Profile for Effie > Reviews

Content by Effie

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Effie

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Iron King
The Iron King
by Julie Kagawa
Price: CDN$ 10.82
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome adventure with a forbidden love!!!, June 2 2014
This review is from: The Iron King (Paperback)
What can I say about Iron King?? WOW- I am SO glad I picked up this book!!! LOVED IT!
I think I had this book sitting on my shelf for almost a year now, not really wanting to read it. I'm not really into the fairy-books much but boy, am I glad I read it.

The story is about Meghan Chase a girl seemingly very normal at first glance, but going through the story Meghan ends up discovering her connection to the fey world. Her little brother Ethan, got kidnapped and taken into the fey world and Meghan is ready to do anything to get him back. When I was reading the parts with Ethan my heart sank at the thought of that cute little kid alone with vicious faeries. I had to glance at the last page(which I don't do anymore... too many spoilers) just to see if Ethan got back safely, or else I would be too preoccupied with his state rather than focusing on the story.

The story was fast paced, things happened... a lot! I believe Meghan got herself almost killed, a bunch of times throughout the book, which gave you nice action scenes and you got to see Ash in a few of them!!
By the way...I'm team ASH..(fanning herself) But you also got to see a lot of the fey, bad ones & good ones, and different kind of creatures that live in the Nevernever(fey world).

Meghan doesn't only have to worry about her brother but herself too, since she got to Nevernever pretty much everyone wants her. She has to stay alive and focus on finding Ethan without getting distracted from Ash...

Oh, Ash... I always liked seemingly cold characters that warm up to the potential love interest but Ash is pure ice...which I love!! He is the son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie court and freeking produces ice from his hands!!!! I don't know why but when I see a character with a power that has to do with ice I instantly love them! (like Gray from Fairytail) Even though in reality I hate cold and ice lol.
In this book we get a glimpse of his character and a little of his back-story and I can't wait to see more of him in the next book The Iron Daughter.

Overall I loved it and can't wait for the rest of the books, and mostly to see more of Ash....
Definitely pick it up if you are interested in paranormal books with a forbidden love story... my favourite!!!

Hex Hall Book One
Hex Hall Book One
by Rachel Hawkins
Price: CDN$ 9.49
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked it for the most part, May 7 2014
This review is from: Hex Hall Book One (Paperback)

I was looking forward to reading this book and I was excited after some of the reviews praising so much.... but it felt short for me.

Halfway through the book the story felt like it hadn't really started yet, which I didn't like since the book isn't that long.

The romance for me was almost non-existence. It felt forced throughout the whole book. I mean, there were a few scenes between Sophie and Archer but not enough of them spending time together to make you believe that they like each other. Sophie on the other hand declares she has a crush on him since he is extremely hot. And I don't doubt that, but I do doubt how that crush turned into love after a couple of months of barely any interaction. They do spend a lot of time together but we us readers don't get to see much of that time together, so I didn't really feel the love there.

Another thing I really wish I could see was the school. I was so excited about this school full of supernatural kids, going to this school that was on an island to learn their magic that I was jumping up and down. It's no secret that I LOVE Harry Potter and thought that this might be a tiny bit similar to it but not really. Just the aspect of having a school full of paranormal creatures had me in high hopes.

I wish I could have seen more of those defence classes, which Sophie spends all her time with Archer. We would get to know the cool stuff they're learning and see the two of them interact more. Or even see Sophie learning new magic tricks and learn more about her abilities.

On a side note, Sophie's only main interaction with a male student is Archer. She does have a little incidence with a male shape-shifter and the healer of the school but other than that we don't get to see her interacting with other guys which just seemed off to me. I never pay attention to stuff like that but it just seemed weird for some reason. She also doesn't have many friends so it could be that, and that I'm reading too much into it.

Overall I enjoyed it. I love anything that has to do with magic in general. I just expected a bit more I think in the love department at least, but I'm keeping my hopes high for the sequel Demonglass.

Angelfire
Angelfire
by Courtney Moulton
Price: CDN$ 14.43
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Frosy @Books Like Fairytales >> frosybookreviews.blogspot.com, Nov. 4 2011
This review is from: Angelfire (Hardcover)
This book was awesome! I'm always hesitant towards books that everyone seem to like and strongly recommend and I was glad to find out that all those people were right!

I love the aspect of reincarnation. In this book Ellie keeps coming back in order to fight demons. Not exactly what I would expect from a typical reincarnation book. I'm more of coming-back-to-life-for-love type of girl. But there is plenty of love in the air in this book.

