Profile for Marion E. Hudson > Reviews

Content by Marion E. Hudson

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Marion E. Hudson (Westfield, NC United States)

Enemy Women : A Novel
Enemy Women : A Novel
by Paulette Jiles
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Luke warm, Aug. 27 2002
This review is from: Enemy Women : A Novel (Hardcover)
After reading the first few chapters I phoned a friend and asked, "Why did you think I would like this book?" Although the writing, especially the description, was excellent, I thought about quitting the book several times. It was very slow to start. It took awhile to figure out who the main characters were. I would have liked to have seen more character development. Toward the middle of the book I began to skip the chapter openings from real diaries and logs of that time period because they got too gory and depressing and made reading even slower. I just wanted to get to what Adair was doing and get on with it. I had gotten the picture already--it was a bad war and people were suffering. I didn't need so many details of those types. Lack of quote marks was sometimes confusing, but didn't bother me too much, and it did de-clutter the pages. One last thing--if you have to describe gore, please leave out the gore that happens to animals, especially in war. Just go to the local animal shelter and you can see all of this you want.