Profile for Amanda Miller > Reviews

Content by Amanda Miller

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amanda Miller (San Francisco, CA)

The Total Package: The Secret History and Hidden Meanings of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Other Persuasive Containers
by Thomas Hine
Price: CDN$ 23.74
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, May 20 2004
A wonderfully interesting book about the history of product packaging. Very thorough and engaging -- I had no idea how important the paper bag was! Rich with insights about consumer behavior in marketplaces and the geographic evolution of the American shopping experience. I go it from the library and wound up buying it as a reference book for years to come!

Trading Up
Trading Up
by Michael Silverstein
50 used & new from CDN$ 0.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, but there's others out there, May 20 2004
This review is from: Trading Up (Hardcover)
Good case studies. Interesting if you haven't read other books on the sociology of shopping. I think Twitchell's Living it Up: Our Love Affair With Luxury is a more thorough and engaging read that explores the same issues. I'll put it this way: I got both books from the library to read. The Twitchell book I decided to actually buy because I knew I would be re-reading it again and again over the years.

The Paradox Of Choice: Why More Is Less
The Paradox Of Choice: Why More Is Less
by Barry Schwartz
Price: CDN$ 20.05
29 used & new from CDN$ 13.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read!, May 20 2004
If there was a class on the sociology of shopping, this would be a required book. A fascinating read on the challenges fraught during a shopping experience and the evolution of choice during the 21st century. A highly enjoyable read!