Profile for L. D. Godfrey > Reviews

Content by L. D. Godfrey
Top Reviewer Ranking: 361

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

L. D. Godfrey
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
No Regrets Coyote: A Novel
No Regrets Coyote: A Novel
by John Dufresne
Price: CDN$ 23.77
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.02

4.0 out of 5 stars No Regrets, Coyote, Sept. 13 2013
This novel had a familiar feel to it. I haven't read (almost sure) any of John Dufresne other works. Maybe it was the plot or Dufresne's style of writing. I will say that I had mixed feelings about the book, more like confusion,at points. I liked the book. But there were times I felt like I had missed something along the way. There are a lot of characters but the plot is fairly simple. The main guy, Wylie (Coyote) Melville, divorced, lives alone, a therapist, and comes from a slightly dysfunctional family. Coyote has a knack for observing what others might miss and a keen sense of intuition. These talents are the reason that he is called to consult at a crime scene. A family has been murdered. This isn't one of those fast paced types that whisk a reader along. This book requires the reader's own attention to detail. There is some action here and there but I guess you would call this a literary mystery. A detailed, sometimes funny book with characters that most of us can relate to. The confusing bits aside, I enjoyed the book. It made me smile and what more can you ask.

Poppet
Poppet
by Mo Hayder
Price: CDN$ 22.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 9.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Poppet, Aug. 30 2013
This review is from: Poppet (Paperback)
Poppet in the British language is usually a term of endearment. It can also mean, small dolls,usually made with bits and bobs of things found in nature, used in different types of magic rituals or ceremonies. In Mo Hayder's novel they are ugly little things with a sinister purpose. But when it comes to sinister Mo is one of the best. In the beginning of this novel you have two story lines. First, you have AJ LeGrande, a typical nice guy, working at the local psychiatric hospital. Always trying to do the right thing for his patients. One of his patients is Isaac and Isaac likes to make poppets. Then you have DI Jack Caffery. Jack is a recurring character in many of Hayder's novels. Here, he is dealing with a cold case that has personal overtones. Readers that aren't familiar with Hadyer might find the two stories disjointed,or maybe you think you missed something. But hang in there, things are explained as the two lines come together. The writing and pacing of her plot is spot on. Poppet is an enjoyable read. While I have always enjoyed Hayder's novels and her sense of creepy, I found this one a bit predictable. That sort of ruined the creepy for me, and I can't be the only one that thinks this business,between Jack and Flea,(professionally and personally) is starting to wear little thin.

The Broken Ones
The Broken Ones
by Stephen M. Irwin
Price: CDN$ 15.51
25 used & new from CDN$ 8.12

4.0 out of 5 stars The Broken Ones, Aug. 24 2013
This review is from: The Broken Ones (Paperback)
This book was crazy but a good crazy. The prologue, whether you love them or hate them, gives a little background. Something has happened to the world,on a day known as Gray Wednesday,the earth's poles switch. I won't go into all that happens with this 180 degree switch but it results in chaos. Planes fall from the sky and most of the world's civilization falls into economic despair. The novel starts out with the sentence`not many years from now'. Here we pick up with the main character Oscar Mariani. Did I forget to mention that every person in the world now has their own personal ghost,that only they can see. That in itself causes all-sorts of problems for this shaky society. For example, Oscar heads the police department's Nine-Ten Investigation Unit. They take care of the ghost related crimes,don't usually see a department like that in a straight police procedural novel. The author reminds you that the world is not the one we know. The world of this story is slowly collapsing in on itself from the lack of resources. You just start to get the hang of things, ghosts, the lack of things we take for grant and then the crazy starts. Oscar is investigating the murder of a young girl,a crime that nobody wants solved. Enter something akin to what you would find in a H.P.Lovecraft novel. Ancient deity,sacrifices,nasty people,and so on. I liked this novel,it's certainly different than the usual zombie,apocalypse fare.If you decide to read this, just keep an open mind, overlook a few bumps for the sake of the story. I thought it was a fun read, something for everybody.