Will is the one who brings her memories back or tries to couple of times and the attraction between them is clear but of course it wouldn't be that easy for them to get together and here comes the big and unexpected twist which I totally didn't see coming. Add more drama and tension to the love story and it's insta-love for me! What can I say? I love my characters to go through hell first in order to be together which I guess won't be far from the truth... in the next books.

Ellie as a person who has lived many lives, is filled with memories which she gradually gets back. Some flashbacks were terrible like the way she died, but others were little snippets of her and Will which makes you see the bond they share with each other and how strong it is. I hope though flashbacks continue on the next book.

Overall I loved it! Anglefire is a fast paced and action driven novel with a forbidden love that'll make you want to come back for more.

Tris & Izzie
Tris & Izzie
by Mette Ivie Harrison
Price: CDN$ 13.86
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Frosy @Books Like Fairytales >>[...], Oct. 30 2011
This review is from: Tris & Izzie (Hardcover)
I'm not familiar with the fairytale Tristan and Isolde although I may have seen the movie when I was little. Still can't remember what it was about it except from the fact that it's a love story between two star-crossed lovers... I think. So I jumped in to read this one since I always love me a good love story.

I'm not familiar with the author, haven't read anything else from her, but I liked her writing. It was simple and the story had a nice pace, without any boring moments. I wouldn't say the same for the plot though. Although I liked Izzie a little I found the story lacking a proper structure. The author doesn't give us time to know the characters and I ended up not caring about them. The scenes and dialogues between them seemed unrealistic. I mean how breaks up with his girlfriend and then after two minutes starts kissing his ex-girlfriend's best friend? Not really...

Tristan's and Izzie's love wasn't believable either. It was like they were forced to love each other or better Izzie was forced to love him... after leaving Mark. I was expecting swoon worthy moments from them but I was disappointed. Tristan was plain, one dimensional and I couldn't have cared less for him.

Sometimes Izzie would sound and act like a child. In a few scenes she sounded like those spoiled brads and I wanted to smack her head but then she would do something and change my opinion. Her attitude made me not care about her. I don't really have a problem with characters even when they are bad written as long as the plot is good. The plot or the idea behind it is good and could have been better if it was better developed.

Overall, I would say pass on this book. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either. The cover though is amazing!

Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl
Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Frosy @Books Like Fairytales >> frosybookreviews.blogspot.com, Oct. 23 2011
This is the story of three high school girls that get involved with a bad boy and the consequences of that. It is a short story wrote in verse and we get a glimpse of the three girls falling for the same boy. He moves from Josie to Nicolette and finally to Aviva looking for one thing. Sex.

I would describe this story as a cautionary tale of what happens when you get involved with a boy who looks for one thing only and you know it but choose to ignore it.

I recommend this to all girls stating high school as this could help them make the right choices.

Wake
Wake
by Lisa McMann
Price: CDN$ 10.79
91 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Frosy @Books Like Fairytales >> [...], Oct. 22 2011
This review is from: Wake (Paperback)
It was very interesting to see Janie getting sucked into dreams. Because that was what was happening. She couldn't help but be sucked into someone's dreams when she was near them. Some of them were nice but some of them were pure nightmares and it was almost impossible to get out of them.

The story is short just about 230 pages and the writing is simple and to the point. It didn't take me long to finish it. The plot was pretty much simple too with the big surprise in the end. I did not expect that about Cabel!

The romance between Janie and Cabel was pure sweetness. That's what it comes to my mind-sweet-they were so cute together and you could see how they bonded with each other, because they both have scars and burdens but they helped each other.

Overall I liked it. I wouldn't have read this if I hadn't seen it at the bookstore at the time. It was a sweet story and I'm looking forward for the rest.

Cold Kiss
Cold Kiss
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Frosy @Books Like Fairytales >> frosybookreviews.blogspot.com, Oct. 16 2011
This review is from: Cold Kiss (Hardcover)
[...]
Cold Kiss was my first book about zombies and I found myself waiting anxiously to read it. Sadly I was dissapointed. When I heard it was about zombies my first thought was that the book will be filled with a lot of zombie action but found that the book was focused on Wren and her feelings for her undead dead boyfriend. See the zombie in this story is her boyfriend that she brought to life because she couldn't handle the loss.

Throughout the book we get glimpses of how their relationship was before Danny died and Wren realizing as the time passes that the Danny she brought back has nothing to do with the Danny she fall in love with. There wasn't really any action in it but it kept me reading in the hopes I would find some in the end. Needless to say I loved Danny's and Wren's relationship, at least the 'alive' Danny.

