Profile for S.T.Waller > Reviews

Content by S.T.Waller

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

S.T.Waller

Page: 1 | 2
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
by Lorna Landvik
Price: CDN$ 13.68
140 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you loved . . ., March 6 2005
A very enjoyable read and we should all have friends like this that span the ages...I could see my mother and her friends in these women and I can only hope that will be me...A heartwarming tale and a very interesting presentation...I have shared my copy with several people...it was a big hit at our book club as well! We all enjoyed it! If you have to pick two books to read, make one of them ANGRY HOUSEWIVES and the other THE CHILDREN'S CORNER by McCrae. You can't go wrong with either.

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe
by Fannie Flagg
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
91 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Flagg this one for reading, March 6 2005
Southern writers just seem to do it for me. I don't know why, but they're the best, hitting the nail on the head almost all the time. Think of Lee with her "To Kill a Mockingbird," or McCrae with his "Children's Corner," harrowing, shocking, funny, and above all, well-written. Enter FGT by Flagg. Possibly THE southern book. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle stop cafe is a wonderful story. I would have to say even better than the movie. The story takes place in two different times. The 1920's and the 1980's. This book shows characteristics of personality that has grown cold to the American culture. Such as true love and devotion, Loyal friendship, and selfless ness.

Prep: A Novel
Prep: A Novel
by Curtis Sittenfeld
67 used & new from CDN$ 0.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Preppy indeed, March 5 2005
This review is from: Prep: A Novel (Hardcover)
Our book club has an eclectic nature, reading everything from self-help (think THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE) to the latest fiction (THE CHILDREN'S CORNER by McCrae). So when they picked PREP, it wasn't really much of a surprise. Curtis Sittenfeld has completely captured the angst of any teenager and especially one in a prep school environment. The book is painful to read at times because it brings you back to that time but you cant put it down. The book is also extremely funny and well-written. I am only sad that it had to end. I am looking forward to reading more from Curtis Sittenfeld-she has a real gift!!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
by Mark Haddon
Price: CDN$ 14.40
102 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY new and different, March 5 2005
Lately there seems to be a rash of books either dealing with dog themes or autism or some tangent thereof. THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD (the paperback version) comes to mind with its "dog" theme and proverbial precocious child who has either Asperger's syndrome or some aspect of Autism. At least that one's now out in paperback so you don't have to cart the hardcover around. And now we have THE CURIOUS INCIDENT, again with dog and autism. But CURIOUS INCIDENT is a wonderful story about a young man, Christopher, who happens to be autistic and his adventures of solving the mystery of a neighbor's murdered dog, writing this story, and living life. It is a brutally honest view of his family and "friends" and how he sees them. Christopher shows no emotion, cannot stand to be touched, and sees the world from a very logical stand point. It is interesting reading how he reasons through everyday events. It is funny and sad at the same time. Christopher is pure and innocent...and it is amazing looking at the world through his eyes (or words). Haddon did a magnificent job writing this story. I can't wait for his next story. He is a wonderful...wonderful author.

The Kite Runner
The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini
Edition: Audio CD
Price: CDN$ 22.67
13 used & new from CDN$ 2.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Running for your life, March 5 2005
This review is from: The Kite Runner (Audio CD)
I thought THE KITE RUNNER was an excellent read. I finished the book in 1.5 days. The only other book I've done that to was THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD (finally, in paperback, thank goodness). I recently was in Afghanistan through work for 6 months, and I loved how Khaled used real locations and described the people of Afghanistan. I found myself being able to relate to parts of the book, and this brought about a feeling of reassurance. I lived in the Wazir Akbar Khan district, and thinking back on my time there I found myself daydreaming of how it must have been 25+ years ago. I saw Afghanistan post-Taliban in 2004, but this book really helped me understand the history of Afghanistan and what it must have been like many days in history. This is the book I was looking for before my travel to Kabul. I found the book a little late, but better late than never. Khaled's writing style is very real, striking and filled with emotion, which is just what I needed to be reading.

