Profile for Geraldo Franco > Reviews

Content by Geraldo Franco

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Geraldo Franco (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)

V6 Str Qrts
V6 Str Qrts
Offered by marvelio-ca
Price: CDN$ 18.77
7 used & new from CDN$ 18.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Why am I biased by Villa-Lobos music . . ., Aug. 10 2001
This review is from: V6 Str Qrts (Audio CD)
. . . it is mostly because his music is strongly masculine, starting by the instruments he chooses: cello, viola, guitar. His most favorites, albeit not the only ones, and then continuing in his posture and poise, as it shows so clearly in this recording. But mind you, maleness does not refrain or reduces his popular sophisticated style. On the contrary, enhances it. That is how and why I am biased. In this disc we have a clear sample of what I am talking about. Masculinity and finesse, spirit/soul and foot-on-the-earth as we refer to over here, drama, histrionics and charisma. This is Villa-Lobos at his best. I hope you agree with me.

Bachianas Brasileiras 1/2/5/9
Bachianas Brasileiras 1/2/5/9
Price: CDN$ 31.84
5 used & new from CDN$ 11.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldie and goodie, Aug. 10 2001
Yes, this is a recording done in the fifties in France with maestro Villa-Lobos directing. At this moment he was virtually unknown in Brazil, except for his organizing in the forties chorales with thousands of school children voices. Yet he was mostly unknown in his homeland. Brazilians have to be famous first abroad to be recognized among their peer countrymen. This is our living paradox. But, how many of us are famous abroad? Some chosen few, I daresay. Villa-Lobos is perhaps the first one to be publicly recognized, by the media as well. His spiritual invocation of the muses, to this day astounds us listeners. His capacity of transfering into sounds his (should I say our) troubled lives, does not cease to amaze me. Villa-Lobos mind is pregnant of birds, street cries, beautiful damsels and ardent lovers. This is Villa-Lobos' villa: that's where he dwells. That's were we Brazilians live at, poorly but in peace with mankind. Join us, folks. At least, try top grasp our music. I beg you! For your own sake!

Fuego Fatuo
Fuego Fatuo
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 17.92
7 used & new from CDN$ 17.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Manuel de Falla's Last Musical Sigh, July 23 2001
This review is from: Fuego Fatuo (Audio CD)
De Falla's last musical sigh, the Suite Atlantida, was composed in Argentina, where the composer died in 1946. Born in the Andalucian port town of Cadiz, he was the creator of, among other marvelous music, the notoriously Spanish, Nights in the Gardens of Spain and La vida Breve. The Spanish Radio Orchestra and Choir has been very lucky of having such individuals writing their scores. With such positive factor at their side it is only natural that they reproduce these songs so beautiful and competently. On the other hand, to us, this disc is worth buying since it is not only a masterpiece as it is a historical landmark. Enjoy it.

Hi-Fi a La Espanola & Popovers
Hi-Fi a La Espanola & Popovers
Price: CDN$ 38.92
4 used & new from CDN$ 38.43

5.0 out of 5 stars I have just earned my 50US gift certificate..., July 23 2001
...by writing this review. And the first thing I will do to it is purchase another copy of this recording! Spanish-american songs have followed me from infancy and will continue following me to old age. At home we listened then (50yrs ago, mind you) to the numerous songs of its cancionero, either Mexican, Cuban, Colombian, Argentinian and last but not least Brazilian and Luso-Brazilian. These tunes are to my mind the same that arroz com feijão (else moros y cristianos) are to my stomach. Their digestion is smooth and gloriously nourishing: feeds the spirit, the immagination, the soul. Try this new meal and let me know. I grant you the proteins and carbo-hydrates without excess weight...

Instruments of Classical Music 1-10
Instruments of Classical Music 1-10
Price: CDN$ 92.78
7 used & new from CDN$ 58.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, just outstanding..., July 16 2001
This is an outstanding collection of marvelous pieces and songs, from A of Aranjuez to Z of Zapateado... all absolutely well chosen and selected. Congratulations to those who will purchase it. A great buy.

Butterfly Dreams
Butterfly Dreams
Offered by USA CD SELLER
Price: CDN$ 39.45
8 used & new from CDN$ 11.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Hummingbirds Over Flora, June 12 2001
This review is from: Butterfly Dreams (Audio CD)
Flora has been gone from my life many, many years. Now she is back with a pristine performance of Dindi, the best I ever heard in 40yrs of bossa novism I carry so far... Flora is no butterfly, she is a hummingbird. GF

Brazilian Portrait
Brazilian Portrait
Price: CDN$ 10.14
26 used & new from CDN$ 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonfa and Jobim: what a double header!, June 6 2001
This review is from: Brazilian Portrait (Audio CD)
I met the two of them in the past. I saw their shows and I bought their recordings. They never disappointed me, on the contrary: I always was amazed by their style and classy quality of sound. Now they return, together, to make us enjoy life in this way and mode: pleasantness in sound. If this would not suffice, there is a bonus, the performance of Gerald Garcia. Splendiferous! GF

Complete Guitar Music
Complete Guitar Music
Price: CDN$ 10.14
30 used & new from CDN$ 6.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Villa Lobos Guitar Sonority, June 6 2001
This review is from: Complete Guitar Music (Audio CD)
No wonder the genius of classical guitar of Spain asked Villa-Lobos to write pieces for him. The difficulty of his assigment left this performer in a constant amazement. The sonority of his chords, the constancy of his sequency, the move to and from exquisite sonority of phrases into silent assonance and dissonance. He was Andrés Segovia and this was the fifties. Now we find this soul brother to the Spanish master, Norbert Kraft, repeating, if not improving his forebears: great! We need more of this in our everyday life, this energy that propels us to the space. Welcome Kraft, welcome encore, Villa-Lobos. GF (still write it here for lack of adequate locale)