Profile for Steve Miles > Reviews

Content by Steve Miles

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Steve Miles

Substitute 2: School's Out (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Substitute 2: School's Out (Widescreen/Full Screen)
DVD ~ Treat Williams
Offered by vidco
Price: CDN$ 12.62
10 used & new from CDN$ 1.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of the substitute sequels - worth seeing, June 27 2001
As a big fan of The Substitute I was surprised that I hadn't seen the three sequels to the movie - so I watched one each day for three days. All three are worthwhile entertainment, much better than most of the "B" movies out there (I rent so many B movies that turn out to be unwatchable). However, this first sequel is the best. Treat Williams is a good replacement for Tom Berenger. He has that almost-too-old-but-still-can-kick-butt feel like Berenger. The reason this movie works better than the other two sequels is that it actually takes place in a high school and kind of mimics the first movie with the gangs, etc.. I love these movies because in every one the Substitute beats up some kid in the classroom to prove a point. There's good action like the first movie, I love it when the Substitute is going to get shot in a drive-by and actually runs to the car, does a flip, and breaks the guy's arm which is sticking out of the window! There are no suprises, as usual there is always a teacher/administrator that is "in" with the thugs who are terrorizing the school and the substitute. And everyone gets their due in the end.

Substitute/Substitute 3: Winner Takes All (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Substitute/Substitute 3: Winner Takes All (Widescreen/Full Screen)
DVD ~ Tom Berenger
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 28.95
7 used & new from CDN$ 28.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as the second sequel, June 27 2001
I'd like to give this 3 1/2 stars because it's better than Substitute 4 but not the first sequel. The first movie is great by the way. Anyhow, this second sequel is one of the more far fetched sequels. First, there wouldn't be kids in college that act that way - it's more like a high school. Kids throwing things around the room, etc..(this just struck me as funny)
This movie has more gratuitous nudity scenes: The wet t-shirt contest, then a threesome by one of the bad guys in a warehouse! That was funny. The fight scenes in this movie are really good, though. The beginning fight was good, the pizza place battle was good, the classroom fight was funny, and the end battle was good too. The movie did take a turn in the middle, where the football team took a backburner to the drug dealers - but that was OK. If you like the second movie you'll like this one.

Substitute 4: Failure Is Not an Option (Widescreen)
Substitute 4: Failure Is Not an Option (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Treat Williams
Offered by vidco
Price: CDN$ 10.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Watchable, but not the best installment of the series, June 27 2001
While it's not a bad movie, The Substitute 4 is the worst of the 4 Substitute movies. One of the main reasons is the film quality. The first 3 movies seemed to have better "look" to them and seemed like they could have been shown in a theater. This one looks more like a straight to video release. Some parts of the movie are slow, but it still has enough action to keep you interested.
Treat Williams is good as usual. Angie Everhart is OK - but I don't know why she was there, and some of the bad guys are pretty bad actors. The fight scenes are ok - even if they are a little predictable. A "special effect" explosion at a dam is pretty funny looking. There's some decent nudity, the classroom fight scene is funny, and a kid falling on some spike at the dam was cool too. The final battle with the bad guy was cheesy - and like the other reviewer said - why would a racist have a asian henchman?! The twist with Everhart is a little unexplainable as well.

Hannibal
Hannibal
by Thomas Harris
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 10.79
175 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Easily the must-read of 2000, June 16 2000
This review is from: Hannibal (Mass Market Paperback)
I went into this book expecting it to be horrible after reading all the bad reviews here. I was completely surprised that I was entirely entertained with this page-turner.
I haven't read any other Harris, but have seen the Lambs movie (of course!). This book stays pretty true to the characters - especially Hannibal. I actually enjoyed that the book is sort of a showdown between Lecter and Verger with less emphasis on Starling.
I enjoyed: Interesting writing style, great characterization, brought us back to all the previous locations and characters of the past - plus new places like Italy and Verger's abode, great twist at the end (entirely believable to me compared to what others are saying here), a great book overall.
I disliked: To much detail when it came to describing Italy and art, unbelievable characters in a part where Lecter is in a plane and a child asks to eat his "liverwurst"!, the beginning adventure really doesn't tie into anything except for creating a conflict between the FBI and Starling - there could have been a better way.
Final thought, I thought it was great, and read the last 100 pages straight through till the final "dinner" with Starlings boss! Will make an AWESOME movie if done right.