Visitation Street
Visitation Street
by Ivy Pochoda
Price: CDN$ 16.60
5 used & new from CDN$ 0.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Visitation Street, Aug. 24 2013
This review is from: Visitation Street (Paperback)
This one was a bit of a disappointment. The story starts when two teenage girls,Val and June, decide to set out in a raft. While following the shore line in their raft,something happens. Val,returns from the river,June doesn't. This one event begins the story,the characters and their actions form the rest. Sort of a chain reaction.The characters start out with little depth.They don't evolve much. Unless you count teenage angst,teenage love,teenage self doubt,and narcissism at a level that only a teenage girl can achieve. The form and technique are present in the writing,but I felt there was little follow-through. It is just more of the same,the author was trying for a girl's version of a `coming of age' novel. By the time you are about half-way through it really starts to wear thin.I will say the author had a pretty good handle on the teenage girl mind set.There are other characters,an alcoholic music teacher,the owner of the neighborhood bodega and of course,a boy.The story-line is pretty straight forward, nothing to surprise or, amaze.I realize this type of novel is subjective,maybe it depends on your own childhood. While I can't say it was the best book I have read lately,it might make a good beach novel.

Heaven's War
Heaven's War
by David S. Goyer
Price: CDN$ 9.50
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Heaven'a War, Aug. 17 2013
This review is from: Heaven's War (Paperback)
In Heaven's War you have most of the same characters we first met in Heaven's Shadow. I enjoyed that novel. So I bought the second book. In the first book,we have two earth space vehicles on course to intercept a near earth object (Keanu). What was thought to be just a chunk of rock is really an alien craft. Anyway in this book "Heaven's War" the humans of the space crafts find themselves trying to make some sense of their new home when they are joined by a few hundred more humans that Keanu has scooped up from earth. As it happens,this group consists mostly of the earth based support crew,along with a few loved ones and a dog.To make matters more complicated they discover that the aliens have done this before and that they have company. Alien company,hostile at the best of times and at other times fatal. Here,the details of the different habitats and the aliens living in them are sketchy.Some of it I had to jump over,simply because I had no frame of reference and I found the details given were confusing. The books are well written and the authors were thoughtful enough to provide the reader an illustration of Keanu and it's various habitats and a list of the humans. That helps to some degree. What the head aliens aka the "Architects" want or need from the humans is still not completely known but since the ship seems to be heading back to their home, the humans are faced with even more trials. The next book, "Heaven's Fall's" is the third book in the series,so maybe,all will be explained. For the most part I enjoyed both novels and I am looking forward to reading the third one.

The Romanov Conspiracy: A Thriller
The Romanov Conspiracy: A Thriller
by Glenn Meade
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.02

3.0 out of 5 stars The Romanov Conspiracy, Aug. 14 2013
When I bought "The Romanov Conspiracy" I thought I was getting something along the lines of Dan Brown meets Indiana Jones.You know the kind,good guys,bad guys,priceless artifact and things going boom.If I had read the product description close enough I might have realized that it wasn't that type of novel. Except for a chapter or two at the first and a bit at the end,the plot is set in 1918 and the final days of the Romanov family. Of course I knew what I had read in middle school and the bits and pieces since then.But this tale is mostly a love story. It is a well crafted story,a nice blend of historical fact and fiction. I kept busy trying to sort out fact from fiction.The tale spins around Princess Anastasia,the youngest of the Romanov daughters.This story endorses the theory that Anastasia escaped with her life on July 17,1918. She goes into exile with the help of,depending on who tells the story, White Russians,English secret service,the Americans,the Irish or sympathetic guards,loyal household staff etc. There were too many characters for me,while I understand the need,I couldn't remember who worked for who. You have the Red Rebels, the White supporters, Irish spies, English government agents and American agents and a shadowy Brotherhood.There are a lot of opinions, movies and books out on this subject. One thing everybody agrees on is that the Romanov family,some or all, were brutally butchered. There are many strands in this novel and Meade makes a fine effort but what is true and what is not, is up to bigger minds than mine.

