ARRAY(0xb046ea80)

Profile for Joseph Adams > Reviews

Content by Joseph Adams

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Joseph Adams "brother" (Superior, WI USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Unholy Roller
Unholy Roller
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 64.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 30.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes Boring, Dec 19 2003
This review is from: Unholy Roller (Audio CD)
This is by far the worst Electric Hellfire Club album. It isn't really an album, but a collection of remixes. Shout at the Devil is good and so is the earlier dated song about Bob Larson I can't remember off hand. The problem is, MORE songs should've gotten remixed. One song gets remixed like 4 times. I don't like remixes that much anyway. I just got this to complete my collection. The only reason this album gets more than 2 stars is for the song Unholy Roller, but even that is unintentionally funny as hell. 3 stars for entertainment value alone.

Ziggy Stardust-30th Anniv
Ziggy Stardust-30th Anniv
Offered by Music House Canada
Price: CDN$ 99.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 39.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Better Than Ever, Dec 18 2003
Thisc 30th anniversary edition is the best Ziggy has ever sounded. From the second the drum beats of Five Years came on, I knew I was not ripped off on the steeply priced double disc. I had the 1999 reissue and got rid of it for some measly cash. I also had to purchase the early Bowie collection to get the extra tracks. The alien persona adopted by the White Duke was a metaphor for the alienation Bowie felt because he was famous. Ziggy Stardust is an illegal drug. Yes, David turned to drugs like so many famous rockers. The music is great and timeless. The key tracks are: Five Years, Ziggy Stardust, Suffragate City and Rock and Roll Suicide. The bonus disc features the brilliant Velvet Goldmine, one of my all time favorite Bowie songs. Ziggy is the dark lord of rock and roll. This androgynous alien persona was ripped off blatently by new age rock god Marilyn Manson on Mechanical Animals. He ripped off everything: paint red hair, mismatch contact lenses, and the gothic glam sound. Let's not forget his outfits, which were an even bigger ripoff of David Bowie. Go figure Manson lost tons of his original fans with Mechanical Animals.

Hp Lovecraft: Unnmaeable [Import]
Hp Lovecraft: Unnmaeable [Import]
VHS
2 used & new from CDN$ 71.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Monster Lovecraft Adaption, Nov. 30 2003
This is one of my favorite Lovecraft adaptions of all time and I have all of them. A sorcerer turns his daughter into a hideous monster 300 years ago. In the present (er...80s) a group of college kids investigate the legend by going into the house of The Unnamable. Can the kids survive? Boobs, hot chicks, gore galore, a hideous monster and the Necronomicon make this a flick you will never forget. Though obviously not at the level of Reanimator or From Beyond, this is a worthwhile purchase for Lovecraft devotees.

Sweet House of Horrors [Import]
Sweet House of Horrors [Import]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fulci is the Godfather of Gore, Nov. 27 2003
A family is brutally murdered by a masked man with the kids watching. The kids get new parents and remain in the house. the house gets haunted. Can the family escape, or will the ghosts of the past catch up with them? Who is the killer? This my favorite of Fulci's lesser known films. I have almost every Fulci horror (not into his other stuff) ever made. I reckon this is mocking the wholesomeness of families. Why is it my favorite? One of my favorite genre actors appear, I won't spoil who. The gore is excellent and realistic because it's not abused. I love when the killer bashes the parent's brains in. If I would recommend just one of Fulci's later day efforts, it would be sweet house of horrors.

Kabbalah of the Golden Dawn
Kabbalah of the Golden Dawn
by Pat Zalewski
18 used & new from CDN$ 14.06

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Kabbalah, Nov. 11 2003
Before I read this book I was a BIG TIME junkie and alcoholic. It changed me. This, and any other Kabbalah, has healing powers. I was such a junkie I would go to class high on drugs. I would get high by myself and consider it a good time. I would steal grams of weed from my friends. I was horrible. This book made me realize that the arcane was my true passion, not drugs and alcohol. I no longer have the urge to get plastered every weekend and sometimes during the weekdays.

The Road to Madness
The Road to Madness
by H.P. Lovecraft
Price: CDN$ 12.27
54 used & new from CDN$ 2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovecraft is the Greatest Gothic Writer of All Time, Nov. 9 2003
This review is from: The Road to Madness (Paperback)
Here you have it! The lot of the H.P. Lovecraft stories that were later adapted into horror films. As such, it is the most interesting of the series of 3 books by Del Ray. The movies were liberal adaptions, as the stories were short and left most to the imagination. This book in particular is key to horror fans; no collector or afficienado should be without this. You will be a lot better person after reading this than before. Sit back and enjoy.

