Profile for ServantofGod > Reviews

Content by ServantofGod

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

ServantofGod

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Lord, Teach Us to Pray: A New Look at the Lord's Prayer
Lord, Teach Us to Pray: A New Look at the Lord's Prayer
by Arthur Paul Boers
14 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! A must for all who believe in Christ!, June 24 2003
When I was reading this book, I kept on praying to God to forgive my pride and ignorance of overlooking the very deep and wide meaning Christ put into the Lord's Prayer. Now I agree with what Martin Luther said, as quoted by the author, that "I am convinced that when a Christian rightly prays the Lord's Prayer at any time...their praying is more than adequate." and what Dietrich Bonhoeffer said, that "The Lord's Prayer is the quintessence of prayer. A disciple's prayer is founded on and circumscribed by it."
In short, it is a book that no real Christian should miss. Actually, I nearly missed it. Thanks to God, I didnt, because I came across the following on the back cover:-
"Lord, Teach Us to Pray is biblically sound, spiritually rich, and intellectually stimulating. Boers shows the "Our Father" as prayer that is as wide as it is deep: it embraces all humanity's yearnings and touches the inner depths of the human heart. "
- Henri Nouwen

Giant Steps: Small Changes to Make a Big Difference
Giant Steps: Small Changes to Make a Big Difference
by Tony Robbins
Price: CDN$ 12.26
85 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as other "works" of Robbins, June 24 2003
First, I must admit that I am a fan of Tony. I like his books and tapes much. They are very helpful during my trouble times and I am ready to recommend them, particulary the "Get the Edge" and "Personal Power" tapes, to anyone who wants to get motivated and take action. I like Tony' style of presenting things in a logical, rational and friendly manner, elaborating points clearly with great life examples that you can remember and apply them in your life. I particularly like his tapes because he is a great speaker who really can move your heart with his passionate tone and manner (you cant see it but you can feel him moving his arms, for sure).
Back to this book. As it is written in a 365 day diary format with a short passage devoting to independent topics, the bondage between individual passages becomes a little bit weak. I agree with a reviewer that this can be a light and interesting reading on journeys. However, accustomed to taking Tony's works as living guides/tool books, I prefer to rate it a three star relatively to the normal five star of most of other Tony's great works.

Four Steps to Trading Success: Using Everyday Indicators to Achieve Extraordinary Profits
by John F. Clayburg
Price: CDN$ 75.59
20 used & new from CDN$ 17.61

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good TA book that reaches beyond TA, June 23 2003
Unlike most other TA books that only go into details of certain TA tools, the author tried to post the big picture of TA tools as means of creating effective trading strategies that lead to his so called high probability trades. Adopting a step by step approach, he first outlined and explained a number of TA methods, and then reduced these methods to the four steps of trading success he promoted, which are:-
1. Determine the major trend of the day
2. Determine the minor trend of the day
3. Define an exact entry point
4. Determine an exit strategy
In my opinion, this book is really helpful and easy to understand. There is plenty of 1-min graphs elaborating the author’s ideas, primarily for stock day trading. Though the prinicples are quite applicable also for longer term trading, I hope that the author will write another book for those position traders like myself.

How to Make a Million on the Internet
How to Make a Million on the Internet
by Jonathan Maitland
15 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

1.0 out of 5 stars A diary of the author's attempt to earn a million in LSE, June 22 2003
This is by no means a trading book nor investment book. I should have saved my time and money if I knew that the author had written another book "How to Have a No 1 Hit Single: (And What to Do If You Don't)". I later found that the author was a TV broadcaster and just took the advantage of the internet bubble to write something for the mass market.
Anyway, the title and the editorial review in both the front and the back cover is quite misleading. What's worse, it is not interesting nor helpful at all with the lukewarm writing of the author's trading experience. Unless you are a fan of the author, dont put your hard earned money to the test.

If It's Raining in Brazil, Buy Starbucks : The Investor's Guide to Profiting from News and Other Market-Moving Events
by Peter Navarro
18 used & new from CDN$ 1.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good and interesting book for beginners, June 8 2003
I have always been skeptical of trading or investment books with very "marketing" titles. Quite to my surprise, this book really delivers what it's title promised, that it can really be taken as a "guide" to profiting from news and other market-moving events.
In fact, this is a fundamental/macro-economics analysis book with an attractive and practical title. Distinguishing itself from others, it is full of lively and vivid examples that readers can easily put the propositions into practice, with little modification, though the result is not guaranteed in this increasing competitive market. Nevertheless, the if X, buy 1 and if Y, sell 2 approach can really speed up the learning curve of nearly all beginners.
One drawback: Although the author did mention the many "traps" in the market, the tone of these warnings was too light compared to the rosy picture painted by the author himself on the effectiveness of his approach. As I mentioned before, there are more and more traps nowsadays with the increasing employment of derivatives by professional traders. I think that the author should elaborate more on this respect.
Anyway, worth price and the time.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - PlayStation 2
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - PlayStation 2
5 used & new from CDN$ 14.91