Dream with Little Angels
Dream with Little Angels
by Michael Hiebert
Price: CDN$ 16.95
56 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Dream With Little Angels, Aug. 13 2013
A good book and an enjoyable read. What it lacked in plot it made up for in the characters. Or,maybe I should say one character. Abe Teal is a precocious 11 year old boy living in Alvin,Alabama.The story revolves around him,and his views on life,death and grown-ups. He has an opinion on everything from racism to roadkill. The story starts out with the disappearance of a 14 year old girl,eerily similar to the disappearance of another girl,12 years previously. Abe's mom is a cop,and a single parent.She is stressed out by a rebellious daughter and what she sees as her failure to find the missing girls. The plot was thin but this isn't a plot driven novel. If you are looking for a crazed psycho killer novel,this might not fit the bill. This is more like Huckleberry Finn meets Opie from Mayberry. This story is Abe Teal all the way.The crime is really just the background and the stage belongs to Abe and his friend Dewey.These two are priceless,and I chose to overlook the holes in the plot rather than fuss about them.I also chose to overlook the symbolism,the coming of age stereotype and the discussion questions in the back of the book.I just enjoyed the story and went with the flow.

Let It Burn: An Alex McKnight Novel
Let It Burn: An Alex McKnight Novel
by Steve Hamilton
Price: CDN$ 18.80
33 used & new from CDN$ 2.84

3.0 out of 5 stars Let It Burn, Aug. 10 2013
"Let It Burn"isn't the best Alex McKnight novel I have read. Actually I was a bit disappointed in the story.The story started out with Alex getting a courtesy call from his old police Sergeant. One of Alex's old collars is getting out. A man convicted of killing a woman back in the 70`s. Will this guy come looking for revenge. His memory is sketchy,Alex lost his partner around the same time. But his mind is uneasy,so he travels to Detroit,to look up old friends and new. The plot goes from present day, to the past and back to the present again. Maybe it would have been nice for Hamilton to give the chapters a heading, like "Past" and "Present" or something along those lines. (A small annoyance not a big thing.) As always Hamilton has an easy flowing style that makes reading his work a pleasure, but this one missed the mark for me. The story itself wasn't fleshed out,not like his other novels. I found this plot thin with none of the rich detail I have come to expect from this author. As fans of Alex,we learn more about the life he had before Paradise,but if this had been my first Alex Mcknight novel,I wouldn't be in a hurry to read another one.

The Highway
The Highway
by C. J. Box
Price: CDN$ 21.65
48 used & new from CDN$ 0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars The Highway, Aug. 1 2013
This review is from: The Highway (Hardcover)
This was my first C.J. Box novel, I have seen his books but never got around to reading one.I wasn't sure what to expect with "The Highway".I read the book description and it sounded promising. My foremost thought was not to waste my money.I am not a person easily influenced and I have read more than my fair share of serial killer versus cop novels,but this one gave me the creeps.This is one creepy character. He calls himself the Lizard King.And as the title suggests the plot surrounds a highway.An ordinary highway, the same as you would use going to work,or taking a trip. This creep uses it as a `super highway meat market'. Look over the selection and make your choice. It took less than 2 days for me to finish.The plot was well paced and the author gives you no time to get bored. Although I haven't read any of his other novels and can't comment on his style,I thought this one was well written. Everything moved quickly including me turning the pages.I have no complaints with this novel, great read.I got my money's worth with this novel.

The Devil And The River
The Devil And The River
by R.J. Ellory
11 used & new from CDN$ 13.80

4.0 out of 5 stars The Devil And The River, July 30 2013
The Devil and The River isn't just another story with another killer facing off against another lawman. Ellory writes with one eye on the story and the other on his characters. He reminds me of James Lee Burke and his Sheriff Hackberry Holland character. In a sense the lives of his characters and their development are the story. How life has shaped them,motivated or corrupted them.In this novel you have John Gaines, sheriff of a small town in Mississippi. It's 1974,Gaines a veteran of the Vietnam war,home to care for an ill mother and try to mend his life. In a way this story revolves around war.What it can do to a person's soul as well as the body.There is a killer and a crime,old secrets and lost love, but mainly the reader deals with emotions,actions and the consequences. The story doesn't move at a fast pace but Ellory writes with an easy rhythm. Might not be the best choice for a quick beach read but if you are a Burke fan,then this might be something for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11