Dagon (Widescreen) [Import]
Dagon (Widescreen) [Import]
DVD ~ Ezra Godden
Price: CDN$ 16.71
17 used & new from CDN$ 6.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, Nov. 9 2003
This review is from: Dagon (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
This is easily one of the best H.P. Lovecraft adaptions. Surprise, surprise! What's the surprise?! Stuart Gordon has directed all the best 3 of them: Re-animator, From Beyond and now Dagon. The opening sequence on a boat is reminiscent of the short story Dagon which it is based. It may in fact be 100% accurate. Then it goes further, which all good Lovecraft adaptions do. The stories are so short 90% of the time that they do throw in all or most of it, but they jazz it up with gore and nudity and other stuff to make it a feature film. Here what they did is use the short story as the opening scene, and then developed a grandiose plot with special effects that is about a race of fish-men and women who worship a terrifying sea monster known as Dagon. As with any good Lovecraft adaption, the lead is a Miskatonic Univeristy student. He is on a boat with friends and problems arise where he and only 1 of the 3 others make it to shore. There they are purued by the fish-men, which leads to a really cool scene and set piece which involves a church devoted to the worship of Dagon. It called "Esotic Order De Dagon." They meet up with a drunken bum, who tells of his childhood dealings with the creatures. He ends up getting his face torn off by the creatures. It took me quite a few viewings to truly appreciate this masterpiece. When I did I sat down and had a few beers to the point of mild intoxication. My only would-be criticism is this is a sort of Lovecraft retread- nudity, gore galore, a hideous monster, Miskatonic University students, Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna. However, these are what makes the Lovecraft adaptions so good. A by-the-numbers classic that is getting a growing reputation as a good horror film, and one of the best Lovecraft adaptions of all time. I would also like to recommend Stuart Gordon's Castle Freak on DVD.

Kiss the Goat
Kiss the Goat
Price: CDN$ 11.91
5 used & new from CDN$ 11.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, Nov. 3 2003
This review is from: Kiss the Goat (Audio CD)
This cool disc is the apex of the first stage of Hellfires' career. Invitation to Your Damnation makes their message loud and clear- they don't mess around, it's fun, and genuinely Satanic. Hellfire is the band's calling card- there is no song in the band's back catologue that has such a fitting title. In the Temple of Flesh is hardcore. Slaughter of Elysium is ultra violent, one of my favs- "To the Xtians the Lions!" Incubus is the evergreen track. Evil Genius is yet another hardcore sex song. Love is the Law rivals Mr. Crowley and Misery Machine as the best Crowley tribute ever. Bitchcraft is a fun Sabrina song. The title track is disturbing. Ever industrial kid needs this album. (they're afraid of Satan) Up the horns!

Burn Baby Burn
Burn Baby Burn
Price: CDN$ 26.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 21.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Satanic Fun, Nov. 3 2003
This review is from: Burn Baby Burn (Audio CD)
This metal has an important place in black metal history because of the cover artwork depicting a burnt down church at the height of the Norwegian/American church torching epidemic. They have a diverse fan base, including but not limited to: goth, raver, metal and glam. The songs are fun and really evil. Invocation/Age of Fire and Psychedelic Sacrifice are masterpieces. However, the rest of the disc lacks the inspiration of the said 3 pieces, and is boring. Nevertheless, this is an important album.

Satan's Little Helpers
Satan's Little Helpers
Price: CDN$ 18.95
3 used & new from CDN$ 13.95

4.0 out of 5 stars My First Hellfire Experience, Nov. 3 2003
This review is from: Satan's Little Helpers (Audio CD)
That was my first Hellfire album, and it impressed me to the point where I've now been a fan for years, own all their albums and have their shirts. The new songs, Satans Little Helpers (hilarious Rolling Stones ripoff) and Baptized in Blood are the masterpieces. Psychedelic Sacrifice shows an interpretation of the classic song that retains loyalty to its source while adding Sabrina's under-rated vocals. One of the best stop-gap releases I own in a collection of 200 Satanic albums. Electric Hellfire are the kings of industrial.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5