The Plot Against America: A Novel
The Plot Against America: A Novel
by Philip Roth
Price: CDN$ 25.56
100 used & new from CDN$ 0.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good story by one of America's great writers, March 3 2005
As a long-time lover of Philip Roth's books, I was a little surprised to find he'd written a book of political allegory. That's because there's a passage in I MARRIED A COMMUNIST that discusses and crystallizes in my mind the idea that art and politics are in opposition. So I bought the book and read it to find out what the deal was and though I enjoyed it, I do not think it is Roth's best. As for the politic overhang and how it relates to modern events, I take Roth at face value that this book is not a commentary on the Bush administration. I was up in the air on this point up until the end when Roth just makes the entire Lindbergh mess disappear with an off- handed, bizarre, Weekly World News like plotline. It's impossible to read the mind of the artist, but maybe he did this because he realized at the end that this book was less about what happens to a country when its plunged into chaos and more about what happens to people and families, the characters in a book, when they face their own personal chaos. That's where the heart of the book is, in the characters. I think the author knew that. Most of the political threads end in an off-handed way. Sandy, with all his Just Folks venom, fades when he discovers girls. Aunt Evelyn and the Rabbi leave when Mr. Roth makes them and though the Rabbi makes a play for revenge, he doesn't follow through. This goes on, from Alvin to Walter Winchell to Philip's uncle to the friend who leaves for Canada and on. The political conflicts are dropped one by one with minimal explanation or enlightenment. At the end, Roth saves enlightenment for the characters, mostly Philip, his mother and Seldon. Philip's mother becomes the hero. The focus is not on what has happened politically, but on how an ordinary woman trying to live an ordinary life is able to keep fighting through it all. In this way, the Plot Against America is not unlike other recent Roth books, not unlike any good book really. The plot device (in this case Lindbergh) puts the characters into the crucible, but the device fades at the end when it comes time for the characters to rise or fall and bring meaning to what the author has done. That's not to say that present politics don't impact the way we view the world. It does and current opinion does seep into our literature. There is a heightened sense of paranoia in America 2004 and you do sense it in this book. I just don't think it's the point of the book. A book is a long and involved thing. Who knows when Roth started THE PLOT AGAINST AMERICA or when the idea of a Lindbergh presidency first crossed his mind. The completion of the book and its release date are timely. They make you think of the present climate and I'm sure the present climate played a role in the writing, just not as much as some people would argue. All that said, this was a very good book, not great.
Must also recommend THE CHILDREN'S CORNER by Jackson McCrae for another equally great read.

Chesapeake
Chesapeake
by James A. Michener
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
60 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best, March 3 2005
This review is from: Chesapeake (Mass Market Paperback)
Two books I've recently read and love, though they have NOTHING to do with one another and are total opposites, are, CHESEAPEAKE and the short story collection that knocked my socks off titled CHILDREN'S CORNER by Jackson McCrae. I've just put our boat on the Eastern Shore and finally got around to reading the Mitchner (why did I wait so long?). It is a outstanding story about our beginnings presented in story form. The way Michner introduces his characters keeps you involved and interested throughout 900 pages.

The Broker: A Novel
The Broker: A Novel
by John Grisham
Price: CDN$ 25.04
193 used & new from CDN$ 0.04

5.0 out of 5 stars The Broker Review, March 3 2005
This review is from: The Broker: A Novel (Hardcover)
THE BROKER has to be one of John Grisham's greatest achievements. I've read all of Grisham's novels. Some are "great", some are "good" and some are "just okay." This is one of the "great" ones. I couldn't put it down. I'm not going to talk about the story, just suffice it to say that it's splendidly written and it's a page-turner. Oh, and I didn't mind the Italian travelogue aspects at all. Added to the book's charm, I guess. I bought this book at the same time I purchased THE CHILDREN'S CORNER by Jackson McCrae, and have enjoyed them both immensely.

Lucky: A Memoir
Lucky: A Memoir
by Alice Sebold
Price: CDN$ 10.47
160 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky to have found it, March 3 2005
This review is from: Lucky: A Memoir (Paperback)
I was inspired to read Lucky after being dazzled by the author's bestseller, THE LOVELY BONES. I'm glad I did. Alice is a gifted writer. Her keen self-awareness and ability to project her inner voice into written words is breathtaking. Alice has blessed the world by sharing the details of her rape and subsequent journey. I'm tempted to share my favorite parts of the book, but it would probably be a spoiler. Lucky is a harrowing, heart-wrenching book about the worst possible thing that can happen to a woman. Alice Sebold tells the raw story of her rape ordeal and her subsequent struggle for recovery with an honesty and warmth which is compelling. Lucky reads almost like a novel itself at times, with gripping moments of suspense, particularly during the court trial scenes. Also recommended, but not for the faint-of-heart, THE CHILDREN'S CORNER by Jackson McCrae.

Clay Pigeons
Clay Pigeons
DVD ~ Joaquin Phoenix
Price: CDN$ 11.99
23 used & new from CDN$ 4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid movie directing--better acting than most of them, March 2 2005
This review is from: Clay Pigeons (DVD)
Every now and then a movie will be released that will stimulate your brain and awaken your humorous bone which has been supressed by mind-numbing cinema. Forget formula who dunnit, this is a bit quirky with exciting twists and turns. Joaquin Phoenix is wonderful and demands your empathy for the character. What a feat in the modern world for an actor! Vince Vaughn is most charming and who wouldn't trust him?! My hat is off to the actors and the director of this beauty of a film. Thank you.

Page: 1 | 2