Profile for peg2 > Reviews

Content by peg2

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

peg2 (Chicago, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Christopher Lowell's Seven Layers of Design: Fearless, Fabulous Decorating
Christopher Lowell's Seven Layers of Design: Fearless, Fabulous Decorating
by Christopher Lowell
49 used & new from CDN$ 3.37

5.0 out of 5 stars great ideas!, Jan. 25 2002
Okay, so his taste and mine aren't even vaguely similar. That doesn't mean there aren't some great ideas in this book. I like how Mr. Lowell breaks everything down to a point where the decorating-impaired (such as myself) can handle a redecorating job. You don't have to do everything he says; choose what works for you.
I've been putting off redecorating for years, because I was paralyzed by all the decisions that have to be made. This book sets a starting point, and then the next place to work on, and so on, until you have a nicely decorated room. Yes, his taste is a bit over the top, but I can see the value in his approach.
If you're looking for absolutes, don't buy this book. If you're looking for a place from which to take off, this could be the book for you.

Joy of Cooking
Joy of Cooking
by I ROMBAUER
82 used & new from CDN$ 8.42

5.0 out of 5 stars If it's not in here, you probably don't need it, Dec 4 2001
This review is from: Joy of Cooking (Hardcover)
Okay, if you demand a book listing a thousand ways to cook potatoes, this book is not for you. However, if you're throwing a dinner party and you've never cooked a roast before, this book will get you through it with an ease you never thought possible. My one disappointment is that there aren't a lot of "serve with this" suggestions; on the other hand, a quick flip through the section detailing the things I might serve with my roast (say, potatoes) will allow me to come up with a number of accompaniments I might not have thought of otherwise.
I have the 1975 edition also. With all the slaps at the new edition, I have to say that a lot of the biases in the 1975 book are gone in the new one; e.g., the new one recognizes microwaves as a fact (necessity?) of life, where the earlier version deemed microwaves as unworthy of the authors.
Every so often you've got to update, and as updates go, this is a very good one.

Structural Yoga Therapy: Adapting to the Individual
Structural Yoga Therapy: Adapting to the Individual
by Mukunda Stiles
Price: CDN$ 34.48
34 used & new from CDN$ 34.48

1.0 out of 5 stars A yoga book without photos is pretty useless, March 31 2001
There are no photos, the illustrations are amateurish, and the descriptions aren't all that great. If you need to adapt your practice, the books to buy are Yoga for Wellness by Gary Kraftsow and Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness by Eric Schiffman.

by J. Robert Brown
11 used & new from CDN$ 12.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book - it's a waste of money, March 12 2001
This book is very poorly written. Yes, there are usable things in it, but you're better off buying the X Toolkit Cookbook (if you need a tutorial approach), or the Motif Programming Manual (Volume 6A from O'Reilly).

by J. Robert Brown
11 used & new from CDN$ 12.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT waste your money on this book, March 9 2001
This book reeks. It's poorly written, and organized so badly I was tearing my hair out after the first few chapters.
Buy "X Toolkit Cookbook" - it's so much better, it defies description.

Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
by Erich Schiffmann
Price: CDN$ 16.60
49 used & new from CDN$ 8.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book. Now., March 1 2001
This book is a must for all but the most advanced practitioner. Mr. Schiffman's perspective is unique. Most books don't give anywhere near enough detail. On first look, it would seem that Mr. Schiffman gives way too much detail; after reading, and trying, his instructions, I've seen that there's no such thing as too much detail. Postures I'd given up because they didn't do anything for me now feel really good. If you're serious about your practice, you want this book.

Chocolate
Chocolate
by Ni Malgieri
Price: CDN$ 31.50
29 used & new from CDN$ 12.53

5.0 out of 5 stars oooooooooh, baby!, Dec 21 2000
This review is from: Chocolate (Hardcover)
There isn't anything I've tried in this book that hasn't been wonderful. My very favorite thing would be the cinnamon stick truffles -- a friend says I should call them chocolate fudge explosions!
No, there aren't a lot of pictures; on the other hand, I don't happen to think they're necessary. No, there isn't an overwhelming amount of technical advice, but there is just enough, and I happen to think that's good enough.

Death By Chocolate Cakes
Death By Chocolate Cakes
by Marcel Desaulniers
24 used & new from CDN$ 5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars To die for! No pun intended..., Oct. 19 2000
I could die happy just reading this book. Another wonderful, decadent, and very well-laid-out (both the look of the book and the recipe directions are fabulous) book. I'm especially fond of his comments on dusting madeleine pans with flour (sorry, you'll have to read the madeleine recipe).
I brought the Cocoa Pound Cake to work this morning, and it's everything you would expect from Mr. Death by Chocolate. It's buttery, fudgy, nicely chocolate. The perfect thing with midmorning coffee. Needless to say, it disappeared in seconds.

Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
by Gary Kraftsow
Price: CDN$ 19.75
37 used & new from CDN$ 13.26

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good book, but not for beginners, Sept. 5 2000
I like this book. I've been trying to get back into my practice for the last couple of years, after a number of orthopedic rehabs. I haven't been too successful; most books are awfully rigid about the "right" way to do the postures.
Then I got my hands on this book. There are still a few postures I can't do, and shouldn't do, and will never be able to do. For the rest, Mr. Kraftsow shows adaptations that are allowing me to ease back into my practice, and feel like I'm doing myself some good. If you've looked everywhere else, try this.
I do have a problem with this book, though. It's not for beginners. It does give decent descriptions of what you should be doing at each stage of a posture, and how each stage should feel, but it doesn't give those things with the descriptions of each series of postures. I think that's a big drawback; you're not going to follow one of his practices and keep flipping backward to find out how exactly to do it. On the other hand, if you're not a beginner, this may be as good a book for you as I'm finding it is for me.

In a Sunburned Country
In a Sunburned Country
by Bill Bryson
74 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for that...!, Aug. 25 2000
This review is from: In a Sunburned Country (Hardcover)
Wonderful book. For those of us who tend to be armchair travellers, Mr. Bryson does all of the research AND all of the difficult travel! And he's funny, besides. What could be better?
As I read this, I could picture myself on the cross-country train, getting stranded in the desert, seeing the Big Lobster, and getting stung by something I'd regret. That, to me, is the mark of a good travelogue -- you are there.
Some say they found "A Walk in the Woods" preachy, and that this book is refreshing in that it's not preachy. I'll take issue with the term elsewhere; the difference here is (as Mr. B points out) that there's no need to warn the Australians of what they could be losing -- they do a very nice job of conservation themselves, thank you. Unlike us. But that's another story.
Read this book. If you want a good laugh, if you want to go to Australia, if you don't want to go to Australia. It's very definitely worth the read.

Page: 1 | 2