Profile for kaykath > Reviews

Content by kaykath

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

kaykath (Labrador City, Newfoundland Canada)

Angel:S4
Angel:S4
DVD ~ David Boreanaz
Offered by Round3CA
Price: CDN$ 17.58
14 used & new from CDN$ 7.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistantly excellent season with a novel length story, Sept. 4 2004
This review is from: Angel:S4 (DVD)
Consistantly great. This season rewards fans of continuing storylines and epic length story arcs. The tension builds slowly but consistantly at first than becomes a true rollercoaster of cliffhangers and story twists. Watching this season live was thrilling, the hiatuses between episodes were almost intolerable!
The story continues from the great setup at the end of season 3. But season 4 is a wonderful step up from that often excellent but also inconsistant season which suffered from some truly horrible mid season episodes and unfortunate romantic B plots like everybody loves Fred.
While season 4 continues some of those "romantic" plots, fortunately they either contribute meaningfully to the overall plotline or take a backseat to strong main stories. Thankfully they are also balanced out by the Wesley/Lilah relationship, which is the most complex, intriguing and chemistry laden romantic relationship to occur on AtS...even if it's more than a little twisted.
Like Buffy the Vampire Slayer 7 (which also attempted a season long story arc that year), there are few standalone episodes. Most of them occur early in the season. On Angel though something exciting & interesting happens in each episode. Thus the episodes are individually strong & distinctive while still contributing to the season long story. Multi-episode mini story arcs, like Faith's, also fit well into the overall season while simultaneously breaking it up into distinctive sections.

Another contrast to BtVS is the production values. This season has excellent, high quality production values, as near movie quality as it gets on network tv. I can't wait to see it on dvd!
Excellent storytelling, great acting, complex and intriguing characters (Wesley, Angel, Connor, and Lilah all stand out), plus terrific production values. This is definitely the best season of Angel and one of the best seasons of any tv show.
I can't think of any reason why a fan of great tv wouldn't get this dvd. Unless they were scared off by the ugly dvd cover, hopefully it won't look that bad in person. ;) Ignore the cover! Get the dvd, then watch the episodes over and over and enjoy them before the much weaker season 5 comes out!!

Fabulous Lo-Carb Cuisine
Fabulous Lo-Carb Cuisine
by Ruth Glick
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Overly simplistic & over-priced, Jan. 11 2004
After reading all the reviews I picked this book hoping to get some ideas for low carb. meals/side dishes for my Mom. I was extremely disappointed.

Many of the recipes are very simple and obvious to anyone who does basic cooking. For example, cheese tortillas= cheese + buy (brand name) low carb tortillas. There is only one recipe per page and in at least 2 cases the recipe was repeated + one other ingredient and took up another page as a seperate recipe. Every other recipe book I have just tacks that kind of thing on at the end as extra serving ideas.

Many of the recipes also use Splenda (which was my reason for NOT buying one of the other books I read the reviews of).

There are some interesting dip and dessert recipes but little in the way of actual meals or side dishes for those on low-carb diets and looking for alternatives.

Basically this book is terribly overpriced for what it gives you. It's a $5/$7 value at best and if I'd looked at it in a book store I'd have only bought it from the $2 bargain bin.

Overpriced, beginner book.

The Target
The Target
by Catherine Coulter
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 8.54
115 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Wanted: Editing, Jan. 11 2004
This review is from: The Target (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first Catherince Coulter novel I've read in a few years and I was really disappointed. There's a decent story in here...it's just 3/4 drafts from being finished. A lot of the dialogue felt awkward and unnatural to the point of taking me completely out of the story. Some pages really seemed amateurish.
Many of the characters' actions seemed completely illogical especially given that some of them are supposed to be highly educated and experienced law officials. The bad dialogue and strangeness of their actions really kept me from getting interested in the characters. I also noticed one big inconsistancy that should have been caught in basic editing.
This really felt like the work of a first time author instead of one with many novels under her belt. If it had been the first Catherine Coulter novel I'd read I really doubt I'd have read another. I'd reccomend skipping this one and reading "The Sherbrooke Bride" which I'm going to reread and hopefully remind myself why I liked this author.