5.0 out of 5 stars The best PS2 game up to date, June 7 2003
Since my purchase of a PS2 console a year before, I had played (and not necessarily completed, coz I couldnt beat some of the last bosses and I gave up) many action RPG games like, BioHazard Code V, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill 2, GT3, Onimusa 2, Grand Theft Auto, Hitman 2, Splinter Cell, Enter the Matrix blah blah blah. However, MGS2 is by far the best and the most unforgettable one.
On top of its unique and non repetitive gameplay, comprehensive weapon and background design, excellent graphics+CG , the original score and music composed by the writer of main theme of "Enemy of the State" and "The Rock" plays an extremely important role in drawing me into the game that makes me feel that I really have the kind of burden loaded on Solid Snake, the main actor of the game, to accomplish something beyond the comprehension but for the benefit of the mass public. Sounds silly? Had you ever been so drawn into a movie by the perfect combination of the view and the music? If yes, you know what I mean. Playing MSG2 is just like being the main action of an exciting movie, an invaluable experience to be found in games.
Nevertheless, rent one and try it. You will have the same feeling as I do and understand that a really good game, like a good movie, does always linger in your mind long after you have finished it.

Islam: A Short History
Islam: A Short History
by Karen Armstrong
Price: CDN$ 12.96
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars By all means a short cut history book, nothing more., June 1 2003
This review is from: Islam: A Short History (Paperback)
The author had just put the histories of all Islam related tribes, countries and empires into this single book. That's all. Very politically correct, resulting a very plain, and even shallow description of a "seemingly" loosely related group of people labeled as "Muslims", talking little about their religious beliefs and the driving force behind the many historical and religious events.
In short, not recommended, unless you want to find a book that allows you to do some copy and paste for your secondary school history homework.

The Animatrix
The Animatrix
DVD ~ Clayton Watson
Offered by MotionPicturesUnlimited
Price: CDN$ 3.89
63 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for matrix, sci fi and anime friends who appreciate, May 18 2003
This review is from: The Animatrix (DVD)
the importance of good story lines.
The CG animation, with diverse style, is excellent. However, if you are not one of those true matrix or sci fi fans, you may not be able to appreciate the whole DVD in 100%. My wife kept on asking me why this why that and I could not satisfy her in her understandable language, though she likes the movie still (even without Keanu). The stories, which distinguished this DVD from tons of other CG OVA in rental shops, are short but great. It should be viewed as a supplement to the Matrix trilogy, I believe, though I dont know what Reloaded and Revolution are all about yet.

Paradigm Lost: The Psychology of Money and Investing
Paradigm Lost: The Psychology of Money and Investing
by F. J. Chu
3 used & new from CDN$ 66.68

2.0 out of 5 stars Philosophical essays of literature quality. Not a good....., May 9 2003
trading or investment book.
Though the author did write splendidly with clever selection of wise sayings and clever words, he failed to make it all up into a good trading or investment book. The book is quite disorganised as a whole and in lack of practical guides in behaviour fianance and trading/investment psychology as suggested by the book title. Perhaps I could get it better by reading it once more per advice of another reviewer. However, I really did not have such frustrating feeling in reading similar books, such as "Beyond Greed and Fear: Understanding Behavioral Finance and the Psychology of Investing by Hersh Shefrin" and "The Psychology of Finance by Lars Tvede". Put it straight, there are much better alteratives for readers interested in this topic.
p.s. Perhaps my purchase of this book was charmed by the quote from Sigmund Freud beside the content page: Money questions will be treated by cultured people in the same manner as sexual matters, with the same inconsistency, prudishness and hypocrisy.

The Bourne Identity (Widescreen Collector's Edition)
The Bourne Identity (Widescreen Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ Franka Potente
Offered by Round3CA
Price: CDN$ 8.65
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining. Good story. Good casting and performance, May 7 2003
I had not read the original story but gone straightly to the DVD. To my surprise, the movie is much more entertaining than I expected. Perhaps the original novel is a good plot so without many action scenes or special effect (Matt is in no way an action star or a James Bond) so common in today's action or assasin thrillers, I "felt" that I had finished watching the movie real fast. Highly recommended for those who appreciate the importance of a good story line.
p.s. Actually I dont know the name of the supporting actors and even the main actress. But I must say the casting and their performance are really good so it is quite easy to get "dissolved" into the whole film.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16