Profile for maungle > Reviews

Content by maungle

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"maungle" (Sydney, Australia)

Speaking in Tongues
Speaking in Tongues
Price: CDN$ 9.44
47 used & new from CDN$ 4.48

5.0 out of 5 stars My First CD, Feb. 6 2003
This review is from: Speaking in Tongues (Audio CD)
I had just been to see Talking Heads' amazing concert film "Stop Making Sense", and asked my parents for the album for my birthday (I think this was 1984). My family had just bought our first CD player, and I was looking forward to getting my first ever CD. On the day, I was disappointed to rip open the wrapping paper and discover a different CD to the one I was expecting - "Speaking in Tongues". Apparently, the "Stop Making Sense" soundtrack had not yet been released in Australia. I hid my disappointment well, which was lucky - on first listening, the album was amazing.
What is more amazing is that nearly 20 years on, it remains one of the most played CDs in my collection (and there have been a lot more added in those 20 years!) Also, the first track, 'Burning Down the House' is the most sublime pop song ever recorded.

Repo Man (1984 Film)
Repo Man (1984 Film)
Price: CDN$ 12.66
29 used & new from CDN$ 5.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Repo Man and Other Great Soundtracks, Aug. 13 2001
This review is from: Repo Man (1984 Film) (Audio CD)
Since I first saw Repo Man as an impressionable Australian 14 year old (17 years ago!), it has stayed firmly as my favourite all-time movie. For me, one of the great things about a soundtrack is in the memories it evokes of images from the film. I have seen Repo Man so many times now that I can see the scenes from every song - like Emilio Estevez cruising down the street to the strains of "Pablo Picasso", and Sy Richardson scaring the pants off a naive Otto while "Bad Man" plays on his car stereo.
I wasn't a punk fan when I saw it, and I'm still not one, but the music has had a huge influence on my enjoyment of the movie. If anyone is interested, other soundtracks I would put in the same league are (in no particular order) "Blade Runner", "Room with a View", "Angel Heart", "Wild at Heart", "Stormy Weather", "Pulp Fiction", "Mystery Train", "Walker" (another Alex Cox movie) and "Diva".