summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle sports Tools
Profile for Laura Fabiani > Reviews

Content by Laura Fabiani
Top Reviewer Ranking: 514

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Laura Fabiani (Montreal)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Reaching Angelica: Book #2 in the Tag Series
Reaching Angelica: Book #2 in the Tag Series
Price: CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Part Star Trek and part The Matrix in its pan-dimension concepts, June 4 2016
Last year I read The Path, the first book in the Tag series and I enjoyed it. You can read my review here. Reaching Angelica is the second book and once again I was pulled into some mind-bending concepts. This time though, the story doesn't take place at all on Earth but rather in a massive spaceship. A spaceship that includes a genesis crew heading on a 100-year journey to reach Angelica, a planet where they can start over.

Part Star Trek and part The Matrix in its pan-dimension concepts, the reader is once again immersed in Simon Banks's life. As in The Path, Simon is a brilliant man who narrates his story beginning with a summary of the events that ended in The Path and the preparation for his body's death and the re-awakening in a new body. When he does reawaken, 100 years have passed and he soon discovers there are super beings out there who want to annihilate life on Earth.

Once again, a lot of the book included heavy tech jargon that mostly went over my head. Although I was still able to follow the story and appreciate the concepts the author was exploring, I did find that the story lagged in the middle and I was itching for more action. The whole philosophical introspection and questioning of why are we here, the purpose of life and God comes into play and is examined with the conclusion that, of course, there is no God. While I took all this with a grain of salt in The Path, I didn't care for it in this book.

However, as in The Path, the author intersperses these serious themes with a good dose of dry humour and self-deprecating narrative so that once again, I really liked Simon. He is truly a nice guy. I also liked Zip, the telepathic dog and the way the crew worked together, although some conflict among the crew would have enhanced the plot. The author’s imagination is, as I've stated before, overwhelmingly brilliant and I’m sure classic sci-fi fans would appreciate this story. Furthermore, it's a really clean read. No profanity, sex or violence.

The story ended on a positive note and the series could easily stop here or be continued. We'll just have to see where the author's imagination will take us next.

Disclosure: I received this copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Beautiful Pretender
The Beautiful Pretender
by Melanie Dickerson
Price: CDN$ 16.68
33 used & new from CDN$ 6.15

3.0 out of 5 stars a sweet romance with action, secrets and treachery tailored to lovers of medieval historical fiction, June 4 2016
This is the second book I read by Melanie Dickerson and I like that her historical fiction novels are clean and are the perfect escapism books for a light romantic read. Dickerson's writing flows well with a steady pace and a good plotline, although I did find this one predictable. Her characters are well-drawn out, flawed and conflicted. Avelina was a good main character, and I appreciated her humbleness as well as her courageous spirit.

Reinhart, the Margrave of Thornbeck, has to find a bride but he is grumpy and not thrilled with this prospect. I had a hard time warming up to him as he didn't say much for the first half of the book except to grunt and growl. No witty repartee between him and Avelina. It's only in the second half of the book that we get his perspective on things, and he is much more vocal. I also thought he was a little too passive and clueless for a margrave (medieval title for the military commander) when it came to the cunning Fronicka and her scheming father the Duke of Geitbart. Avelina was doing all the planning and rescuing!

However, I enjoyed the story as it had the message of treating others with respect no matter their station in life and standing up for oneself. Overall, this was a sweet romance with action, secrets and treachery tailored to lovers of medieval historical fiction.

The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder (Herringford and Watts Mysteries Book 1)
The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder (Herringford and Watts Mysteries Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are a fan of cozy mysteries à la Sherlock Holmes, then you will love this book, May 1 2016
What a delightful book this was! Author Rachel McMillan succeeded in creating the female versions of Sherlock and Watson in Merinda and Jem, best friends who shun convention and take up sleuthing instead.

Although this book was a light and fun read, it was witty, comical, and romantic, too. I loved the Canadian historical setting and appreciated the author shedding light on some of the prejudices against single women and immigrants in Toronto at the turn of the 20th century.

Both Merinda and Jem are strong female characters and they want a different life other than the one they are expected to live. In their detective adventures, they pair up with two men who can appreciate their intelligence even as they admire their femininity. I cracked up during the scene when Jem first meets Ray DeLuca, an Italian immigrant. She is disguised as a man and things don't quite work out the way they were supposed to.

