Profile for Tom Arnold > Reviews

Content by Tom Arnold

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Tom Arnold "A beach bum" (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
True Grit
True Grit
by Charles Portis
Price: CDN$ 13.36
25 used & new from CDN$ 8.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I remembered!, Dec 18 2010
This review is from: True Grit (Paperback)
I recently heard that the Cohen Brothers were remaking the movie True Grit and that they are going to stick to the source material and not remake the John Wayne Classic. I had read the book a couple times (If I read a book more than once it is something special) but it was years ago. I decided to give it another reading with the new movie version on the way. It does not seem Possible but this book was even better than I remembered, I do believe a candidate for the great American novel. The original movie does a pretty good job of capturing the essence of the book, Wayne was a perfect Rooster Cogburn, and Kim Darby was born to play Mattie Ross, and even secondary characters like Robert Duvall as Lucky Ned Pepper are perfect. The one glaring miscasting in the original movie is Glen Cambell as the Texas Ranger La Boeuf. Cambell is such a bad actor he really does drage the movie down.

But I digress, this is a review of the book. The book is told through the point of view of an old, one armed lady, Mattie Ross. She recounts her odyssey to avenge her fathers death at the hands of the no account Tom Chaney. To help her do this she enlists the help of hard living, hard drinking, shoot first and ask questions later Rooster Cogburn. The two seem polar opposites the Bible quoting puritanical Ross and the vulgar frontier Marshal, and these differences make up a lot of the humor in the book, but over the course of their adventure the reader learns they have one thing in common and that is "True Grit." I don't want give away all the differences between the book and the movie but there are enough to make the book a different and enjoyable experience. Lets just say the style of the book is more realistic without any perfect Hollywood endings. I love a good western and this one belongs on the top shelf along with "The Ox-Bow Incident," "Lonesome Dove: A Novel," "Treasure Of The Sierra Madre" and "All the Pretty Horses: Border Trilogy (1)." And for a great modern day western I recommend "Across the High Lonesome."

Additional comment 1/15/2011: Just finished another great new western with plucky young female protagonist "The Bridge at Valentine" highly recommended.

The Wheel of Darkness
The Wheel of Darkness
by Douglas Preston
87 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars And the thrill ride continues..., Aug. 28 2007
This review is from: The Wheel of Darkness (Hardcover)
To my great surprise and wonder, my son was able to get me an advance copy of Preston and Child's newest book! What a treat! I had been eagerly waiting the release of the "Wheel of Darkness" since I finished The Book of the Dead. Its time for Pendergast and Constant Green to take a break so they travel to a Tibetan monastery in search of a peaceful recharge. But of course no peace awaits them as they are soon embroiled in another adventure! The abbot of the monastery asks them to try and recover a lost relic that could be used to wipe out humanity. I won't go further as I don't want to ruin the surprises. This may not have fear factor of the earlier books but there are plenty of thrills along with not to be missed subplots carried on from the earlier novels. Fans of these two great authors will be more than satisfied with this addition to the series!

Crooked Little Vein: A Novel
Crooked Little Vein: A Novel
by Warren Ellis
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Debut novel!, July 26 2007
Sometimes I get so tired of the traditional drivel we are fed as readers, but every once in awhile a new voice comes along that knocks my socks off and reminds me of why I read! Warren Ellis is a take no prisoners, tell it like its author-and this is his debut effort! Read the firsts chapter, heck, read the first line. "I opened my eyes to see the rat taking a piss in my coffee mug." And then try and stop! I bet you can't do it.

Ellis creates a wonderfully twisted mad world steeped in crime and sex. The humor is sharp and kept me laughing, nothing is sacred. This is the story of Michael McGill, a burned out PI who finds himself practically forced to try and find the original Constitution of the United States. No not the one we all know, this is the real one with certain hidden amendments the Founding fathers put in as safety net if the great experiment did not work. That's the basic plot premise but there is so much more going on here, but trying to explain it would be silly, and if I did accomplish this it would ruin the story. The strength and joy of this book however is in the strange and twisted characters that populate its pages. Highly recommended! Best debut book I have read since ACROSS THE HIGH LONESOME Another great read populated with interesting characters.

