Profile for Jon > Reviews

Content by Jon

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jon

Death of a Dragon
Death of a Dragon
by Ed Greenwood
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Now thats a combo!, April 5 2001
This review is from: Death of a Dragon (Hardcover)
Other reviews of this book say that you should read Cormyr: a novel and Beyond the high road before reading this book. I say you should read every FR novel bfore this one if you really want to get everything out of this book. This book has a huge impact on the realms as a whole. I was so wraped up in this climatic book that I didn't do any homework the whole time I was reading it. If you are a long time realms fan this book is gong to have a great deal of meaning to you, if you are a casual fantasy reader this book is going to be a hack and slash book with minor other characteristics. Me being a long time FR fan found this book to be very emotional. It shows the horrors of war and the casualties.... It is noce to see author collaborations such as this, because Denning and Greenwood have played such a big part in making the realms come alive in the past, it only seemed fitting that two authors such as this would take on such a task. Anyways read this book if you enjoy FR novels. If you don't read them, you may be dissapointed.

The Magehound: Counselors & Kings, Book I
The Magehound: Counselors & Kings, Book I
by Elaine Cunningham
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Mrs. Cunningham rules!!!, April 5 2001
I think my biggest dissapointment with this novel was that it did not have EC's other characters in it, but that in no way makes this a bad novel. Elaine Cunningham, is an excellent writer and this book is one of her best ones yet. It is nice to finally see a little written about area of Toril finally come to life. My favorite part about this book is the way that the characters are not always 100% confident on where they stand morally, it makes for much more interesting characters, not to mention, more realistic. Other excellent features include philosophical debates, interesting antagonists (Kiva is great), some humor and a nice amount of action. If you enjoy good fantasy, with characters that are not practically demi-gods then you can not go wrong with reading the Magehound, its an wonderful novel. I can't wait for book II.

Realms of the Deep
Realms of the Deep
by Philip Athans
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but certainly not the best, April 5 2001
This book was your average Realms Anthoogy book. It had some great stories and some not so bad stories. None of them, however, were terrible by any measure. It is very interesting to read about what is happening in the other places of faerun and to other people during this period. Unfortuneatly because the Threat from the sea was the major backdrop of every story many of them became somewhat repeatative. But again not too bad. Overall it was a decent FR book, but certainly not the best.

Shadow's Witness: Sembia
Shadow's Witness: Sembia
by Paul S. Kemp
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read!, Jan. 30 2001
After reading the short story about Erevis Cale in "Halls of Stormweather" I was very excited to get my hands on this full novel about him. The Characters in "Shadow's Wintess" are quite a nice change from your average Hero's in Fantasy novels and thats what makes the difference in this novel. Its about time that some rogues took center stage in a novel instead of being the supporting characters. The novel begins very strong, but around page 250 in begins to lag a bit. Fortuneatly it does end on a high note leaving the reader wanting more. There are so many unfinished aspects of this novel that a sequel is inevitable, or so I hope. Because of the small amount of monotonous reading around the fourth quarter of the novel I was tempted to give it only four stars, but the extra little things that appeal to me as a long time Forgotten Realms reader earned the fifth star. Extras such as the appearance of a few organizations that have been neglected in the more recent Forgotten Realms novels such as the Harpers, Night Mask affiliations, and the Zhentarim. For being written by a first time novel author this book is excellent!

Servant of the Shard
Servant of the Shard
by R.A. Salvatore
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Yeah!!, Jan. 16 2001
This review is from: Servant of the Shard (Hardcover)
A new FR novel by R.A. Salavtore about Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle, the bad guys of the series.....need I say anymore? Well ok, first of all if you are not familiar with this series that includes about 17 previous novels (now that the cleric Quintet has been incorporated) it may be quite confusing to read and it would definately take away from the story as a whole if you do not know what has come before. But I'm still sure it would be enjoyable just not as enjoyable. many people have been complaining about Drizzt's absence in the new RAS FR books and thus marking the reviews lower than they really deserve. Just because your favorite character wasn't in it doesn't mean that the story that is presented and the writing is horrible. I personally am quite happy that RAS has decided to flesh out the other characters. I could go on and on about how great this book is (In fact the whole series) but I won't, you should just BUY this book and read IT!

The City of Ravens: The Cities
The City of Ravens: The Cities
by Richard Baker
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.06

5.0 out of 5 stars My New favorite, Jan. 16 2001
After reading an interview at TSR.com with Richard Baker about this book I could hardly wait to get my hands on it. I was not dissapointed in the least. The main character Jack Ravenwild is now one of my favorite FR characters ever. This book is so witty that it will have you laughing out loud as you read it. It has its fair share of intrigue and adventure that will keep you up at night because you cannot put this book down. My only complaint is that it could have been at least fifty pages longer. The end seemed a bit rushed but overal the books entirety FAR outweighs this slight setback. I hope that we will get to see more of Jack in future FR books. I highly recomend this book to any fan of the forgotten realms series or anyone who enjoys good books.

The Nether Scroll
The Nether Scroll
by Lynn Abbey
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally some characters that are realistic, Jan. 16 2001
I was fairly aprehensive about reading this book since I did not overly enjoy Lynn Abbey's last FR novel "The Simbul's Gift." But I ended up really enjoying this book, in fact I loved this book. Many people complain that the main character's are annoying or loathesome but in actuality they were quite realistic, they contained real human qualities and real human flaws, and thats what made this book so great. The hero's are not of your near demi-god proportions and thus it makes it all the more interesting to read about them trying to overcome the perils of the book, and because of this aspect you actually don't know that everyone will be alright in the end such as in an RAS book. And finally to top off the five star rating goes to the quite enjoyable, foppish demi-human of the book. Its nice to see a character such as that portrayed with some intelligence rather than completly feral characteristics. Read this book, I don't think you will be disapointed.

COUNCIL OF BLADES
COUNCIL OF BLADES
by Paul Kidd
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.22

1.0 out of 5 stars shoot me please!, May 28 2000
I am a big big forgotten realms fan and well it pains me to say how much this book sucks. Not only is the writing just hard to read its content is boring as well......and if I wanted to read a book about a frickin lazer I would buy a sci-fiction book. Its really too bad that this book was so poor because the four previous nobles books were great.