If you are a fan of cozy mysteries à la Sherlock Holmes, then you will love this book. Merinda is quirky, impulsive and smart, while Jem is sensible, romantic and courageous. They make a great duo as they don men's clothing, advocate women's rights and get into dangerous situations.

This is the first book in what promises to be a series with the second book titled A Lesson in Love and Murder slated to be released Sept 1, 2016. There are also two e-novellas which I plan on purchasing. I am now a fan of McMillan and her Herringford and Watts Mysteries.

Note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Uneven Exchange
Uneven Exchange
Price: CDN$ 5.22

3.0 out of 5 stars ... is an entertaining light-hearted book about a woman's unrequited love and her adventure when she gets recruited on a ..., April 10 2016
This review is from: Uneven Exchange (Kindle Edition)
Uneven Exchange is an entertaining light-hearted book about a woman's unrequited love and her adventure when she gets recruited on a mission in Mexico to catch a drug lord named Santiago. Alexandra Callet is a feisty beautiful woman who happens to look exactly like Daniela, the sister of Santiago, a criminal who is elusive and dangerous. Alexandra, who is an interior designer, discovers she has some hidden talents when she is trained in the art of going undercover to impersonate Daniela so as to get inside Santiago's secured hacienda.

Needing an adventure in her life, Alexandra accepts to take on the mission feeling that this is the right thing to do. She is a spiritual woman who believes God guides her in life. I enjoyed the whole training with the DEA office and their agents. The whole mission with its cover-ups, spy equipment, and secret agents added a good element of suspense and excitement to the story. This, coupled with humor interspersed throughout, made this a fun read.

The book is marketed as a romance but there was not enough of it for me. Alexandra is in love with Jake but we don't get to know him much. Most of the story takes place without him as she prepares for her mission and then her undercover role and adventure in Mexico. Alexandra is a well-developed character as are some of the other secondary characters but Jake is in the background most of the time. I felt some scenes with excessive dialogue of secondary characters did not propel the plot forward and could have been eliminated in favor of more scenes with Alexandra and Jake.

I like romance mystery novels and I think that S.K. Derban's writing promises some good reading in her future titles.

Note: I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Banished
Banished
by Kimberley Griffiths Little
Price: CDN$ 21.77
21 used & new from CDN$ 6.51

5.0 out of 5 stars I was swept away with this novel, March 7 2016
This review is from: Banished (Hardcover)
Yes, Forbidden left me breathless. It was one of those books that took me away and made me experience all kinds of emotions. Set in the ancient Mesopotamian desert, it contains a plot full of intrigue, romance, danger, adventure and a shocking cliffhanger ending. I was, therefore, waiting all year for its sequel Banished. Once I got my hands on Banished, I hesitated to start reading it. Would it be as good as the first one?

Well Kimberley Griffiths Little did it again. She deftly swept me away once more into Jayden's world. Into that unforgiving hot desert, with the discovery of love once again and the enemy in close pursuit. Horeb, Jayden's former betrothed, will not give up until he gets what he wants. He is vengeful and has accumulated power and will stop at nothing to pursue his lust for more power. Jayden is his key to that power and he will use her to his advantage before killing her.

Jayden is such a real character, a young woman dealing with the loss of her family, tribe and position. She pursues what is right and uses her courage to protect and rescue those she loves, even at great cost to herself. She is selfless and vulnerable, beautiful and strong, smart and feisty. She escapes and there is the hope of better things ahead even with Horeb nipping at her heels as she flees.

The reader easily feels her emotions and we mourn and rejoice with her throughout. The author truly captures desert life and the powerful intrigue of the pagan gods worshipped in those days. Having studied the Bible for 25 years, I picked up all kinds of references to the life of those who lived in the Mesopotamian lands that much of it seemed familiar to me. The author also made many references to key scenes from the first book so that it easily came to mind and I can see how some will continue in the third book.

Once again, we experience various plot twists and just when you think things are going well, danger spills forth and we are cast again into gut-wrenching scenes. As in the first book, the ending is another cliffhanger preparing us for the final installment when Jayden and Kadesh's story will climax. I groaned as I turned the last page thinking that I have to wait another year before I can once again delve into this world so different from mine, so full of memorable characters and exotic places.

If you're a fan of YA and historical fiction that has a great cast of characters and plenty of action, romance and adventure, then this is the perfect book in which to escape. This book made it on my Best Books of 2016 list. I highly recommend reading Forbidden first and then Banished. And I cannot wait to read the final book that will bring it all to an amazing conclusion, no doubt.