Da Vinci Code (Version française)
Da Vinci Code (Version française)
by N/A
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
54 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars What makes a best seller?, July 28 2005
I just read this book for the second time. the first time the book captivated me within three pages and I didn't put it down until I read it from cover to cover. I was very impressed with Mr. Brown's research regarding the Priory of the Sion, Grail Lore, sacred geometry, Mary Magdalene, LdV's artwork, and the research on Rosslyn. If I had reviewed it back then I would have given it 5 stars.

This second reading I am only giving it 4 stars. It is still an entertaining read, but I now question its mega seller success? After a little more study I have learned that what the author has written is not new to individuals who are interested in this aspect of religious history. There are a myriad of books out there discussing the Grail Lore. His ability to take these facts and weave them into a modern murder mystery I do aknowledge, but it is not that much superior to many other thriller books out there, this book though somehow became the golden child.

I recommend this book, but buy it used or get it from a friend (lord knows there are plenty of copies floating around). Spend your money on one of the new, up and coming authors that can use the support!

Persuader
Persuader
by Lee Child
19 used & new from CDN$ 2.18

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Reacher Novel, but not Last!, July 11 2004
This review is from: Persuader (Hardcover)
I found this book in a hotel reading library and decided to give it a try, and all I can say is WOW! If you like adreniline thrill rides this is the book for you! Jack Reacher Is a great Character, A man's man. Has the same attraction for me as Dirk Pitt of Cussler fame (though different in many ways). Now I have to goa back read the rest of the series?

Monday Mourning: A Novel
Monday Mourning: A Novel
by Kathy Reichs
66 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, Better!, July 11 2004
This is my First Reichs novel, I typically don't care for female authors (don't ask why I guess I'm just a Macho kind of guy) but this is a gripping story from Ms. Reichs, plenty of twists in the tale! and the paceing is perfect, leading the reader steadily onwards, but never at the cost of those all-important passages or chapters which show the struggle to get to grips with the problems faced by Tempe Brennan, the Forensic Anthropologist for the province of Quebec. Explanations of the more complex scientific examinations are neatly woven into the on-going story, and Ms Reichs pays the reader the compliment of not feeling duty bound to lead them by the hand. Now I'll have to go back and read the others in the series!

Sandstorm
Sandstorm
by James Rollins
16 used & new from CDN$ 1.69

4.0 out of 5 stars The best Rollins book yet!, June 30 2004
This review is from: Sandstorm (Paperback)
I have always enjoyed James Rollins books as kind of a guilty pleasure, there was always plenty of action wraped around a good scientific plot (scince stretched by a large imagination), but the stories always did lack in the character development department. Not that I expect much from books of this genre but it is still nice to have some character development. In this book Rollins has done a much better job with his characterizations and dialog. His hard core fans probably won't care either way, but it may help attract new fans. in fact if you are new to rollins I recomend you start with this book!

The Testament
The Testament
by John Grisham
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
262 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT WHAT I EXPECTED!, June 28 2004
...it was a good read. I was expecting something a little more thrilling, a little more intense and exciting. But the slower pace of this book still kept my attention. Grisham has a good writing style and had no trouble getting me interested in the story, the location, the people. Parts of it were like a travel documentary, but surprisingly I found it all interesting. I was never at the edge of my seat, but never wanted to put the book down.

Split Second
Split Second
by David Baldacci
83 used & new from CDN$ 0.06

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed )-:, June 21 2004
This review is from: Split Second (Hardcover)
As a fan of David Baldacci, I looked forward to this book after ordering it from Amazon. The premise was fine, but there was no real character development, there was at least one embarrassing lapse in logic (spoiler warning: when the agents suspected Jorst had hidden the gun, they never thought it through with regard to the two women who were killed), and the end was way, way too far-fetched. Like another reviewer said, the villain was an impossible cartoon, and worse, his motivation for doing all that he did was just lame. I won't even be lending this book to anybody.

Memorial Day
Memorial Day
by Vince Flynn
48 used & new from CDN$ 0.35

5.0 out of 5 stars We need more Mitch Rapps in this world!!!, June 21 2004
This review is from: Memorial Day (Hardcover)
Vince Flynn is the best writer of action thrillers in the world today. Mitch rapp is a true patriot, who is willing to do what it takes to get the job done. I do question some of his tactics, and would hate to see them become reality, but in this post 9/11 world we can't have to question things. In conclusion, this is a book that will keep you guessing until the end and is more frightening than any terror story because the plot very well could happen!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3