Profile for jeannie-ology > Reviews

Content by jeannie-ology

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"jeannie-ology" (North Carolina)

Legends-Vol. 3 Stories By The Masters of Modern Fantasy
Legends-Vol. 3 Stories By The Masters of Modern Fantasy
by Terry Pratchett
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, the revs & book info for all 3 vols are mixed up, Sept. 21 2002
I purchased this book looking for the stories by King and McCaffrey, only to find out that they are in a different volume. The reviews and book info are the same for all three volumes, so I suppose this review will also be listed on all three. Anyway, this is a review for LEGENDS 3!
There are four stories in Legends 3:
New Spring, by Robert Jordan, a Wheel of Time story.
Dragonfly, by Ursula K. Le Guin, an Earthsea story.
The Burning Man, by Tad Williams, a Memory, Sorrow and Thorn story.
The Sea and Little Fishes, by Terry Pratchett, a Discworld story.
This is a case where they saved the best for last :) Each story gets progressively better. I thought I would go ahead and read this book rather than return it since I am always on the lookout for new (to me) fantasy writers. After all the hype about Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, I must say I was sorely dissappointed. The story was fairly interesting, and maybe the books are better than this short story, but I can't say I'm in much of a hurry to buy them now. However, I think maybe my daughter might like the children's versions.
Dragonfly was better, and the ending was the best part of all. If this was the beginning of the series, I'd be much more likely to want to buy the books, but from what I can figure out, this happens at the end of the series. Will we ever find out what happens next? I kinda doubt it. There hasn't been a new book in this series for a long time. But, I might eventually check this series out.
The Burning Man was pretty cool. It seemed to kinda stand alone though. Can't really imagine what the series is like.
The Sea and Little Fishes was the coolest. The whole Discworld thing, the world being flat and flying thru space on the backs of four elephants riding on a giant turtle was a little weird, but that hardly had anything at all to do with the story. It was about witches, not so much about magic as how they interacted with one another and with the mortals all around them. I think I'd like to read more of these.
I hope you find this helpful and don't make the same mistake that I did, thinking all of these stories are in one book, because they are actually in three. If you did find it helpful, please vote that you did. Thanks!

Black House
Black House
by Stephen King
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
55 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars He never disappoints, does he?, Sept. 16 2002
Ever really looked forward to a book and then when you finally read it, it let you down? Ever had that happen with a King book? I doubt it. His excellence is consistent, you have to give him that :)
This is the sequel to Talisman, written by King and Straub ages ago. I think it was one of the first King books I ever read, and I really didn't remember much about it except thinking that it was pretty cool, but as I read Black House, it came back to me in bits and pieces, enough to make me want to go back and read it again (if only I could remember where I put it!). Jack Sawyer, our hero, has grown up and forgotten (supressed) his memories of The Terratories. Events necessitate that he bring these memories to the surface in order to find a missing boy, catch a Dahmer-type serial killer, and (of course) save our world as well as all of those connected to it.
These books take place in the same realm as the Gunslinger books and are guaranteed to please any fan of that series. Will there be another sequel in this line? There is certainly room for it. Personally, I hope that there will be and that we won't have to wait quite so long this time!
In a nutshell, Stephen King proves himself not only the King of Horror, but of Fantasy as well. Plenty of each to please both types of customers. Check it out and get ready for a couple of all-nighters :)