Disclosure: Thanks to the publisher for sending me this book for review. I was not compensated in any other way, nor told how to rate or review this product.

In Another Life
In Another Life

4.0 out of 5 stars She also falls in love with Raoul, March 4 2016
This review is from: In Another Life (Kindle Edition)
In Another Life is a well-written, atmospheric novel that takes you into Southern France both in modern day and during the medieval era. Lia Carrer is a historian who has studied the Cathar history and beliefs which include reincarnation. When she returns to Languedoc in France, where she had previously lived and where her husband Gabriel died in an accident during his bike race eighteen months previous, she must come to terms with where her life is heading.

Lia meets up with her close friends and begins the healing process. She also falls in love with Raoul, meets Lucas, a brooding photographer who enlists her help as he is creating a book on the Cathar history, and reunites with Jordi, a priest who shares her love of Cathar history. Unbeknownst to Lia, the three are connected and entangled in the history of 1208 when the Pope sanctified a crusade to exterminate the Cathars.

In Another Life reminded me of Susanne Kearsley's books, which I've enjoyed tremendously. Julie Christine Johnson deftly transported me to Southern France with her lush descriptions and keen eye for details. I enjoyed learning about a time in history I knew little about. I also enjoyed the mystery of those who came from another life because I am a fan of time travel, but in this case it was clearly reincarnation, which has less appeal for me. I liked Lia and felt for her struggles and I loved her relationship with her close friends.

I must admit I had mixed feelings about her relationship with Raoul and the way the story ended. Her relationship didn't seem real to me and I didn't see how they fell in love. There was a lack of passion that was present, which ultimately made sense seeing he had this in his former life. I can't say more without revealing the plot so I'll stop there, but this book felt somewhat anticlimactic to me. Too many loose plot threads too. I was left with a slew of questions at the end.

Apart from this, I truly did enjoy this novel. I loved the author's writing style and the way she built the aura of mystery. I liked how she easily portrayed family life in Europe and the struggles of a mourning young widow. These were strong points that resonated with me and that appealed to me. Fans of Susanna Kearsley will surely enjoy this debut novel. I certainly look forward to reading more from this promising author.

Content: There is profanity - 2 f-words - one explicit sex scene, some violence in the form of sword fighting
Note: I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Emmy Nation: Undercover Suffragette (The Suffragette Nation Book 1)
Emmy Nation: Undercover Suffragette (The Suffragette Nation Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 1.40

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling and thought-provoking read, Feb. 17 2016
This historical fiction novel about an independant woman in 1913 London who inadvertently gets involved with the suffragist movement was the hidden gem in my reading year so far. I simply loved this novel with its strong yet vulnerable heroine and its subject of women’s rights. L. Davis Munro captured the exciting but dangerous struggle women endured to be heard and respected in the early 1900. With believable characters, a good plot and a stirring time in history, this novel was a thrilling and thought-provoking read.

Emmy Nation is a smart and determined woman. She manages to avoid an arranged marriage and begins working for the police force, typing reports. When she is asked to go undercover and spy on the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU) she readily agrees since the increase in pay will satisfy her hunger pains and replace her hole-riddled boots. What Emmy was unprepared for was the effect the women and their movement would have on her and her conflicting feelings for the police officer Colin Thomas who watched her back as she spied.

Emmy experiences first-hand the prejudices and intolerances of society toward these women who are now using militant measures to get the government’s attention. I had heard of force-feedings of the women in jail who refused to eat as a protest but I did not know how utterly brutal, invasive and painful the process was. We feel for these women who fought at great cost so that all women could be respected. I devoured this novel as I raced to see how it would all end.

Although the book ends with a victorious scene, there are loose threads that strongly hint of a sequel. I am looking forward to seeing how Emmy continues in her suffragist activities and handles the compromised friendship with Colin. I can easily see this as a series for Emmy Nation is a spunky heroine worthy of the task.

Cancelled Vows (A Mac Faraday Mystery Book 11)
Cancelled Vows (A Mac Faraday Mystery Book 11)
Price: CDN$ 1.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Carr’s mysteries are fun, light-hearted reading filled with strong yet vulnerable characters, Feb. 9 2016
Cancelled Vows is the 11th book in the Mac Faraday Mystery series, and although I’ve only read one other book in this series, I can tell you that Lauren Carr’s books are stand-alone and are enjoyable even though one hasn’t read the previous books. And best of all, once you meet the cast of characters in her series (she has more than one) you just get hooked on her books!

