste your creation into the description area. When you preview your ad their it is in its full creative glory with colorful fonts, inserted pictures etc. No simple bland black and white text. That is just another example of the new world that opens up to you with Front Page.
I highly recommend the product. Nothing is perfect, but it makes it possible for the rest of us to create stylish professional web pages with minimal effort. Buy it you won't be sorry.

Manifest Your Destiny
Manifest Your Destiny
by Wayne Dyer
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
56 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Where did you set your thermostat?, Jan. 14 2004
Anthony Robbins the famous motivational speaker states that people have a thermostat setting in their minds which is set at a specific success level. Anything lower and they scramble to get back to their setting, anything higher, and they tend to sabotage it.
Dr Dyer in this book takes a different approach. He mentions that people choose a path to enlightenment that is either suffering, goal setting, and the highest order, living on purpose. We overcome obstacles through our general approach to life through one of these approaches. Some through suffering realize enlightenment. Others approach life with goal setting. Hard work, climbing the tower, and they finally arrive. Finally the people who realize that their is a greater purpose for our lives, and get in touch with that reality. By living on purpose all things are added unto you. It is the ideal solution to our lives.
I remember seeing a bumble bee one summer, trying to escape to the outside world. Repeatedly hitting his head against the glass window. Flying toward the glass, hitting his head, staggering, recomposing, and heading toward the glass once again. Again and again, banging his head into the glass. I sat back from across the room and wished I could speak to the bee and share with him the information that only a few feet from the window was a wide open door. Through continual trying the bee could possibly exhaust himself to the floor, and maybe then see the opening to the door. Others may call upon their greater sense, or rely on their intuitive sense, or greater guidance, and find the simple solution without the suffering or goal achieving.
Are we living on purpose? Achieving our destiny? It may be time to stop and ask ourselves that question, and that is what this book is about.
I find Dr Dyer to an enlightened person. He draws upon the teachings of many spiritual masters. Transcending the standards that are often dictated to us by others. I have learned more lifetime truths from him, than from most any other author. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is steering their way through life. (Which is all of us.) I have never read a book by Dr. Dyer that was not an enlightening experience.
Highly recommended.