Fight Club: A Novel
Fight Club: A Novel
by Chuck Palahniuk
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great quick read with interesting characters, May 19 2000
This review is from: Fight Club: A Novel (Paperback)
I loved "Fight Club" the movie, so I decided to pick this book up. Since the book was written way before the movie - I suspected that things would be different from the movie. Was I wrong! It was like reading an alternative director's cut in the movie where most things were the same, but things were shifted around a little. Palahniuk's writing style is pure MTV - but it works here. Plus, the book has a few more mischief and mayhem examples that the anarchist would find intriguing. I highly recommend this book.

Fight Club (2-Disc Collector's Edition)
Fight Club (2-Disc Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 67.17
39 used & new from CDN$ 4.28

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the BEST movie of 1999!, May 19 2000
This movie is by far the best 1999 had to offer. No scene is wasted - every shot is perfect and meaningful to the story. The amount of violence is much less than what was portrayed in the media and what is there is essential to the storyline. I must admit that this IS a guy's movie - it may be THE guy's movie. I have the VHS and can't wait for the DVD. David Fincher rocks as "Seven" and "The Game" are almost as intriguing - but this is his masterpiece. Great acting, great screenplay, great concept, great musical score, and a haunting movie that will be remembered long after you see it.

Nightmare on Elm Street (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Nightmare on Elm Street (Widescreen/Full Screen)
DVD ~ Heather Langenkamp
Offered by SURPLUSDVD NEW YORK
Price: CDN$ 36.16
15 used & new from CDN$ 0.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic horror film from the 1980's, Jan. 30 2000
Nightmare on Elm Street was probably one of the first horror films I ever watched and one of the most memorable. Of course, some of the sequels are entertaining, but like most horror franchises - the first is the best.
The DVD version contains an ongoing documentary by the main female character, the actor who played her dad, and Wes Craven. I love commentaries on the new dvd releases and once again enjoyed hearing a lot of the behind the scenes stories about the making of the movie. The other extras on the DVD are OK - the movie script and trailer. I also like that you could watch the widescreen or regular versions.
This version is "digitally remastered" which makes for a definite improvement from the old VHS version, but the film still has that "80's horror flick" look.
All in all, an entertaining film and DVD worth the money.

Bag of Bones
Bag of Bones
by Stephen King
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
145 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Stephen King, you'll like this book., Jan. 21 2000
Having been an avid King reader for years...the past four or so years I've been less interested in his books. I don't know if it's his turn in writing - or it's me. But I started reading "Bag of Bones" and it was pretty intriguing. Strung me along and even scared me a little, sort of like "The Dark Half", "Secret Window, Secret Garden" (in four past midnight), and for some reason I got the same feelings during the reading of "Needful Things". If you liked those stories - you'll definitely like this one. I enjoy his commentary on other writers, the way he describes the sexuality in the book, and of course, the spine tingling scary moments. Good Read.

Candyman 3: Day of the Dead (Widescreen) [Import]
Candyman 3: Day of the Dead (Widescreen) [Import]
DVD ~ Tony Todd
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 9.84
18 used & new from CDN$ 6.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Typical sequel fare - nothing original, Dec 22 1999
As an avid horror fan I LOVED Candyman, LIKED Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh, but I have to say that I didn't really like Candyman 3. The acting was pretty bad - even the Candyman himself was not that intimidating or scary. Of course, the Baywatch beauties are an eye-feast but when it comes to intriguing characters no way - I could have cared less about what was happening to them. Watch out for tired, rehashed special effects. What's with the pasted on bees! My advice is to go rent the original Candman again and enjoy the movie.