In this story we are being introduced to the new love interest named Gabriel. I couldn't see a connection between Wren and Gabriel unfortunately and just couldn't believe that those two were falling for each other. Wren acts selfish pretty much throughout the novel and Gabriel just stood there. If I were him I would be long gone.

Another aspect of the story was Wren's family and their magical abilities which was not explained at all in the book. By the end of Cold Kiss we know nothing about their abilities expect from the fact that the women do have magic but not their uses or where it came from and what kind of powers they have.

Overall I liked the book. I was just expecting something else.

Savannah Grey
Savannah Grey
by Cliff McNish
Price: CDN$ 9.89
18 used & new from CDN$ 3.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Frosy [...], Oct. 16 2011
This review is from: Savannah Grey (Paperback)
This is a review of an ARC.

It's going to be a very difficult review to write without spoiling the book to you but I must say that I haven't read anything like this before.

Savannah is very enjoyable as a character and I got to like her from the first pages. Her throat at the beginning crept me out like it did her. She did everything she could to fix her throat and learn more about it. I liked that when she learned that the thing inside her throat was a weapon intended to kill something, she didn't back down and came to terms with what she had to do.

Reece is the only person who understands her and is somehow similar with Savannah. Together they try to understand what is in their throats before Ocrassa can find them.

Ocrassa is the bad guy or monster I would say of this story and the book contains chapters from it's point of view which I enjoyed. You can see and understand what Ocrassa is and what it did to stay alive and destroy everything around it. The Nyktmorph was the only thing that I liked from the beginning, even though it was bad it was somehow good too.

I found myself guessing constantly what will happen next and I never saw the big twist coming! I'm thinking about the book and I can't believe I never saw it! That's a good thing.

The book started slowly but then picked up really quickly and it left me turning pages so eagerly that I don't believe and haven't realized how it ended!

This book is unique and different and definitely creepy, combining horror with paranormal.
Totally suggest reading this.

Beastly
Beastly
by Alex Flinn
Price: CDN$ 9.49
74 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Frosy @Books Like Fairytales [...], Oct. 16 2011
This review is from: Beastly (Paperback)
[...]

I saw that there is going to be a movie based on this book so I though I should read this before going to see it.

It is a retelling of the fairytale story Beauty and the Beast. I never liked Beauty and the Beast as a kid. I have seen all the Disney movies but never really felt something about this story, except for the little mermaid... I loved that one!
Anyway so I thought why not read this book. I may actually like the story if it is on today's terms.

It's about a boy named Kyle and he is obsessed with his own vanity. He thinks, people that are less than perfect don't deserve any attention at all. And perfect, by his terms, is anyone who has money and beauty.
He doesn't behave nice to people that aren't perfect like him but a witch comes to put an end to that.

Sendra, is a witch that has been watching him for a while and feels discussed by what he is doing.... so she decides to give him a lesson.... an ugly one...

She transforms hims into a beast and the only way to get out of this curse is to find someone to love him in this form.
He has to find a girl to love him and of course he has to love her back in order to break the curse. And all that in two years notice.

I wouldn't say that I loved the book and that is because I don't like Beauty and the Beast so much.... but I can say that I really enjoyed it.
I liked that the book was told by the 'beast's' point of view. I liked how his character changed after his transformation. He wasn't a good guy and I didn't like him at all how he was at the beggining. A guy that was only interested in money and beauty living by his Dad's money and fame.
But all that changed when he became a beast. He became more aware that there is more out there aside from money and beauty.

He relises that he had never loved or been loved before and that seems impossible now that he is a beast.
A girl though comes to prove him wrong.

If you like fairytales being told in today's world and like the Beauty and the Beast... this is for you.

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side
Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side
by Beth Fantaskey
Price: CDN$ 16.06
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Frosy @Books Like Fairytales >> [...], Oct. 2 2011
The book was amazing! It left me wanting for more. I didn't expect to love it so more because of the title. My first thoughts when I saw the title was that it was another cheesy vampire book but I was so wrong and I am gland. Don't judge a book from its cover and title!

The storyline was interesting so far from most vampire books. I liked that you got into the story from the very first page. The story has passion, sadness, violence, and politics....things that were combined really well, and seemed to bond nicely together.

The characters were all well developed especially Lucius. At the beginning you see him as the vampire prince he is, taught and manly but afterwards you get a glimpse of the boy who struggles with fate along with Jessica.

This is a debut novel for the author and her writing was refreshing and easy going.
I would recommend this to anyone who like vampires.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6