Profile for James Field > Reviews

Content by James Field

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

James Field "jamesfield10" (New Westminster, British Columbia Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
To Kill A King [Blu-ray] [Import]
To Kill A King [Blu-ray] [Import]
DVD ~ Tim Roth
Offered by moviemars-canada
Price: CDN$ 22.62
7 used & new from CDN$ 14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars To Kill the Truth, May 21 2015
At first this started out seeming like a fairly good historical drama. Then came what I will call the “huh factor.” I know a bit about the English Civil War and Cromwell, and bits of history would come back to me and I would go “huh?” I won’t deign to call them historical inaccuracies. Lies is more like it. The scriptwriter obviously had a point to make, and he could see no way of doing it without hitting you over the head with a sledgehammer. That required a lie, of course, because truth tends to be more subtle and messy. An example is the heavy-handed treatment of Charles’ trial. Mercifully, it was short, but even in such a short treatment they managed to do huge historical injustices to the truth. Another thing, why call it "To Kill a King?" The movie is really about the relationship between Cromwell and Fairfax, and the King's trial and execution a mere sideshow. There is, despite this, some good performances. Rupert Everett was delightfully pompous and arrogant as Charles I. Dougray Scott was good as the conflicted Fairfax. I’m not sure what to make of Tim Roth as Cromwell because I’m not sure how much he is to blame and how much it is just the was the part was written, which is to say, pretty badly. Oh, and the sets and the costumes were good. The two stars are for the acting and sets and costumes.

Atlantis
Atlantis
DVD ~ Jack Donnelly
Price: CDN$ 16.99
22 used & new from CDN$ 15.21

1.0 out of 5 stars Some balance to those positive reviews, May 9 2014
This review is from: Atlantis (DVD)
I can see how this series might appeal to some viewers, but to my mind it is shallow and trite. The characters are all flat and stereotypical, the themes uninspiring and cliché. The treatment of mythology is corny. I can't think of one good thing to like about it. I should have known better but I was persuaded by all those positive reviews to give it a try. I've watched four episode now and they get worse each episode. I doubt if I will finish watching it.

Prisoners of War Season 1
Prisoners of War Season 1
DVD ~ Yoram Tolledano
Price: CDN$ 29.98
2 used & new from CDN$ 25.95

5.0 out of 5 stars no problem playing, Nov. 28 2013
This review is from: Prisoners of War Season 1 (DVD)
I purchased this dvd and (unlike the previous reviewer) had no problem playing it on my Toshiba DVD player. I haven't finished watching it yet, but so far I have enjoyed it. I purchased it because I am a fan of Homeland and I wanted to see how the original Isreali series compared. It is, of course, a very different perspective and style and the Isreali series pursues themes and character development that are quite distinct from the American series and therefore worth viewing. Based on what I have seen up to this point (I'm half way through) I give it 5 stars.

2012 (Bilingual)
2012 (Bilingual)
DVD ~ John Cusack
Price: CDN$ 14.00
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood hyperbole, Aug. 26 2013
This review is from: 2012 (Bilingual) (DVD)
Good special effects, high production value and non-stop action. Yes, and even some good acting. I loved Wooky Harrelson's mad radio host routine, even if it was a little over the top. But the writers were pretty ham fisted sometimes with their outrun the fireball/volcano/earthquake/tidal wave/falling sky scraper routine. How many times can they juice this thing? By the time John Cusack crawled out of the crevice that had just swallowed him up and made a run for the apirplane that was already taking off I had had enough. Obviously subtlty was not one of the producers virtues. The part about the mutant neutrinos had me rolling my eyes, but I since found out that is not so far fetched. There really are such things. So the writers must have at least done some research. But the idea of selling seats on the ark to the rich and powerful was ludicrous. I have no doubt that if it came to the end of the world the rich and powerful would all be rushing to make sure they were at the front of the line, but why in the name of heaven would governments of the world need their money. It's the end of the world, remember. Governments can print money. Who's going to worry about inflation or debt? I went into this in the full expectation that I had a couple hours to waste. So I got what I expected.