In this installment Mac, who is the best man at his half-brother’s upcoming wedding, has the task of getting David to New York City so he can divorce the first wife he didn’t know he had. Yep! Carr knows how to infuse humor in her stories. What happens in NYC is adventurous as both brothers get embroiled in a murder they must solve.

What I like about Carr’s plots is that although the bad guys seem obvious, there is always much more than what we expect leading to plot twists and complex sub-plots that makes me wonder how she keeps it all straight because every loose thread is tied up by the end. This makes for a very satisfying ending.

Carr’s mysteries are fun, light-hearted reading filled with strong yet vulnerable characters. One of my favorite characters is Gnarly, the German Shepherd who used to belong to the US Army. His antics are hilarious and his skills in helping solve mysteries invaluable, of course.

If you’re looking for a break from a more dramatic novel, pick up one of Lauren Carr’s mysteries. After reading just a few, you’ll quickly become a fan. I know I am.

Celebrity and Entertainment Obsession: Understanding Our Addiction
Celebrity and Entertainment Obsession: Understanding Our Addiction
by Michael S. Levy
Price: CDN$ 51.47
23 used & new from CDN$ 37.61

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating look at the psychology behind the phenomenon of the 21st century's obsession with celebrities and entertainment, Jan. 28 2016
Having taken both psychology courses in the past and having worked in Social Services, I'm always interested in learning more about human behaviour. Psychologist Michael S. Levy has explored a relatively new field, that of our society's addiction to celebrities and entertainment. We all do it, and perhaps don't realize that we do. And in today's world with super easy access to the Internet 24/7, we and our children are even more vulnerable to this addiction.

Dr. Levy writes in the first person, sometimes mentioning his own personal experiences which makes this intelligent and well-written book a pleasure to read. It's not dry even though he does mention statistics and quotes from many studies and includes 40 page of notes and references in the back section of the book. The thorough index makes it easy to find information.

I was fascinated but not surprised by the information presented because I have researched how to help my kids not become so addicted to the entertainment scene. But what I did learn was why and how we are inclined to do certain things and how both our inherent nature and the social scene contribute to this. For example, we have a natural tendency towards voyeurism so even if we don't want to view something we are still drawn to it. Also we live an increasingly isolated existence and this coupled with boredom and loneliness will draw us toward this obsession with celebrities and their lives.

Essentially, as Dr. Levy states, "...we have come to rely on entertainment to feel good." Is it no wonder we are a depressed society? Entertainment has "capitalized on our humanness", Dr. Levy continues. As a mother, this book reinforced my vigilance towards what my children watch but has also made me more conscientious as to what I can do to keep my children actively engaged in society.

This book is an excellent resource and should be part of any curriculum in the studies of Psychology. I also think it's good reading for parents and social workers. Dr. Levy includes an epilogue summarizing his findings and this quote touched me:

In a world where celebrity equals talent, and where make-believe is called reality, it is most important to have real love, truth and stability in your life. - Bernie Brillstein

Indeed, how true.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Right or Almost Right: The Fine Line Between Phenomenal Success and Average Results in Network Marketing
Price: CDN$ 13.30

5.0 out of 5 stars A non-intimidating guide for those who really want to succeed at network marketing., Jan. 27 2016
If you are in involved in network marketing or are thinking of doing it, then I highly suggest you read John Haremza's book because as the title aptly states, it will teach you how to do it right. Written in the first person, Haremza, who rose from poverty and adversity to being a multi-millionare, speaks to his readers as if he were sharing the fundamentals of network marketing over coffee. Haremza simplifies the information, much like the For Dummies series, making this a non-intimidating guide for those who really want to succeed at network marketing.

The layout of the book makes it super easy to read, understand and remember the information. The book is filled with short chapters that include pictures, boxes with key concepts, inspiring quotes and question-and-answers, which I thought was brilliant because it gives confidence when dealing with objections. In any business, when one is confident in how they portray and handle questions from clients, it will help them make progress.

I didn't know quite what to expect from this book, but it certainly exceeded my expectations. Having just recently had the opportunity to get involved in network marketing, reading this book has opened my eyes considerably. Whether you are a newbie at network marketing or someone who has been doing it for awhile but has perhaps lost impetus or is doing it almost right, this book will give you all the tools to make it right and help you achieve the success you can with network marketing.

Note: I received a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20