The Lord of the Flies (Widescreen)
The Lord of the Flies (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Balthazar Getty
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 69.21
13 used & new from CDN$ 14.48

1.0 out of 5 stars based on... what?, Aug. 18 2012
This movie purports to be based on William Golding's Lord of the Flies, a great piece of literature. The makers of this movie must have figured that "based on" meant it would be a good idea to depart from the novel at almost every point it they got it into their heads to do so, with or without (and in their case without) any good reason. In every case it is for the worse, and the final result is a travestry. If you want to see how it should have been done, just watch Peter Hall's black and white version. With a version like that around anyone has to be either very good or very stupid to attempt compete. I leave it to the reader to guess to which category the makers of this movie belong.

Outlander
Outlander
DVD ~ Jim Caviezel
Price: CDN$ 5.00
24 used & new from CDN$ 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars a pleasant surprise, July 5 2012
This review is from: Outlander (DVD)
I ordered this dvd because it was cheap and I needed to add a couple dollars to another order to get free shipping. I thought, why not? I'm glad I did. The premise sounded interesting, but I have seen other movies attempt similar premises and make a hash of it. Not this one. It held together the two genres of science fiction fantasy and historical action and didn't stumble with the ball once. It made the story believable and in the process added an interesting twist to the old Beowulf tale. I recommend this movie.

Hamlet at Elsinore
Hamlet at Elsinore
DVD ~ Various
Price: CDN$ 17.93
23 used & new from CDN$ 15.83

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great Hamlets, June 10 2012
This review is from: Hamlet at Elsinore (DVD)
I can't agreee with the reviewer who complained about the video quality. It is a TV production from the sixties, but the video quality is excellent for all that. And the acting is superb. Christopher Plummer is one of the great Shakepearean actors of our time and we are priveleged to see him here at the beginning of his illustrious career. We also see another Canadian actor at the beginning of his career: Donald Sutherland playing Fortinbras. I believe it was his very first role. And Michael Caine playing Horatio, and of course, Robert Shaw as Claudius. Could you ask for more?

Man From Nowhere, The
Man From Nowhere, The
DVD ~ Won Bin
Price: CDN$ 21.00
23 used & new from CDN$ 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars more of the same, March 23 2012
This review is from: Man From Nowhere, The (DVD)
There are good guys and there are bad guys. And there are children. The bad guys are very bad. There is a lot of shooting and swearing and a lot of people get hurt. The good guy wins and hugs child. You've probably seen all this before. Give yourself a break.

Inception / Origine (Bilingual)
Inception / Origine (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Price: CDN$ 4.88
43 used & new from CDN$ 1.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Who dreams like this?, Feb. 24 2011
As an action thriller, the movie isn't bad. As an attempt to explore the concept of entering other people's dreams and answering that age old question of the relationship between dreams and reality, I think it is a failure. No one dreams like this. Many movies have portrayed dreams in a very effective way. I am thinking of "The Science of Dreams," for example. This one cannot resist the opportunity of showing off Hollywood's special effects prowess, and this destroys any believability. And guns and explosions and car crashes and everything. Does anyone really dream like that? Considering Christopher Nolan's previous movies, I expected better.

Balzac: A Passionate Life [Import]
Balzac: A Passionate Life [Import]
DVD ~ Gérard Depardieu
Offered by eplayplay
Price: CDN$ 41.81
7 used & new from CDN$ 32.41

2.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, bad dubbing, April 5 2010
This is a great movie, but there is no French audio and the dubbing is terrible, especially the actor who dubbed Depardieu, a man with a wonderful voice. Spend the extra movie and buy the Fox Lorber version in the origninal French. I'd give that a 5 star rating. Wonderful biographical movie of Balzac. The French are good at these sorts of things. The acting is first rate.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4